“need to pay attention to detail”
Review of Cliffden Hotel

and 1 more site!
Cliffden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Teignmouth
Reviewed 27 May 2013

we booked this hotel at the last minute and although it stands in lovely grounds and is a pleasant walk along the sea front this hotel needs to up it's game.

When I booked through the website (not the hotels) it insisted in booking us as one person, so I a made comment that it was actually two people.

The hotel rang to say they had seen it was for two people, so no problems.
Arrived at the hotel to find the computer still had us down as one person so they had to go and add another towel etc.

Next problem was no WiFi, it's only available in the public areas and doesn't extend to the bedrooms.

The hotel specialises in catering for the visually impaired so the room alarm clock is of the talking variety. At 7pm it went off as the time was completely incorrect. I can't understand why a hotel catering for the visually impaired doesn't check this type of detail. Also there wasn't a door stopper so the door handle had left a very neat hole in the wall. The shower was luke warm.

The room itself was a good size but hot so we had to leave the window open and as we were beside the road it was noisy.

Breakfast: we were given the worst table in the room, right next to the kitchen door, like standing in a busy street with traffic wizzing past. I had unrestricted views into the kitchen when the door was open and watched the chef punch the top of the rubbish bin down to make more room then pick up a sausage without tongs. The cooked breakfast had little presentation, seemingly just dumped on a plate. The egg was overcooked as they do them in batches then make up the plates as needed. The sausage didn't taste of much and the toast was floppy. All in all great opportunity for improvement esp at £8.50 a pop.

The hotel itself has a tired appearance with many areas that need decorating and the running of the hotel has an amateurish feel to it which is not helpedhelped by the quality of the various notices around the place. It's such a shame as the grounds and sea view are easily good enough for a wedding venue.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mfayr

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Like some other reviewers, I was unaware at the time of booking that this hotel has previously specialised in the needs of the blind/visually impaired/people with other disabilities. However, when we arrived the receptionist (Sarah) was friendly and welcoming and our room was reasonably large and well presented and the tea/coffee tray was well stocked. Local attractions were listed in a folder provided. The grounds are extensive and well appointed and access to the seafront via the back gate (key available from reception - £5 deposit required) makes it simple to get on the promenade and thence access the town centre. We were there on a B&B basis and although I don't eat breakfast my wife does and she said that it was very nice. Dinner can be from the set menu but the A la carte supplements are quite high. Food in the dining room was good and adequate portions. Service was also good. One point to make though: dinner is only served between 18:00 and 20:00 hours. It is advisable to choose your selection at the bar before proceeding into the dining room. Our fellow guests included both sighted and visually impaired (or hearing impaired) and they were all jolly friendly and more than happy to have a chat and join in at the bar/lounge. We have met some truly interesting and inspirational people at this hotel. Sleep quality was very good and the bed was very comfortable. The TV may be a bit small but when you are on holiday you only need a TV for the weather forecast, don't you? All in all my wife and I really enjoyed the long weekend we spent at this hotel and will not hesitate to go there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DeltaPapa
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Disliked the Cliffden Hotel for a number of reasons, we stayed for Easter week end knowing it is a Vision Hotel but the Hotel is very old fashioned and worn and out dated, the walls are grubby and carpets smell. Our first breakfast I chose "cold ham with a platter of cheese", when it finally arrived it was a slice of tasteless ham and a pile of grated mild cheese!! thought platter was a selection? My husband had the "full english" you could drain the grease off the egg and squeeze the fat off the fried bread.,Our second breakfast I asked about the scrambled eggs and the waitress said they are already cooked!! so forget the scrambled egg's.We went for the "smoked fish with poached egg" the fish was boiled in water, yuk. that was £10 each. The gate key to a short cut out of the grounds did'nt work. On checking out we were never asked if we had enjoyed our stay....just as well. Not worth £70 a night. And would'nt recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on other occasions as we have friends who live locally. The location cannot be faulted with easy access to beach and town. The grounds are first class and the hotel, now part of the RNIB empire, is truly dig friendly.
BUT (there's always a but) the service can leave something to be desired. It's not the staff it's the culture. Example: we paid for B&B and ordered boiled eggs (note plural) and toast and a croissant. We were told we shouldn't really have both (toast or a croissant). To buy breakfast is £9.95 by the way so it ain't cheap. You have a table allocated but, as we changed rooms, they never did quite get around to allocating so we had to wait whilst they set a table for us. The boiled egg (singular, well I did have the temerity to ask for a croissant) arrived without a spoon to eat it with.
The food is not great and I cannot recommend it but the place is great for those who want or need that 'full board' and entertainment experience.
We know its target market are the visually impaired and blind and its doggy heaven if you like being around well behaved dogs (ours is but more by luck than judgement as we are gratefully sighted and she is a pet). It's just a strange, almost weird, 'have this and be grateful' attitude to service that makes me smile. Be aware but don't be put off especially if you want a genuinely let friendly hotel that is well positioned for all Teignmouth has to offer- that's another story.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I just stayed at Cliffden last weekend and our room was comfortable and pleasant. We never was interrupted in the mornings as there was a door sign to let them know you do not want to be disturbed, so just a thought. Staff were very helpful when assistance was required but not in your face. Food was excellent and plenty of choice, yes staff kept coming up and asked for our orders 3 times, but at least they are making sure we not kept waiting. The only complaint about the breakfast is that they no longer server hash browns as no one wanted them, well 5 of us did and I think the organisation could put a small bag in the freezer if quizzed. The only grip I had was the price of a large glass of wine £4.50 come on most blind people who visit are on benefits of no choice of their own, bit steep dont you think. But all in all, I would go again, but I will go to mcdonalds 99p coke.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidBrooks42
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I wavered between an 'average' and a 'very good' rating . . . the hotel itself was grand, spacious, comfortable and clean, as was our room. However, I really didn't rate the restaurant and some of the fixtures and fittings in the bathroom had seen better days. I feel a bit guilty being too harsh, though, as the hotel specialises in breaks for the blind and partially sighted and it seemed to be doing that extremely well. It was wonderful to see so many well behaved dogs! The pool was huge and warm and the grounds were lovely. Not amused that housekeeping tried several times to get in and clean the room before we'd even checked out (well before the 11am check-out time, too!), but I guess that's just me being picky. On the whole, lovely hotel to use as a base, but I would definitely eat out if I stayed again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The Cliffden is a 3* hotel a short walk from the centre on Teignmouth. The hotel is slightly old fashioned, a little worn in places but did what you want from a hotel. Lovely clean room where everything worked, bed comfy, plenty of very hot water and we were lucky to get a room with a great view. As mentioned in other reviews the hotel is very warm, we turned off our radiators and opened the window, problem solved. All the staff we met were superb. Breakfast was cooked to order, good and fresh. Friendly bar with good honest food at reasonable prices.

As the Cliffden is a Vision Hotel they obviously cater for dogs and our Pooch loved the place, the gardens, the short walk to the beach and lazing about in the bar suited him fine.

Would definitely return

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a garden/sea view