“Not as expected.”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Teignmouth
Birmingham
“Not as expected.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Really disappointed. Stayed over night at The Cliffden Hotel in Teignmouth 7-8th August 2014. Booked via Booking.com but did not get the rooms I'd booked. Specifically wanted two twin rooms as I was travelling with grown up children and other hotels seemed to be doubles which were unsuitable. When we arrived, we were informed that we had a twin and a double which made our stay awkward as my daughters had to share a bed. One of my daughters has a mental illness and this caused her some distress. We were informed on arrival that they'd had to change the rooms around but no explanation was given to why, neither were we contacted in advance so that I could change to a more suitable hotel!

On departure I complained to reception be told that it was the booking agency's fault that we'd received unsuitable rooms as they only specify the number of guests to be accommodated which seems to be a waste of time asking for the types of room required! Also it contradicts what I was told on arrival!

I agree with previous posts that the hotel is dated. My son said that the decor made him think of a care home and having previously visited a number of these with my mum, I could see what he meant. (E.g. colour scheme, furniture, carpets etc). Our room was number 7 on the ground floor and we had a lovely view of some weeds and a huge brick wall on top of which was the hotel's front drive. It was incredibly hot but we had to keep the windows closed due to the position of the room. My daughters room was on floor 2, facing the road. Both rooms were comfortable and clean.

The corridors of the hotel are really dark and narrow and the floors are quite sloped even upstairs. Would be worried if I had a blind person with me...

The lounge, bar area and dining room are quite small for the size of the hotel. However, the grounds are huge and like a small park. The hotel is only 15 minutes walk to the seafront via the grounds or the road. The pool looked lovely but we were unable to use it as it has limited times for guests to use it. In addition, they charge guests/members of the public £4 each to use the pool. Nowhere was this pointed out until we reached the hotel and read the literature left in the rooms.

Breakfast was OK. There was a small selection of cereals, tinned fruit and watered down fruit juice to start. No jugs of milk were available though so I had to pinch some from a recently vacated table so I could eat my cereal. This was followed by a choice of full English, croissants, fish, egg etc plus toast. My son and I had the full English which was OK, my one daughter had croissants which she said were lovely and my other daughter who is on a gluten free diet had scrambled egg and bacon as there was nothing else she could eat except fish which she doesn't like. The bacon she said was lovely but the eggs were oily and tasteless. When trying to explain a GF diet to staff they kept asking her about soya milk so obviously they are aware of lactose free but not GF.

Glad we only stayed for one night. Wouldn't stay any longer. Plus Teignmouth was a real disappointment - run down and everything apart from a couple of shops/pubs was closed.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the grounds.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Recently returned from our third stay (my father is visually impaired). This hotel welcomes everyone but specialises in catering for those with sight problems. As others have noted, it does need attention / TLC as the furnishings, dour furniture, decoration etc. need to be sorted. Also more could be done for blind such as handrails in corridors or more wet rooms. In fact it could be transformed as it has a lot going for it, not least the grounds, good size bedrooms and nice swimming pool. The staff are attentive and especially good with visually impaired though some waiters are very young and while enthusiastic would benefit from more training. The hotel is clean and the food is perfectly acceptable though unimpressive - in a way this sums up the hotel. The tariff is very reasonable so you don't expect top quality and are prepared to accept the drawbacks. The hotel deserves to succeed but needs constant investment to avoid the negative aspects getting too out of hand.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The positives are the pool - really good size, life guard present, and was relatively quiet - often my partner and I were the only ones in the pool (end of July). The grounds are really well kept as well, and at the bottom of the gardens is a private gate which brings you out by the lido and the coastguards. I just wish the hotel itself was as well kept as the grounds. The room décor was really dated (a typical 90s 'English Riviera' room - past its heyday, part of the carpet by the bed was dusty (where the vacuum had missed it), dirty coffee cup on arrival, only one drinking glass (was disposable plastic) and chipped paint work in the shower. Around the hotel looked a bit tired too, chipped and slightly bashed, e.g. 2nd floor by the lift - an area on the wall where it had been filled with a filler, but left bare and paintless. The breakfast was again typical of the south coast of Devon - tinned grapefruit and prunes, toast, cereals and items like cooked English to order - but really cheap sausages! The staff on the other hand were really helpful, kind, courteous and went out of their way to help. Baring in mind the price, I would not go again, which is a shame, as the negatives for me are very superficial and could easily be sorted.

1 Thank Bilboroly
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We spent a night here, and whilst we were given a huge room, the whole appearance of the room and the en suite was very old fashioned, shabby, and rather depressing. This hotel specialises in catering for the blind, for which we heartily commend them.
The staff in the dining room and bar could not have been more helpful, but the food was adequate, no more than that.
We decided that if we were in Teignmouth again, we'd stay elsewhere for the price they charged for the room.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First the good: the grounds are really nice, more like a semi-formal park, however everywhere does look as though it needs a bit more TLC; the staff were friendly and helpful.

The average: the room was a good size, but had a little bit of a dog odour (I accept that this hotel is service dog friendly, but the bedrooms should really be cleaned better); the fan in the room was so old and noisy that we couldn't have it on. The breakfast was not very good to be honest, mostly down to cheap poor quality ingredients, even the fresh fruit salad was tinned and the toast was cheap medium sliced bread.

The bad: The shower was very difficult to control.

Nothing about the hotel was terrible or bad enough to warrant a complaint, but nothing makes us want to return. Would have only been two stars, but that would be unfair on the staff who appeared to be very hard-working and seemed to enjoy their jobs.

1 Thank NeilAbbott
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Initial impresion was of a very tired building but with georgeous views over the gardens. Reception was unwelcoming with minimal information. Bedroom was an attic room on the second floor at the back of building with a main road outside which was very noisy. The room was clean, fairly spacious, hard bed with basic bathroom. Swimming pool was great and good access to the beach through the gardens was a plus. Breafast was adequate. I could see why this hotel is popular with dog lovers but thought that £129 was excessive for the quality provided. Would not stay in the future.

Room Tip: Only stay in rooms overlooking fron of gardens
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights at this great hotel lovely sea views and lovely atmosphere, guide dog friendly as well, grounds stunning, 5 minute walk into Teignmouth. Room was large and spacious overlooking the grounds and was very quiet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Philippa N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Teignmouth
Langstone Cliff Hotel
The Orestone Manor
#9 of 87 in Torquay
Best Western Passage House Hotel
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments

Been to Cliffden Hotel? Share your experiences!