“Delightful - good food and great fun!”

Crab Shack on the beach
Ranked #4 of 85 Restaurants in Teignmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a family of commercial fisherman with two working fishing boats. The Crab Shack is a small restaurant on the back beach in Teignmouth where we serve fresh seafood.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had an early evening meal at the Crab Shack with four friends while on holiday at the end of June, one of the hottest evenings of summer; and lunch later in the same week. The Crab Shack is tiny, and unpretentious, very much a well turned out shack, but delightful. Their fish is as fresh as it is possible to get, a good selection of dishes on offer from impressive whole lobster or Crab to just a simple sandwich. Also a steak option for non fish eaters. The desserts were delicious. The loo is worth a visit to read all the pithy sayings! Above all it was such fun.

The service was very good, but very relaxed and the food was excellent. Their crab soup was amazing - the best I have ever tasted, very creamy, but dairy free - a great treat for me as I have an allergy to cow milk and products - which usually puts fish soup off limits. Our friends were delighted with their meals and with the service, they are all very discerning and regularly dine at very prestigious restaurants, but plan to return to the Crab Shack as do we - next time I shall have the Crab Platter!

Well worth a visit if you enjoy really fresh fish prepared, cooked and presented brilliantly! It is advisable to book well in advance. On a fine day without the threat of rain if you are early you might get a table outside as these are not reserved. Alternatively their Deli, just round the corner will serve Crab Sandwiches and various other goodies which can be eaten on any spare outside tables.

1  Thank travellingdevonion
Write a ReviewReviews (1,075)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This really is an excellent place for freshly caught fish beautifully prepared. Failed on our first attempt to eat here due to heavy reservations, so made sure to book a week in advance. My crab sandwich was absolutely delicious and made a very satisfying lunch. My family were very complimentary of both food and service and we certainly intend to return.

The location is a bonus - direct access to harbour beach and a sea view. Family friendly with high chair provided.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

What an absolutely delightful restaurant this is. Service couldn't have been better or friendlier and as for the food wow! We'd booked a table inside as we had my daughter and her 8 week old baby with us in a buggy and we had plenty of room even though the inside is pretty small. There were tables outside which looked lovely. We had dressed crab which was amazing but the enormous mixed platters I saw going out were amazing and a must for our next visit when we have longer (sorry granddaughter, but you're not coming next time lol). I honestly can't wait to go back. Booking is absolutely essential, well in advance, especially for the evenings.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My friend and I had fortunately made a lunch time reservation a week before going to Teignmouth. This is a very popular place so if you want to dine here then make sure you book well in advance. The previous day we had a sandwich from their Deli nearby which was fabulous and filled with fresh white crab meat. The lunch experience did not disappoint. My friend went for the lobster and crab platter which included 3 oysters, a mounf of whelks, prawns and winkles. To say she was in heaven would be an understatement. You do have to get the meat out yourself so this could be offputting for some people. I opted for teh crab soup served with a crab croque. The taste was so fresh and really enjoyed. We shared a bottle of white wine which was good and reasonable priced. Next time we are in the area we will visit again.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our experience seems different to most reviewers. To begin with we walked up on Saturday night and got a table! The food was fine, but the service from the waitresses was a little amateurish, and at variance with other reviews. Though everyone was very friendly, they struggled to answer questions about the menu and ignored us most of the evening: this is odd in such a small restaurant. After sitting with the remnants of a consumed fruits de mer for half an hour we had to ask to have it cleared away. It is an interesting twist on normal business practice not to ask if more drinks or pudding are required.
It is a great location with superb views and having their own fishing boat is a terrific USP and we would love to try it again as we love fresh seafood.

1  Thank DrStudman