“Friendly and homely”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ex public house
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Similar to the last reviewer, I don't wish to 'damn with faint praise' and it was on his recommendation via this website that we tried Drakes the subsequent evening as we found that the pub in which we had intended to eat doesn't serve on Mondays. We found a simple English menu, good value for money, pleasant environment and friendly staff....I had started off ogling the fruit pie menu, but my hearty steak pudding left no room! Whilst the food probably won't win prizes and there is posher nosh in town, as a place to go when I next fancy a night off cooking, I will be back!

1  Thank VioletIvy

Reviewed 2 March 2014

There is a risk that this may sound like damning with faint praise, but I like Drakes for two main reasons: there are not many options available for eating out in Teignmouth on a Sunday evening, especially out of season, and it makes a nice change having traditional English fare available - too much haute cuisine can be tiring!

Let me redress the balance by saying that the food and service have always been excellent and I look forward to eating at Drakes on many more occasions.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this restaurant on New Year's Eve when looking for somewhere serving food. It was very quiet so we were pleasantly surprised. An old fashioned menu but excellent quality food and very quick service. Very reasonable prices.

1  Thank Catherine C
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Had yet another excellent wholesome meal at Drakes. This place is not difficult to find and once you have you'll want to return. The roast meals are brilliant and basic. You really do get what you ask for, God old fashioned roasts. You can even get curry with half rice and half chips. Who else does that?

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Simple food home cooked food, very good portion size if you are hungry. The decor was a little tired at the time of visiting, it was very quiet being out of season but we were made to feel welcome by the waitress.