“Not what it says on the tin.”
Review of Bay Hotel

Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Teignmouth
Rugeley
“Not what it says on the tin.”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Room nice with a lovely sea view although was not ready for 1330 hrs book in as stated. Bed linen was clean, however I didnt hear or see a vacuum cleaner during our three day stay. No iron or hairdryer in room as stated and no food available other than breakfast which left a lot to be desired. I have never complained about any hotel or guest house before and I have stayed in quite a few in my time. Staff were helpful and friendly but large improvement required if they want to attract custom.

• Stayed February 2014
16 Thank Diandy123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

i come from Sheffield and stayed at the bay hotel last night (20th of February 2014) i was welcomed by a very polite gentleman who turned out to be the new manager known as Colin, he was able to suggest many places to visit during my stay, such as the pellou arcade, the local beer houses with all of their history and Dartmoor. one pub in particular was the Devon arms run by the mother of Chris from muse which is also one of the oldest pub in Teignmouth. the meal we had there was completely different to what we expected as there was a party sort thing going on downstairs and they put a variety of starters out and you could just sit and eat whichever one looked good although they were very big portions the food was amazing, they set out bottles of wine every few seats for us to help ourselves, between the starter and main course more wine was brung out with some cheese and crackers for a little snack. our room was very nice. after the meal i sat down at the bar with the bartender and a few local and resident people who were all very kind and pleasant, i learned that the hotel was undergoing some very costly renovations inside and out. despite some of the negative reports it is evident that the place is on an upturn due to change in management and staffing, also the owner had suffered a breakdown has stepped down from running it until she is better. i look forward to staying there in November 2014. it is very easy to pick faults but i would recommend you stay there if you are staying in teignmouth.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank kai r
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Basil Fawlty is the perfect host compared to this place.

Let's get this straight from the start; all of the staff deserves a medal!

We were booked in for Valentines / Wedding Anniversary weekend. On arrival (11:30) there was a woman in the bar, clearly intoxicated she was loud and swearing like a trooper. At one point the CD playing the music in the bar was skipping "Jason, Jason stop that CD from jumping, you know I'm Dyslexic..." she shouted. We assumed she was either a local or a resident, our room was ready and we were shown up to our room by a nice but clearly embarrassed receptionist.

Our impressions of the hotel was it was tired dated and a bit dark, the shower was impractical (temperature kept changing and the shower head falling down) and the room cold, however we asked for a heater and got one.

That night we went down for our Valentines evening meal, the same lady was seated at a table with one can only assume her partner, I was a bit worried, and looking around the dining room not even so much as candle or any attempt to acknowledge the fact it was Valentines. While waiting for our meal the very drunk lady staggered over and tried to communicate to us that the lighting was too dark and should be brighter, she turned a lamp on almost falling into my wife's lap and in the process knocking a picture off the wall. So while we were eating our meal, which was really good, we were "entertained" by our fellow diner dropping things on the floor, shouting at her partner and generally becoming annoying. After a short while she grew tired of waiting for her meal, so she went downstairs to the kitchen and promptly began a barrage of foul mouthed abuse after a few minutes of very industrial language she left the building, the very embarrassed waiter / manager came in to apologise for her behaviour and that unfortunately this is not unusual as she is the owner! Well I didn't see that coming, however she was gone from the building and we finished our lovely meal in peace. Towards the end we thought about going into the bar for a post meal drink, however the owner had returned and proceeded to sit in the bar, so we decided against a drink.

At 02:30 I was woken up by loud music from the bar, unable to get back to sleep I decided to go down and ask them to turn it off (somehow I knew who had put it on)! I went down to find the owner very intoxicated, smoking and attempting to use the phone, the conversation went along the lines of:

Me "excuse me"
Owner (shouting with a few swear words) "What"
Me "I'm in room 8 the music has woken me up and is disturbing me, would you mind switching it off?"
Owner "What, oh right then ok" (turns it down a bit, swearing under her breath) "is that better?"
Me: "No, off is good"
Owner "right ok, (turns it off) well I am trying to phone someone".....

By now I am already walking away, and decided we were leaving right after breakfast. Next morning we went down for breakfast, owner is in the bar and wide awake, looking better than I am feeling.......... We had our breakfast and told the waiter we were leaving and told him why, he was very embarrassed (but was not surprised) I pointed out that this lady had effectively ruined our wedding anniversary weekend as compensation we did not expect to pay for our previous nights meal, the waiter agreed and we left the hotel.

We decided to stay positive and we walked straight to the Thornhill Hotel (see my review for our night there) to continue our weekend. Later that day I got a phone call from the manager who apologised profusely and informed us that the staff were walking out as we spoke as they had enough of the abuse and had not been paid for weeks! During the stay at Thornhill the owner told us another couple from the Bay had checked in as the Bay Hotel was now closed.

If it re-opened after a refurbishment and a new owner and the same staff, it wouldn't be a half bad place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
34 Thank Michael W

Travellers are raving about these Teignmouth hotels

UK
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Well, where to start! I feel sad writing this, as it seems this hotel has previously had a good reputation. However, if your plans are imminent. Don't go!!

We arrived to find ALL the staff had walked out. The owner was there with two friends. All heavily drunk. In no fit state to be running a hotel!

We tried to stay one night, to be woken at 1am to shouting and swearing! At breakfast.... owner still heavily drunk with pint in hand at 7.30am!

Breakfast!!???? Well, let's just say that helped the diet

Had a course the next day. Arrived back to be left locked out, with all our stuff inside! Friendly local pub owners helped us get in and advised we find somewhere else.

We quickly had to pack then drive around Teignmouth looking for somewhere to stay!

Unbelievable!!!! Very sad indeed.I truly hope all concerned are able to sort out their situation soon!

• Stayed February 2014
20 Thank Ladyholiday
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed at the Bay Hotel at the end of November 2013. Lovely double room with "fantastic" sea view. My advice is to book direct with the hotel, rather than through internet booking agencies. You will get a really much better deal!

My only criticism is that I would have loved a hairdryer - didn't take one since I thought one would provided.

Breakfast is fab but can you put out Heinz Tomato and HP Sauce? The residents (and that was most of us at breakfast) had to ask for it - wait and then it came in little bowls.

However, can really recommend the Bay Hotel - and Teignmouth - absolutely smashing.

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel and ask for sea view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank julie b
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We booked a family meal for 17 people ( including 6 children ) to celebrate 3 family birthdays in one week and have had a brilliant afternoon, the menu choices were good for all of us( the children's menu is really good value). The food was lovely tasty and of a good quality, nothing was to much trouble and at the end of the meal we were presented with 3 birthday cakes a really lovely end to a relaxing enjoyable afternoon. Great value and there was also a pianist play in the bar

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sharron F
Swansea
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We don't understand the positive reviews for the Bay Hotel at all!! Some of the reviewers must have VERY low standards! We just got back today from a 3 night stay at this hotel and we don't ever plan on going there again. The hotel looked nice enough on the website and from the outside when we arrived...the inside however was a complete let down. The decor was shabby throughout and cleanliness was poor. We had to change rooms within 10 mins of arriving because the toilet wouldn't flush. The substitute room was freezing cold (we had to ask for the heating to be switched on!), the carpet and furniture were grubby, there was damp and mould in the bathroom and we found bugs crawling on the pillows!! It was noisy at night and one woman who appeared to either own or manage the place was drunk in the bar every night, swearing and making a spectacle of herself, very unprofessional! The hotel is apparently under new management, well they have a LONG way to go to knock that place into shape. The young girl on reception didn't have a clue what she was doing and we were given no receipt for the money we paid. The only member of staff who was polite and helpful was the person waiting on people at breakfast. Give this place a wide berth...we couldn't wait to get out of there!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
19 Thank Samantha S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Teignmouth
Cliffden Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishopsteignton
The Orestone Manor
The Orestone Manor
#6 of 88 in Torquay

Been to Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!