“Good food, no atmosphere”

No photo provided
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cheltenham
“Good food, no atmosphere”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Went to the Hotel's restaurant with friends for their Sunday carvery. Food was very good and plentiful, and at £16.50 for 2 courses quite reasonable. The only problem I had with it was the total lack of atmosphere, large dining room with only about 4-5 tables occupied. Maybe the day we went is not representative of a normal Sunday, but I wouldn't choose to eat there again, there are so many lovely pubs in Dorset with nicer ambience.

• Visited October 2013

Sherborne, United Kingdom
“Good Sunday Carvery”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Enjoyed a Sunday Carvery. The food was good and the service attentive. We normally try pubs for a Sunday lunch so a bit more expensive and different atmosphere but very good hotel dining room.

• Visited September 2013
UK
“Delicious Sunday carvery”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My husband and I booked at short-notice for the Sunday carvery. On arrival we were taken to our pre-allocated table in the large restaurant. Despite the size of the restaurant, the attention of the extremely well-presented and polite waiting staff meant that the dining experience was much more like that of a smaller, more-intimate restaurant. The service was excellent as was the food. The roast beef was some of the most tender and tasty I have ever had. I was slightly concerned on arrival that there was live jazz music in the restaurant - I hoped it wouldn't be too intrusive. I needn't have worried. The musician was very good and the music provided an excellent backdrop to our Sunday lunch. We will be back!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank The_Waymans
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have no issues with the food here. Breakfast is self service with a good choice of cereals, fruit, Continental or English, tea or coffee being brought to the table by the willing staff. The set evening menu is very good value for money, offering a choice of three starters, main course and puddings. As is usual, the a la carte menu has a wider selection and is more expensive, but we didn't try anything from that menu, but would assume that it was at least the same high standard.

Visited March 2013
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Set lunch deal for locals”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The George & Albert Hotel is an oddity. It is an ugly modern building from the outside which looks more like a motel than a hotel, and is stuck on the main road from Dorchester to Yeovil in the middle of nowhere (except for the clay pigeon shooting and go-cart track enterprise just behind it).

Quite why any holiday-maker would want to stay there instead of in one of the many gorgeous old villages or towns in West Dorset beats me. So most of its business probably comes from business conferences and perhaps weddings.

Anyway, the only reason to try the restaurant out (I live locally) was because I had received through the letterbox a flyer offering a 2 course lunch with coffee to locals for £10, So I went with a friend to try it out.

We were served by a young, smart and dashing waiter, who looked the part of a second world war Royal Air Force pilot, sporting an immaculately trimmed handlebar moustache, which dominated our attention whenever he came to our table, which was often, as only one other table was occupied. Our main courses were battered fish and chips, which was excellent and plentiful, and a pheasant dish, which was quite tasty, but rather dry and not generous with vegetables. The puddings were really very good indeed and generous - a creme brulee and a bread and butter pudding. Given the rather unpromising nature and lack of atmosphere of the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, simple though it was.

We were given a large cafetiere of coffee to finish with, all for the price of £20 for 2. I am not sure whether a non-local (without the flyer) would be given the same deal - possibly not. But I thought it worth writing a review, since our lunch was outstanding value for money.

• Visited March 2013