“Overnight Break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Shincliffe B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“Overnight Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

Arrived on a cold wet afternoon to a warm and friendly welcome. After settling into our room we had a drink it the bar beside the fire. Our evening meal was excellent. My husband had the Christmas menu and I had risotto for my main course which was delicious. Breakfast was cooked to order and it was excellent too. This was a very relaxing stay with a lovely homely atmosphere and friendly and efficient staff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

Try the fish and chips according to my parents in law with modest appetites you might need to consider the smaller portion option. Friendly service and a cozy rural venue. I thought the steak and chips to be good value.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

I have been staying here several times a year fro several years. The Seven Stars is a charming country inn with a warm welcome and an excellent restaurant. I'm not a vegetarian but good vegetarian dishes are available and very tasty . The cuisine is consistently good and there are very good local suppliers. The rooms are simple and comfortable. I appreciate the relaxing feeling in the evening after a fraught day. Well done the Harris family team and their staff for continuing to maintain and even better, to improve the quality of the inn.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Barnsley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

Fantastic value for our 2 day inclusive stay, superb food, ample choice and high quality too, great beer too and made very welcome by all the helpful staff throughout. Our Shower room could have done with a smarten up but as we spent most of our time drinking and eating it's a minor quibble. Nice walk into Durham along the river, it's just a shame the locals didn't let us win the quiz. Recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Oulton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

Ensure was shabby dirty lights what was once white is now cream. Shandelier was hanging from the ceiling with wires exposed pine furniture too close to kettle and over the years had created a steam white mark against the side off the wardrobe so if you do book just hope you don't get room 3 and also rite next to the office where staff are in and out all nite expensive for what it is or should I say what it isn't stayed in better bnbs that were cheaper and a lot cleaner

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank paula c
Durham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

I booked two nights here for a Dutch family friend to stay over and visit us. I have to say from the outset that I did not stay there myself but did book it, quizzed the family friend about it, saw the room and paid for the overnight bed and breakfast.
Room ok but small, to me, even for a single, breakfast good, it seems, according to the friend who stayed there. He found the room fine.

Good price, lovely little place, three 'buts'......
The first was that they really did mean that they did not want people coming in late and locked up at midnight, I think. This did not bother us, but it might be something you want to bear in mind - I do wonder about that as giving guests keys and asking them to be quiet as they return might perform the same function as making them come back before midnight which seems a bit draconian to me.
The second was that despite offering a window of only an hour and a half for breakfast, they still asked when my friend would be coming down for his breakfast - don't know about you, but with a wondow like that, I really could not be any more precise, especially at the weekend. Surely breakfast could be served when your gusests want it, so long as they arrive in the breakfast window notified?
The third was that despite asking when booking in that they wait for me to return to pay the bill for the family friend, and saying this when I arrived with my friend and being told no money would be taken from my card until I checked him out, they took the liberty of taking the money from my card anyway without my being present. I do regard that as cheeky, personally, as the friend sat waiting for me to collect him as he had done the day before. The card was intended to hold the room when I booked online. That rather put me off the place.

Room Tip: Not a lot of choice - room allocated it seems, but try asking......no fitness centre or swimming poo...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Visiting with a small group of friends, we'd booked in advance as we'd heard the Tuesday night steak deal was excellent (£24.95 for two starters and two steak and chips, with a 500 ml carafe of house wine between two). On ordering, since one of our party was pregnant and two were driving, we asked for a soft drink option instead of the wine with the deal but were told, to my disgust, that this wasn't possible. What kind of licensed venue doesn't offer a soft drink alternative in this day and age? The waitress was apologetic but unmoving. We ordered the starters and steaks - a good selection, with sauces available - and had the order double-checked back to us (being careful to make sure that they had the order for the medium-well steak correct for the pregnant lady). When the steaks arrived, the waitress had no idea which was which and tried to serve our pregnant friend a rare sirloin steak. The other staff could sense our growing annoyance and tried to make up for it by interrupting every 5 minutes to check everything was ok - which it would have been if they hadn't kept interrupting us! There was then a fuss about letting a late arriver join us for a 'lite bite' - which they were happy to cook but, despite the restaurant being almost empty, tried to refuse to let them join us as the 'lite bites' can only be served in the bar. Ridiculous! The food was excellent with the steaks (once served to the correct people) cooked to perfection, but I won't be going back, since I cannot reach the venue without driving and as they clearly don't wish to cater for drivers or pregnant ladies! Lovely food, shame about the service.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JMRDurham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shincliffe
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Premier Inn Durham City Centre
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Bowburn Hall
Bowburn Hall
#11 of 19 in Durham
Premier Inn Durham East Hotel

Been to Seven Stars Inn? Share your experiences!