“Amazing staff!”
Review of Seven Stars Inn

Seven Stars Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Shincliffe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at the Seven Stars Inn while working in the library at Durham University. The university and city center were within walking distance and as the countryside is gorgeous, walking back and forth is not a hardship. My room was spacious and clean. As some of the other reviews have noted, the staff at the Seven Stars Inn are excellent; I found all of them to be extremely friendly and helpful. They really made me feel at home!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I went to The Seven Stars with a friend for am evening meal and straight away noticed the new menu. More basic food added but when it came it was to the same standards we have always received. Food very tasty, staff attentive and a nice relaxing night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We visited this pub in November. Lovely location and nice atmosphere inside.
Downside is that when we were sitting chatting the main door would open and slam which was quite annoying as did the ladies toilet door.
I informed a member of the bar staff that both these doors need fixing and I was abruptly told it was only a door.
Maybe only a door but quite annoying slamming all night when a fix is so easy to make .

Will not be going back

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The staff at Seven Stars Inn was remarkably friendly! Upon arrival, the receptionist showed me to my room and later guided me to the bus stop (a minute away) and helped out with a bus ticket. Breakfast was excellent - with a variety of options available, and as it was a festive season, the sticky toffee pudding post-dinner was an amazing finale to the stay. The room was small but clean, with a kettle but no phone and cell-phone reception is a little poor in this area. The heating went off automatically before check-out which was the only downfall. Location is great, buses come regularly on weekdays from the stop nearby and take approx. 10-15 minutes to the university and/or city centre. Well worth the money for a cozy, antique, quiet b&b.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2013

One of the pleasures of returning from France to visit relatives in the North East is that I get to visit this great Hostelry just South of Durham City. Whether it is just to sample the local ales in the bar or enjoy a meal in the restaurant I am never disappointed. Last night I enjoyed their Xmas menu, which was fantastic and given the ambiance, the setting and the friendly quality service at £12.95 was incredible. Terrific and thank you to all those concerned.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I was a bit concerned when we arrived because Seven Stars is set between a fork in the road and it is also a pub. These are two sources of noise and I feared sleepless nights. I'm happy to say these fears were groundless. There wasn't much traffic and the clientele of the pub are older and not the noisy type.

So far so good. The rooms are comfortable and the place has character. But best of all were the staff. The waiting staff in the restaurant in particular were superb: not intrusive, but there whenever you need them. They really got the balance exactly right.

This is so much nicer than the big corporate hotels in Durham itself, and although I didn't walk it myself, I understand that it is quite easy to get into the city on foot.

I'm sure we will visit again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I would classify this as an inn with rooms. Our room was more like a single room with a double bed squeezed in. Our son had a single room that was not much smaller !! I agree with previous comments about the noisy toilet and plumbing.
We stayed here because we were collecting our daughter from the universtiy. It was much cheaper than the expensive hotels in Durham and despite the room problems still offers value for money. Parking is free on the side of the room and it is about a 30 minute walk into the city centre. Staff were pleasant and a cooked breakfast was served.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shincliffe
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Been to Seven Stars Inn? Share your experiences!