“Almost perfect”
Review of Chequers Inn

Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Maresfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 December 2013

It has just been refurbished so there was a few very minor niggles like our toilet roll holder was not fixed onto the wall properly and kept falling off. But apart from that it was a very good stay. very clean room., Good food, well priced restaurant in the bar area, and a top class breakfast all helped to make me say yes I would go again and recommended it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ALoverOfTheGoodLife

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I have known this venue for over 50 years and seen it through several metamorphesis, it has recently been taken over by a new consortium. It startred badly, one of our party of 7 had a voicher for a bottle of wine- may we have a bottle of red while we look at both the menu & wine list.. Sorry sir--you can only have white or rose--we nearly walked out until we established that red was available--but not with this voucher! We unfortunatly ordered two bottles or red which locked us in to Lunch! Later converted to three because of the excessive delays!

I have never in my time in the RAF and industry had so bad a meal! The starters were just acceptable, Then some of the menu was just not available! When the main course arrived an hour later the plates were cold, if there had been any gravy it would have conjealed ! The Beef was cold and tough--did not even have the sense to give us serrated knives. Vegetables were very poor--my request for mashed potatoes fell on stony ground until I asked for the third time!
We had to ask twice for horseradish and apple sauces and water. We complained to the waiter--if the Restaurant had sense the Manager would have appeared NO. THe waiter after we had declined sweets ( elapsed time was over an hour and a half. ) did say that the coffee would not be charged--big deal ! When I spoke to the manager after the meal--he was pleasant but offhand!"

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank alan1142
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Having booked a table for 8 adults and 2 small children for 12, we turned up on time, and were greeted with a very Ill mannered young lady, she showed us to our table which was in a very cold part of the restaurant. They had supplied no high chairs, despite my sister asking for two when she booked. The staff went to find two, one which had no strap to secure my nephew, which he fell through banging his head. (We tied a strap around him for safety ourselves) we ordered starters and requested the children's meals (both under 3) come out with our starters. We placed our order at 12.20 the starters and children's meals came out at 1.30, we only ordered a simple tapas sharing platter. We asked the only two staff that appeared to be on duty how much longer we could have to wait for our main meals, both children getting very tired and unhappy at this point, the member of staff 'serving' us told us it was 'just' coming. Our main meals came to the table at just gone 2! Several of us ordered the cheese and bacon burger, all of which were in edible. The meat was dry and falling apart, the cheese and bacon were burnt, and tasted it. I barely managed a mouthful, and I'm not a fussy eater. All 8 adults could not eat their meals due to the poor quality of their dinner. We did of course complain, and the manager only charged us for the drinks that we had ordered. Having waited nearly 2 hours for lunch, with rude waitresses and quite frankly disgusting food I would never return there, nor would I recommend any one eating there. I will try and attach a photo of my 'burger' to show the poor quality of the food. Luckily mc donnalds is just down the road, which is quite honestly a much higher quality! If you're looking for a nice family lunch I would avoid this restaurant at all costs. The only good thing I have to say about the pub is the decor. Sadly zero atmosphere though. Highly disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank LRson
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had booked a table for a pre-Christmas meet up with friends. We always book for 12pm as we have two children under 2 1/2 and it's essential to get them fed nice and early. It also usually means we get fed pretty quickly as the kitchen is quiet.

Most of the party was early. No high chairs had been sorted as requested - thankfully the waiting staff tried to resolve this. There were only 3 high chairs in the whole pub of which one was broken - we ended up using the strap from our changing bag to secure one of our sons in. In this day and age, having so many covers and so few high chairs is ridiculous. At least we could have been advised and we'd have brought our own.

Ordering food was somewhat tiring as we were continually told items we had chosen were no longer available?? We were ordering at 12.10pm - hardly at the end of a lunchtime sitting. We had asked for the children's food to be brought as soon as possible or at worst with our starters.

Twenty minutes gone... nothing. Half an hour gone.... nothing. After 40 minutes, I went and asked the waitress when we might see our food, especially for the children. 'It's just coming' we were told. Another 10 minutes.... nothing. In fact our starters turned up at 13.15 with the kids' food arriving five minutes later. Our starters were quite unremarkable in terms of quality but by that point we were all starving so even a bit of garlic bread was welcome. The children hardly touched their food - unsurprising as we'd already had to feed them with emergency pouches from the car as they were understandably getting fractious.

Starters cleared and we hoped better for our mains. I even asked to make sure that we were not going to waiting for ages and was reassured this was not the case. In fact our food arrived at 2.10pm!!! By that point, most of us had lost the will to live and to top it all the quality of the food was insulting. The burgers wouldn't have looked out of place at a roadside burger joint. The meat on the roasts was dried out (the beef was literally turned up at the corners).

I have to say I was utterly lost for words. The waitresses were very apologetic (one in particular couldn't have tried harder to help) but it was clear that they were just being fed lies from the kitchen and being left to deal with the customers.

What really annoyed me was that I had to go and seek out the manager to finally resolve this. He was very apologetic, saying they had had problems, and he waived the food bill. To be honest, given the complete disaster it had been, I'd have expected him to cover the drinks as well (was mostly soft drinks).

Never have I been anywhere that has left me so angry. It absolutely ruined our day - what should have been a great pre-Xmas meet up turned into an incredibly stressful experience (for which we still had to pay partly for).

If you're after a decent food, my advice is find somewhere else. Every place has an off day in terms of service - fine. But the appalling quality of the ingredients cannot in any way be excused.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank gtsussex
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This was a short break before Xmas to explore the local area and we used the Chequers as a base. Room was comfortable & clean with all the usual teas & coffees tv etc.
We had an evening meal and ate off the £9.99 menu , limited choice but good food although chopped onion cucumber and tomato does not a salsa make. For a main I had the smoked haddock on spinach in a cheese sauce with boiled potatoes , delicious , pudding was syrup sponge and custard also lovely. Service was good

At the price this was an excellent choice with good value accommodation and food

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fetmoore
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Like the new layout much improved. New owners have spent a lot of money and that should attract new business. We had a meal with friends. Service was ok, staff polite. Food needs some attention. One friend had pate as a starter but not edible, served with plain white bread not even toasted. Prawn cocktail was a blast back to the 70's ok but nothing special. Mains were a bit plain not a lot of taste. Deserts acceptable.

Owners need to focus on improving food otherwise they won't get a lot of repeat business

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank G26_10
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Wanting a cheap lunch my husband and I thought we would try the chequers since it has been taken over by green king. Was pleased to see that 2 people can eat off a limited menu for 9.99 for 2 meals and the newly refurbished pub is much better than pre marco pierre white days who owned it prior to green king.

My husband waited a good 5 minutes for our drinks order to be taken even though he was the only one stood at the bar. Then, once we had decided what we wanted to eat I went up to the bar and asked whether we placed our order at the bar and the lady said "no I will come and take your order". She then came over to take payment from another table and that was the last we saw of her. After a further 10 minutes I went to the bar to ask if they wanted our business and asked if we should expect the same delay with the food and was told "of course not". Why then did we have to wait 25 minutes with a comment after 15 minutes that our food was 2 minutes away! When our food finally arrived I stated that we would not be paying for the extra round of drinks we had due to the excessive wait on a relatively quiet lunchtime. The apology came with an excuse that they have only just reopened and things are still settling down. I would accept this excuse within the first 2-3 weeks but not after 2 months. We should learn that if you pay cheap, you get cheap. Dont go here if you have time constraints. Food was about what you would expect for the price but I would not have an evening meal and certainly would not recommend for a special occasion.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pam&Trev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maresfield
Buxted Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath
The Buxted Inn Hotel
The Buxted Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Buxted

Been to Chequers Inn? Share your experiences!