“What a disappointment! Very poor!”
Review of Chequers Inn

Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Maresfield B&B and Inns
“What a disappointment! Very poor!”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I am not one for posting reviews but was driven by my poor experience. We went here for dinner for my birthday. We had previously dined here when Marco Pierre White had it and previous to that. We were aware that it had changed hands and that the menu had reverted back more to 'pub grub'. However, there is pub grub and pub grub!

I had the prawn cocktail to start which, although a little retro, was tasty. My partner had Stilton stuffed mushrooms which appeared satisfactory. We both ordered rib eye steak for mains (the most expensive dish on the menu!). The steak, which we ordered medium rare, was actually cooked medium rare! I am afraid that is probably all I could say in it's favour! It was a substandard, grissly piece of steak. The Diane sauce was bland and tasteless. The plates were not hot so the food was tepid. The grilled tomato was burnt, the presentation was poor and for a restaurant to serve frozen chips badly says it all!

We ordered a bottle of wine with dinner which the first waitress appeared to have forgotten. When we asked the second waitress for the wine she brought it to the table, put it on the table and walked off! We were not shown the label and left to open the wine ourselves!

Why didn't I complain you ask. . ? We were out for my birthday and my partner had asked me where I would like to go! He was already disappointed that the food was so poor! I felt that to complain would have spoilt the evening completely!
I would suggest that this establishment needs to decide what it is doing. Is it a restaurant or a cafeteria? The menu is basic formulaic stuff e.g lasagne, fish and chips gammon and egg etc. the waitress service was quite poor for a Monday night, especially as it wasn't even busy! The chef needs to up his game but then I suppose it is difficult when he is producing a fairly bland fixed menu.

Come on The Chequers! Start producing some decent food and get the dining room sorted! A few basics would enhance the experience for customers e.g. showing people to their table rather than telling them to take a seat where they like! Opening the wine at the table, some table mats, hot plates for food, better presentation of food.
I was very disappointed by my experience and will not be going there again and would advise others not to go there either until things change!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank HelenUckfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

A visit in early February necessitated a stopover in the Uckfield area where on an earlier occasion my wife and myself had stayed at the Old English Inns Roebuck Hotel at Wych Cross.

However, after seeing a promotional advertisement in a national newspaper we knew that the Chequers Hotel in Maresfield was even nearer. Despite reading some mixed reviews on TripAdvisor we booked and were not to be disappointed.

From our arrival and throughout the stay we were pleased with all aspects. At check-in we were allocated a very comfortable double ensuite room in the converted coach house. This appeared to have recently been refurbished and was of good proportions with a nice bathroom, very quiet and just a few yards from the main building and the spacious car park.

During the course of our stopover we used the Bar and the Dining Room for dinner on the day of arrival, daily breakfast and entertaining for lunch. The food met our expectations and the breakfast choice was varied including not only full English but also featured eggs Benedict, kippers and scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on the menu.

Overall opinion was of a very satisfying stay, where for a minimum of 2 consecutive nights for 2 persons sharing a twin/double room including breakfast the promotional rate of £9.95 pppn represented fantastic value for money costing just £39.80!

Room Tip: For a quiet location recommend room 15 in the coach house
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BLACKBOYS
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Booked a Sunday lunch as we had a voucher. I had read the reviews prior to booking, but thought we would give it a go. Sadly the reviews were true. The food was adequate but certainly not up to standard. Out of a selection of 9 starters 3 were not available, the sharing plates were also off the menu too. We opted for the Sunday roasts which promised all the trimmings! The turkey roast had no pigs in blankets or stuffing, so trimmings we had not. We didn't even bother with a desert and quite frankly wanted to leave as soon as we had eaten. Our waitress seemed slightly preoccupied and we had to remind her of our drinks order as were served white wine when we asked for red. There seemed a lack of communication with the staff, as two more staff came to take our orders after we had already ordered.
Nice old pub style decor, very clean and well presented. Lovely patio area outside and the toilets were very clean. But don't bother going to eat there as you will be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Maresfield hotels

The Chilterns
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We've just spent a brilliant weekend here at the Chequers Inn. What a fabulous find, lovely staff, good food and a very pleasant room couldn't ask for more or fault it in anyway. Quiet location and handy for seeing the surrounding area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pudtab
southampton
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a great looking hotel with very nicely furnished rooms and en-suite. The problem is that there is no soundproofing whatsoever and I was unfortunately below what sounded like a herd of elephants. Why do people seem to walk around their room endlessly! The management should include earplugs in the price. I didnt eat a meal here as the reviews put me off but breakfast was good.

Room Tip: ask for an upstairs room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to make a review as the food was so awful. I knew the food would be pretty basic from my local friends comments on the venue since it has changed hands and from the deals they're offering. I thought I'd give it a try as I actually like the décor and feel of the pub/restaurant. I also had a free bottle of wine voucher! The house white - Pinot is very acceptable by the way. I ordered one of the more expensive dishes - salmon. This was very dry and the vegetables were disgusting (brown/green broccoli, dried up carrots and dried up microwaved old "new" potatoes). I had a coffee to finish............at least they have a decent coffee machine! The staff were OK, efficient but not really interested or attentive. Will only have a liquid diet next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Heathfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

A lovely old building, shame about the restaurant. 3 items not available on the limited menu including the only fish. The steak pie was not edible.The pork belly was a soggy piece of meat on a bed of wet mash. Vegatables:- 4or 5 baby carrots and a few stringy pieces of green ? Service indifferent!! A better meal at little chef.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maresfield
Buxted Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Halland
Horsted Place
Horsted Place
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Chequers Inn? Share your experiences!