“Pleased to see there are signs of change...........” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chequers Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Maresfield B&B and Inns
East Sussex
“Pleased to see there are signs of change...........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

....had a very cheery welcome from the relief manager, Daniel - not something we were used to with the previous manager, so hope he stays! As always we had good service from attentive staff, who do an excellent job, despite there not being enough of them. We had a very good lunch on Saturday and will be back. Didn't stay over as we are local.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in room 12 and it wasn't just the noisiest room it was also the hottest,ok it was 27 degrees during the day but with a bit of forethought they could have opened the windows,I tried but they wouldnt stay open so I jammed a loo roll under it ! The good bit....the food was very good in the evening and although the service was slow for breakfast ( I had to go in the kitchen to ask for tea after being ignored for 15 minutes) the breakfast was excellent..with a bit of extra care this could be very good,the beer garden was nice,and the rooms at the front need soundproofing as the traffic is noisy...I would probably stay again but ask for a room away from the road.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have stayed at The Chequers twice now in the last two weeks, and to be honest was dubious about it due to some of the Trip Advisor reviews. But to be perfectly honest, having stayed in two different rooms on two occasions, both stays have been great. The rooms are very nice, clean and provide me with everything I need at the end of a long day. The phone is very good, and atmosphere in the bar at night is very pleasant. My only concern, and I guess there is little that can be done by myself, is that on two occasions staff on cigarette breaks where heard to be complaining below my window about working rotas, but not a reason for me to not recommend the place highly. Quite word from senior staff required. Keep it up!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Food. both dinner and breakfast was super. It had a nice feel to the place. The staff are funny and friendly and clearly like to provide a very good service.

The room (9)

Tidy and we'll presented nice tea coffee and biscuits. TV worked fine. Bathroom very clean.
However the noise at night BAD. I was here for work commitments and needed a good nights sleep even after 5 very nice pints I could not sleep through the sound of a humming generator of some sorts.

Also the couple in room 10 you know who you are we're clearly enjoying themselves until past 0130 hrs. It's clear to say here vocal cords work and the springs on the bed clearly tested so thanks.

I was very tired the next day and had to try and muster up the energy to work. If it wasn't for the fact that the bill wasn't paid by me but footed by Sussex police I would of complained. I would of also knocked on the wall to Ask the couple next door to chew the pillow and keep their noise down.

Despite all that it was a nice place with some what mixed memories.

To the staff cheers your super.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kevgalyer
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in May 14. I had asked for accommodation on ground floor and got exactly that. We were given a room in the small cottage conversion in the grounds of the Inn. The cottage has been nicely converted into 4 bedrooms, two on the ground floor and of course two above. First the good news. Our room was very clean, and nicely laid out. A very good shower room with rain forest shower head and excellent towels. Lighting was good and with a light over the mirror I could see to shave! A large built in wardrobe and a desk with built in coffee/tea provision. Well insulated from outside noise. Cars go past the cottage to reach the car park. Free WiFi provided you sign up with The Cloud. Once registered there were no problems with connection or speed. What was not so good was that the noise of creaking and groaning floor boards from the room above us was extremely intrusive. It was very loud. No fault of the folks in the room but of the conversion that seems to have ignored the need for horizontal insulation. In addition, there was no heat in our room when we arrived. We complained three times to the staff on duty and were promised that "someone" would be round to fix it. At 8pm we gave up and told them not to bother until the morning. The heat came on at 940pm! It was fine the next day. These things happen I know but the lack of contact with the duty manager or indeed any response was very poor. A shame because the rest of the staff were very good. Cheerful, efficient and helpful. The Inn is very pleasant and the one meal we had there was very good. Good value also with two mains for £9.99. Breakfast was excellent. A wide choice of foodstuffs and the full english was excellent.
A handy base for Lewes and surrounding district. A good size car park and an interesting building with lots of outdoor seating when the weather improves. If you go there, and I do recommend it, stay in the main hotel or upstairs in the annex - don't stay in room 15!

Room Tip: Avoid room 15 in the annex
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike056_11
Cardiff Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed one night , booked at short notice less than 24hrs. Got a very good deal for bed and breakfast .
We stayed in room No17 in the annex at the rear of the main hotel. The room was very comfortable, pleasantly furnished, quaint, big TV and all we could want for a one night stay.
The room was nice and quiet.
One comment no soap in the shower and no shelf to put the bottle soap from the basin on.
Breakfast was very good and we did have an evening meal which was quite good.

Would book this hotel again if in the area and requiring an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel may be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tafftraveller
Dudley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

When checking in I requested a quiet room as I am a very light sleeper, was allocated a room at the front overlooking a busy road, the traffic noise was awful, all night long.So didn't get much sleep. So if you think of booking this hotel request a room at the back.
Food in the restaurant in the evening wasn't up to much but the breakfast the next morning was very good.
They need to clean the tables in the garden area a little bit more often, dirty cups and glasses were left around for hours.
But for the price paid at this hotel it was quite good

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank johnjudypartridge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maresfield
The Roebuck Hotel
#2 of 2 in Forest Row
BEST WESTERN The Birch Hotel
BEST WESTERN The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath

Been to Chequers Inn? Share your experiences!