“Do Not Eat Here!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coggeshall
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Do Not Eat Here!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here Whit Bank Holiday weekend, 16 of us altogether. 3 of us in very small room 15, larger empty room next door but we were not offered this. No hot water by late morning so showering impossible & we were going to a wedding so not good. Customer service very lacking I'm afraid. Food - had evening meal, 2 meals for £9.99, bit of chewy gammon, soggy chips & peas, enough said. Breakfast at £5.95 was dreadful. a promise of continental buffet & cooked breakfast. We arrived early but there were no croissants or Danish, when I asked the waitress Helen she just said there was cake, charming! A very miserable & sullen women I have to say. When I complained to Paul at reception he said they just run out of things sometimes, not good enough, this should not happen. Cooked was not good either, even my dog refused the sausage. There is a lovely café just over the road, go there it is superb only £1 extra but more food & worth it. All in all not a good experience. Only positive was Fay from housekeeping she was great, friendly & very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CFCgirl70
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
I will look into the issues you commented on, thank you for leaving your thoughts. I do apologise we were not at our best on your visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Skilfully retaining the character of this 15th Century inn, including the absence of straight wall or floor within the entire establishment, the owners have succeeded in providing a modern facility with every modern convenience, combining it with a warm and friendly environment where the staff could not possibly more welcoming or helpful.
All this, combined with good food and remarkably good value for money, this resting place is to be recommended on all counts - but not a ghost to be seen, I'm afraid! :-)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Terrapin1959
Richard D, Public Relations Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Your review was wonderful to read, thank you
Little Dunmow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stopped for lunch at this hotel in Coggeshall yesterday, Sunday May 11th. I have no knowledge of its hotel accommodation, so reserve this review entirely for the food available in the bar/back room "restaurant". Do not be deceived by the exterior or Reception entrance. In keeping with other properties in Coggeshall, the exterior is old and attractive. The Reception is clean and bright - and that is as far as the good points went for us. The bar element was a typical pub (all soft drinks out of siphons!), and with three tables in that part, the remaining tables in the "restaurant" part were in a drear, tired, old, fusty back room that felt as if it had not been inhabited for decades. Now a well cooked pub Beel & Ale pie is a thing of joy! Sadly, my order of his at the White Hart turned into a thing of tears! There was not a single piece of meat that was edible or could even be cut inside the "pie". It did not come in an individual bowl (as is usual), but sat on a plate. The pastry was pale, undercooked and glutinous. The accompanying small pot of "gravy" was so acidic I choked on it. The mashed potato that accompanied it was so dry-looking I asked for some butter to enrich it - which unfortunately appeared only to turn it into a mass of wallpaper paste - and simply inedible. I have a permanent gripe about why catering establishments cannot be bothered to put even a smidgeon of seasoning on vegetables - surely not too onerous a task? Obviously so, here - vegetables were straight out of the pan. This was unarguably the worst, most inedible plate of food it has been my misfortune to eat. Of course I complained, and the waiter (an extremely sympathetic type, was said he was astonished I found it inedible as "everyone loved it!" (!)), duly reported my comments, and returned to tell me I could have a pudding (dessert) "on the house". I chose what read to be a tasteful basket of summer fruits and ice cream. What came was precisely one strawberry sliced; four blueberries, one scoop of ice cream - all encased in a supermarket-bought, pre-packaged biscuit basket! Quite outrageous that a hotel purporting to hold an AA rosette should be stooping to such chicanery! Money simply thrown down the drain. If the hotel cannot produce and provide food of today's expected standard, it should not be advertising such. I wasn't just unhappy; I was disgusted!

Room Tip: Not applicable for my review
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank myzazzy
I do apologise we didn't get your meal right on the day. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen. Thank you for leaving a review.

Travellers are raving about these Coggeshall hotels

Redhill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at the White Hart Hotel for two nights in early April. The room rate was good and there was a friendly welcome at reception. There is off-road parking behind the hotel.

The room was a reasonable size but it had not been hoovered for some time. As well as a dust build up there were crumbs and hairs on the floor. There had been an attempt to modernise the bathroom, but the dirty window frame spoilt the effect. The shower broke on the last morning.

The bar meals are a reasonable price and there is friendly service. Order at the bar - I asked a passing waitress for a dish and she went off leaving me thinking I had ordered it. Luckily the observant barman came to my aid. The bar staff seem to double up as reception staff and are very good natured. As a lone woman business traveller, I was pleased with the relaxed atmosphere in the bar, which attracts locals as well as people staying in the hotel.

If they could just get the maintenance and room cleaning right, this would be an excellent place to stay for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back to avoid road noise
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tiller5
Thank you for your lovely comments about the team and taking your time to leave your thoughts about your stay.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed over night following a good meal which was reasonably priced. The room was a good size, the wardrobe was large enough for our over night stay. Nice tv with a sky hd box, with plenty of channels. The bed was a king size with a comfortable mattress.
On the negative side, the was a small amount of mould growing on the original window behind the secondary glazing, there was only two of the three panes in place. Further more there was also mould on the ceiling in the on suite and the shower did have some of the jets that did not go into the bath and went on the floor and was not very hot in the morning.
Although it was a nice stay, we did not believe it was fully worth over a hundred pounds a night for the room.
The breakfast could have been slightly better, the full English oly had 2 rashers of bacon a sausage mushroom and egg and tomato. No beans ,black pudding or hash browns and my partners request for toast never arrived.
When we where checking out we where never asked was everything alright with the room, as we would have mentioned this then, rather than on here. Also do have photos of the things we have written about.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review, I have passed on your thoughts to housekeeping and the issues have been dealt with. We will look forward to seeing you soon.
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We had a good stay in a lovely, comfortable room for 2 nights. The staff were all very cheerful and helpful. The bathroom was clean when we arrived. My only criticism (and I am very fussy) is that housekeeping needs to be more thorough about cleaning up watermarks on the tiles etc when doing 'top up' cleaning for the second night. We would certainly stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for passing on your thoughts about your stay with us. I will be sure to tell the team. I hope you enjoy many more happy anniversary's.

Cheers

Sarah
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Recently stayed a couple of nights at this Hotel for my Husband's Birthday. We had a very comfortable stay in this beautiful old Hotel. The Hotel is in need of some TLC, but the enthusiasm and commitment of the staff more than made up for any shabbiness in Hotel décor!

We had a lovely evening meal and great breakfasts (special mention to the bacon .... which is sooooo tasty)!

The staff at this hotel are nothing short of brilliant - they listen (the duty manager dealt with a problem we had with our original room in a professional and friendly manner) and do everything they can to ensure you have a comfortable, pleasant stay.

Congratulations The White Hart to all your wonderful staff (Duty Manager, Bar Staff, Breakfast Staff etc.) who helped to make our stay so enjoyable! Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Your review was an absolute pleasure to read. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, I will be sure to tell the team. Hopefully we shall see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coggeshall
#4 of 5 in Braintree
#1 of 1 in Halstead
Essex Golf & Country Club
Essex Golf & Country Club
#1 of 2 in Earls Colne

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!