“Excellent stay, but no ghosts”

The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coggeshall
Isle of Thanet, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay, but no ghosts”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The White Hart is part of the Old English Inns group and it's exactly what the title suggests, it's very old and very English with parts of it dating back to Tudor times.

Having read some negative reviews, we were concerned about what we would find. What we did find was a very clean, comfortable bedroom with a clean and more than adequate bathroom, friendly, welcoming staff and good food, but no ghost.

We were in room 2 which overlooks the courtyard at the back, so apart from some noise from people enjoying a drink outdoors there's no other noise and the drinkers left well before bedtime. This was a large room with a large bathroom and small dressing room attached. All the usual hotel bits were provided: tea, coffee and hot chocolate, biscuits, shower gel/shampoo and hand wash. I always check the state of the bedding when we arrive, and this is an hotel that, correctly, uses mattress and pillow protectors under the sheet and pillow cases, so all very clean plus a very comfortable bed and our best night's sleep for ages.

Dinner was good and a real bargain at just £9.99 for two main courses and as this was a Sunday and we were eating in the evening the offer included proper Sunday roasts. A lovely lamb shank with all the trimmings served piping hot; very nice indeed. Breakfast was also very good, in fact better than any of the breakfasts that we had on the cruise that we took from Harwich the next morning. A wide choice of cereals, croissants, jams, yogurts, etc, followed by a freshly made full English breakfast with good qaulity ingredients and crispy toast. At just £50 for the two of us for B&B this was a real bargain.

The inn is in the middle of Coggeshall, just a short walk from two National Trust properties and across the road from a small Co-operative store, restaurants and a small selection of shops. There's a good sized car park behind the hotel.

We stayed here as our overnight stop before joining a cruise from Harwich and it's perfect for this. The White Hart is full of character and to us is far more appealing than the bland chain hotels. Sure the floors aren't straight, the rooms are all different sizes, the floorboards creak, you have to duck to avoid the beams if you're tall, but it's really, really old and so full of character. We loved it and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank penny4them
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Sorry about the ghosts they're not as reliable as we would like them to be! Absolutely lovely review to read, thank you, I will pass it on to all of the team. I hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

What a gem of old world charm, with the character one would expect. Staff were friendlyand welcoming, rooms were comfy and food was prompt and good value. A bit of old england like the old days, nothing was too much trouble. All in all an enjoyable stay. I would definitely stay again and hope I get to soon. A great place to get away from the blandness of the standard norm that is prevalent every where these days.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank silverfinish
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
We also think our building is lovely, thank you for your kind words
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have stayed at The White Hart in the beautiful small town of Coggeshall. I have been reading through some of the review on this site and cannot understand some of the comments; yes the hotel is a little tired and need of some TLC. However i have always found the rooms to be clean and fresh. When talking to wonderful staff I found that they were all very excited about the reverb due the begging of next year. what some people need to understand is that The White Hart Hotel is a very old building and is not going to be at the same level as a 5* hotel after all I only paid £60 for a double room with this own shower room, Sky TV, and free internet access. Witch for the price I though was great value for money. I look forward to my next stay and even more so to see what they have done to the place after the reverb.

Room Tip: I would go for a room at the front of the hotel as they are a little bigger
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ross S
Thank you for your kind words. Hopefully we will see you again soon
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here Whit Bank Holiday weekend, 16 of us altogether. 3 of us in very small room 15, larger empty room next door but we were not offered this. No hot water by late morning so showering impossible & we were going to a wedding so not good. Customer service very lacking I'm afraid. Food - had evening meal, 2 meals for £9.99, bit of chewy gammon, soggy chips & peas, enough said. Breakfast at £5.95 was dreadful. a promise of continental buffet & cooked breakfast. We arrived early but there were no croissants or Danish, when I asked the waitress Helen she just said there was cake, charming! A very miserable & sullen women I have to say. When I complained to Paul at reception he said they just run out of things sometimes, not good enough, this should not happen. Cooked was not good either, even my dog refused the sausage. There is a lovely café just over the road, go there it is superb only £1 extra but more food & worth it. All in all not a good experience. Only positive was Fay from housekeeping she was great, friendly & very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CFCgirl70
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
I will look into the issues you commented on, thank you for leaving your thoughts. I do apologise we were not at our best on your visit.

Travellers are raving about these Coggeshall hotels

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Skilfully retaining the character of this 15th Century inn, including the absence of straight wall or floor within the entire establishment, the owners have succeeded in providing a modern facility with every modern convenience, combining it with a warm and friendly environment where the staff could not possibly more welcoming or helpful.
All this, combined with good food and remarkably good value for money, this resting place is to be recommended on all counts - but not a ghost to be seen, I'm afraid! :-)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Terrapin1959
Richard D, Public Relations Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Your review was wonderful to read, thank you
Little Dunmow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stopped for lunch at this hotel in Coggeshall yesterday, Sunday May 11th. I have no knowledge of its hotel accommodation, so reserve this review entirely for the food available in the bar/back room "restaurant". Do not be deceived by the exterior or Reception entrance. In keeping with other properties in Coggeshall, the exterior is old and attractive. The Reception is clean and bright - and that is as far as the good points went for us. The bar element was a typical pub (all soft drinks out of siphons!), and with three tables in that part, the remaining tables in the "restaurant" part were in a drear, tired, old, fusty back room that felt as if it had not been inhabited for decades. Now a well cooked pub Beel & Ale pie is a thing of joy! Sadly, my order of his at the White Hart turned into a thing of tears! There was not a single piece of meat that was edible or could even be cut inside the "pie". It did not come in an individual bowl (as is usual), but sat on a plate. The pastry was pale, undercooked and glutinous. The accompanying small pot of "gravy" was so acidic I choked on it. The mashed potato that accompanied it was so dry-looking I asked for some butter to enrich it - which unfortunately appeared only to turn it into a mass of wallpaper paste - and simply inedible. I have a permanent gripe about why catering establishments cannot be bothered to put even a smidgeon of seasoning on vegetables - surely not too onerous a task? Obviously so, here - vegetables were straight out of the pan. This was unarguably the worst, most inedible plate of food it has been my misfortune to eat. Of course I complained, and the waiter (an extremely sympathetic type, was said he was astonished I found it inedible as "everyone loved it!" (!)), duly reported my comments, and returned to tell me I could have a pudding (dessert) "on the house". I chose what read to be a tasteful basket of summer fruits and ice cream. What came was precisely one strawberry sliced; four blueberries, one scoop of ice cream - all encased in a supermarket-bought, pre-packaged biscuit basket! Quite outrageous that a hotel purporting to hold an AA rosette should be stooping to such chicanery! Money simply thrown down the drain. If the hotel cannot produce and provide food of today's expected standard, it should not be advertising such. I wasn't just unhappy; I was disgusted!

Room Tip: Not applicable for my review
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank myzazzy
I do apologise we didn't get your meal right on the day. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen. Thank you for leaving a review.
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at the White Hart Hotel for two nights in early April. The room rate was good and there was a friendly welcome at reception. There is off-road parking behind the hotel.

The room was a reasonable size but it had not been hoovered for some time. As well as a dust build up there were crumbs and hairs on the floor. There had been an attempt to modernise the bathroom, but the dirty window frame spoilt the effect. The shower broke on the last morning.

The bar meals are a reasonable price and there is friendly service. Order at the bar - I asked a passing waitress for a dish and she went off leaving me thinking I had ordered it. Luckily the observant barman came to my aid. The bar staff seem to double up as reception staff and are very good natured. As a lone woman business traveller, I was pleased with the relaxed atmosphere in the bar, which attracts locals as well as people staying in the hotel.

If they could just get the maintenance and room cleaning right, this would be an excellent place to stay for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back to avoid road noise
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tiller5
Thank you for your lovely comments about the team and taking your time to leave your thoughts about your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coggeshall
#4 of 4 in Braintree
#1 of 2 in Earls Colne
The Bull Hotel
The Bull Hotel
#1 of 1 in Halstead

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!