“Well presented, large hotel, needs a little attention in areas”

De Vere Theobalds Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“Well presented, large hotel, needs a little attention in areas”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel on the evening before Christmas Eve 2013 for leisure purposes.
We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the main building in room number 611.
There are lots of rooms, and many corridors, but we found our room with no problems. The hotel is presented in a picturesque area and is generally very well kept.

The room was spacious, well decorated and attractively furnished. There were a few small areas, which needed attention considering this hotel is 4*;
Firstly, there was a hole in the net curtain in the window, the valance on the bed was ripped and the TV remote was missing. The lighting was quite dim which made the time consuming job of applying makeup that bit longer. Also, the flat screen TV was quite small in screen size and some of the channels were quite fuzzy, but this could have been because of the poor weather at the time.
Bath and shower were powerful and plentiful hot water for the both of us. But bath tiles and plugholes could have done with a deep clean. Lastly, considering it was December, the room was very cold when we arrived, with only an electric heater for heating. This obviously took some time to warm up the room. It would have been good if hotel staff could have warmed the rooms up slightly before check in time.

The bed was very comfortable and wardrobe had the usual facilities stowed away inside: kettle, safe, ironing board. The rooms had thick walls and we were not disturbed by noise for the entire time we stayed.

The main car parking area naturally got busier as the evening got later, but there was plentiful additional parking slightly further away.
I had noticed a few reviews mentioning that there was swimming pool at the venue. I was completely unaware of this, the Hotel website does not mention this and I couldn’t find any info in the hotel to suggest that there was one.

Other things to mention:
Unfortunately, during our stay, the power went off at around 11pm. It didn’t come back on until around 4-5am on 24th of December. There was nothing the hotel could do about this, but was a real pain. Our room entered into complete darkness and only the hotel corridors and reception remained lit.
During the night, we came across an interesting critter in the bed. I really hope he was not the type of creature I was thinking he was at the time I took the photo. Unfortunately, we were running very late when we checked out so I didn’t get a chance to speak to the staff on the desk about the power or our night time visitor in the bed.
In summary, we had an enjoyable break, but I think we would need to come back again under different circumstances to give a solid review. The lack of power and info regarding facilities makes me feel like I didn’t get the most out of what the hotel had to offer.

Room Tip: A room in the main block would be advantageous as it means you are close to the car park.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robert T
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Robert T

Thank you so much for the kind review you posted followin your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the unfortunate power cut we encountred did not mar your stay too much.

I am concerned to learn of the small housekeeping items that you detail and assure you that your feedback has been taken on board with all concerned. These items should indeed be identified and corrected long before a room is let and I am sorry for this lapse.

I do sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future.

Kevin Breeze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
swindon
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This is a really picturesque hotel in wonderful grounds. The Staff were excelent and the food very good. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Would stay there again and would recommend it to anyone. There was a Gym, Pool and a seperate dining area in one of the conference rooms

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wisle
Dear Wisle

Thank you kindly for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your brief stay and that my team were able to look after you so well.

Look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

On arrival cannot help but be impressed and the welcoming reception staff was the start of an enjoyable stay. We had booked with friends on a dinner, bed & breakfast deal excellent value for money.

The hotel is obviously geared for the business user during the week but a very leisure break venue at weekends. The quirky old manor house is a pleasure to stay in, it's not the chrome and glass style modern hotel this is a fascinating old house full of history so enjoy it.

Dinner in the evening was well cooked and presented and served by first class staff. The buffet style breakfast in the morning was not piled high but being constantly refreshed with freshly cooked food, staff in the morning could have been a bit more interested in making sure that tea & coffee was available they didn't seem that interested.

The bar on the Saturday evening had a total disaster and I felt sorry for the one chap behind the bar who had problems with all but one draft lager to serve, no good if like me you don't drink the stuff. Didn't spoil our evening but dreadful shame couldn't sit and enjoy a beer or two before dinner.

We had a small room on the second floor with just a small window with no view at all, so try and get a room at the front with the views of the wonderful grounds.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear KVS79

Thank you so much for the glowing review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your brief visit and that my team were able to look after you so well.
I am sorry to learn of the problems encountered in our bar one evening during your stay as our cooler system had malfunctioned. I am pleased that this did not mar your stay in any way.

Look forward to being of service to you again soon.

London
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed two nights for a family wedding. we had a room on top floor which was nice and quite tucked away at the top of the building.
The view from the window was also good.
The staff were fine although being such a large hotel there was no personal service as such.
Room was clean and warm. Fairly basic and not huge but adequate.
A really nice touch that I haven't seen in other hotels was throughout the hotel were there were complimentary tea/ coffee/ pastry stations were you could just help yourself at any time. They were replenished thought the day. The children in our party loved it as they could go and help themselves to pastries and cakes. There was fresh milk and a microwave so great for topping up babies milk bottles too.
There was lots of space for kids to run around outside.
Very convenient location- 5 mins from M25.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear LondonGirl275

Thank you kindly for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your brief visit and the facilities available here.
I have passed your kind words onto all concerned who are all equally pleased. Thankyou

I do hope we have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future

Sandy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights to attend a wedding, we checked in quickly and without fuss or issue and found our room easily thanks to clear signs. The room was clean and spacious, the bed lovely and huge with plenty of pillows. The room facilities were good, a safe, iron, hair dryer and toiletries replenished each day as well as tea/coffee making facilities with plenty to make. The communal areas of the hotel were also clean and staff friendly. We ate in the bar the first night and it was the best hotel food I have ever had. I had the burger and chips priced £10.95 and it's the best burger I have ever had, so much flavour! I chose it thinking its a quick easy dish, but it was well presented, well cooked and so big I struggled to finish it. The bar was not particularly cheap, as with most hotels, but it was well stocked. Due to early starts I made a lot of use of the complimentary tea/coffee bars around the hotel, great standard coffee and good quality tea. Also loved the fact you could have flavours added, I really enjoyed the vanilla latte macchiatos! The breakfasts were also very nice. Plenty to choose from, whether you want cooked breakfast, cereals or continental. My only complaint was the room was very small and a lot of tables were crammed in to accommodate all the guests. It meant trips to the food often took a while as you tried to get through without elbowing, knocking people and banging into tables. Like our evening meal though, it was well cooked and very tasty. The second night we ate at the ridings barn at the wedding reception and the food there was also of a high standard. All in all we had a wonderful weekend and wouldn't hesitate staying again should we have reason to visit the area.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Clare W
Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park to attend a wedding here.
I so delighted to learn that you enjoyed your weekend so much and that the wedding was a resounding success.
I have taken the liberty of sharing your kind feedback with all concerned and they are equally pleased. Thank you.
I do sincerely hope you will find reason to visit us again in the not too distant future.

london
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here and thought it was lovely dont know what people are moaning about staff friendly room clean and very warm. Drinks expensive in bar but thats what you expect in most hotels, would deff go again for £39 cant complain

Room Tip: if you have mobility problems dont go to top floor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon063
Dear Sharon063
Thank you kindly for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am delighted that the enjoyed your brief visit and that my team were able to look after you so well.I have taken the liberty of sharing your great feedback with all concerned who are equally pleased . Thank you.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future.
Manchester
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I recently stayed here (business trip) and although I had read the reviews I was still a bit disappointed with the place. It is a lovely old building & could be amazing but at present it is just unloved & understaffed. The room was OK & bed comfortable. But slow running plumbing really should be attended to (10 minutes for a sink to empty???.... get some Mr Muscle on it, please!!). Evening meal in the bar was ok but I thought £9.90 for a glass of Rioja served in a smeared, dirty glass really was a bit cheeky..... I would have complained but couldn't find anybody to speak to!!. Breakfast (self service) you have pay extra for, it was OK but once again clearly not enough staff for the volume of guests. Communal areas were quite dirty, smeared tables, carpets that needed a good hovering. However it was quite cheap so I guess you get what you pay for?..... glad I hadn’t picked this for a romantic weekend though….. Premier Inn is actually better value. My advice to the manager?..... the place needs a good clean & more staff. One bright note, the receptionist was lovely & very friendly, clearly trying to do her best amidst the chaos!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building as other guests reported that the annexe is a bit scummy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear LRmanchester
Thank you for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your brief stay with us but am naturally very concerned to learn that certain aspects of your stay were not to your satisfaction and sincerly apologise for the obvious dissappointment this caused you. Please be assured that I take all feedback very seriously indeed and have taken your comments back to the teams responsible for review and action.Thank you.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in Theobalds Park at a future date when we shall endeavour to ensure all is as it should be.
Kevin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey
West Lodge Park Hotel

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!