“Devere Theobalds Park - best described as Dire Theobalds Park”

De Vere Theobalds Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had booked for one night at this Hotel and the photos on the website looked interesting. An old mansion house with a modern conference centre close to the M25 J25. I booked via late rooms and when we went to check in we found that late rooms had not charged me and I assumed that I had paid and we had to find another card or pay by cash instead. We retired early and our room was in the old mansion house side of the building (room 102). This building has very poor sound insulation, and the whole carpet and halls needed a vacuum/clean. We heard people on both sides and above us, as though they were in the room. We heard their TV, parties, screaming, shouting, and couldn't sleep so we rang the reception who offered to move us at 4am! We stuck it out - not wanting to get up and move at dawn, but couldn't sleep. In the morning we had a good breakfast, and then my wife went into the garden and discovered an ornate treehouse in the grounds which was open to explore. It was a reasonable sized room for a training event built up a staircase with a roofed room and platform between the trees. The staircase and platform were very slippery and she fell over bruising her arm and cutting her hand. In short, we are not going to repeat this experience it was not pleasant.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan R
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Alan R
Thank you for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I so sorry to read that certain aspect of youtr stay did not meet you expectations and I seek to assure you that your constructive comments have been taken back to all concerned.
I read with equal concern details of your wife's trip whilst exploring our treehouse. I have no record of any such accident from my Duty Teams and am very concerned to learn of such. if you could plse contact the hotel directly we would very much wish to complete our in house investigations.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had a room in the main house and it could all have done with a refurb, especially the carpet. We love De vere hotels but this needs bringing up to scratch. It also could do with some better signage to reception when driving in. Coffee stations are brilliant as is free wi fi. Also every time I walked past the communal toilets the smell of toilet cleaner was so strong it made me feel sick!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eileen j

Dear eileen j
Thank you kindly for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am pleased that you enjoyed your brief stay in particular our free flowing coffee/tea stations around the hotel.
I thank you for your constructive comments surrounding the decor in certain parts and do assure you that we have an ongoing programme of upgrade and that the areas you detail are shortly undergoing this process.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future when you will be able to witness the changes made.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed here for one night on our annual conference in the ridings building. The location of this room is no problem but it's 200m from the main building and with the recent weather we have had I was drenched. The room was quite small but comfy with everything in it even WiFi, the conference facility's are good which a number of coffee station around. We didn't eat in there at night but breakfast and lunch where good.
The hotel is a good location of the M25 and does have spectacular grounds

Room Tip: Riding rooms are room but a fair distance from the main hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Morriestravels
Thank you for the kind review you posted recently following you annual conference here at Theobalds Park.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your brief stay and that the team were able to look after you so well.
I am so sorry that the best of British Winter made the walk from our Barn to the Main Reception a bit of a wet one. We do have courtesy umbrellas at both locations and am sorry that these were not made available to you.
Thank you again for your kind feedback and I hope that we will have the pleasureiof your company again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Hi everyone I thought I would treat my wife to a 4 star hotel.we arrived at reception and there was no electric.so I asked for the courtyard room and they said that's ok.everything was fine until someone knocked on the door.I said that we was ok.then obviously a member of staff that had the pass card tried to break into our room as we were falling asleep.my wife was very disturbed and since that time.we do not trust this place.so a good job.well done.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear bert263
Thank you for the review you posted following your recent stay with us at Theobalds Park.
I am so sorry that your brief stay was affected by the power cut we encountered owing to the extreme weather at this time.
My team did endeavour to ensure all our customers staying were ok during this time and as such I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by this.
Please be assured that we value all feedback and your comments have been taken on board.
I hope we can be of service to you again in the near future so you can enjoy Theobalds Park as you should.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed here after a business meeting as a bolt on to go to London!

Hotel is in beautiful grounds and the mansion house itself is gorgeous.

Checked in the guy on reception was very welcoming, he gave us the option of staying in the new block or the mansion house...as we prefer old things we picked the mansion house. As we walked to it you come through the main part of the old reception with all the ceilings painted, an ornate staircase and original tiled floor...gorgeous.

Our room was very nice, very clean and decorated lovely. Bed was comfortable, bathroom nice and big and got an amazing hot bubble bath!

We had the buffet breakfast, there was a lot of choice both continental and cooked. I had a bit of both, only complaint would be the cooked side was starting to go a bit cold....they should have been able to replenish or heat this up a bit better. Working in the food industry as part of food safety, I would hate to say what type of bugs would be thriving in that temperature if not steaming hot.

Overall excellent stay and would stay again but just need more attention at breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Draculas-Bride666
Thank you for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your brief stay in particular our fabulous Old Mansion House.
I have noted your comments surrounding the temperature of the food at breakfast and have taken your constructive feedback to the teams involved.Thank you.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Booked new years eve party with friends, staff friendly check in very easy, food very good service as well plenty of of food as well, hotel a little tired in places room 605 was clean and spacious, the piper that piped us to our meal was a very good touch disco was good fireworks were brilliant one little moan no news channel on tv apart from that nice hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pip797
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear PIP797

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted following your New Year's Eve stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the event as it is indeed very popular year on year. I have passed your kind comments onto all concerned thank you.

I have noted with concern the lack of 'News ' Channel available in your room and have addressed this with my Maintenance team.We do have BBC news 24 channel in all rooms and am sorry that there appeared to be a fault in your room.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and I hope we can welcome you back again to celebrate the arrival of 2015

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel on the evening before Christmas Eve 2013 for leisure purposes.
We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the main building in room number 611.
There are lots of rooms, and many corridors, but we found our room with no problems. The hotel is presented in a picturesque area and is generally very well kept.

The room was spacious, well decorated and attractively furnished. There were a few small areas, which needed attention considering this hotel is 4*;
Firstly, there was a hole in the net curtain in the window, the valance on the bed was ripped and the TV remote was missing. The lighting was quite dim which made the time consuming job of applying makeup that bit longer. Also, the flat screen TV was quite small in screen size and some of the channels were quite fuzzy, but this could have been because of the poor weather at the time.
Bath and shower were powerful and plentiful hot water for the both of us. But bath tiles and plugholes could have done with a deep clean. Lastly, considering it was December, the room was very cold when we arrived, with only an electric heater for heating. This obviously took some time to warm up the room. It would have been good if hotel staff could have warmed the rooms up slightly before check in time.

The bed was very comfortable and wardrobe had the usual facilities stowed away inside: kettle, safe, ironing board. The rooms had thick walls and we were not disturbed by noise for the entire time we stayed.

The main car parking area naturally got busier as the evening got later, but there was plentiful additional parking slightly further away.
I had noticed a few reviews mentioning that there was swimming pool at the venue. I was completely unaware of this, the Hotel website does not mention this and I couldn’t find any info in the hotel to suggest that there was one.

Other things to mention:
Unfortunately, during our stay, the power went off at around 11pm. It didn’t come back on until around 4-5am on 24th of December. There was nothing the hotel could do about this, but was a real pain. Our room entered into complete darkness and only the hotel corridors and reception remained lit.
During the night, we came across an interesting critter in the bed. I really hope he was not the type of creature I was thinking he was at the time I took the photo. Unfortunately, we were running very late when we checked out so I didn’t get a chance to speak to the staff on the desk about the power or our night time visitor in the bed.
In summary, we had an enjoyable break, but I think we would need to come back again under different circumstances to give a solid review. The lack of power and info regarding facilities makes me feel like I didn’t get the most out of what the hotel had to offer.

Room Tip: A room in the main block would be advantageous as it means you are close to the car park.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert T

Dear Robert T

Thank you so much for the kind review you posted followin your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the unfortunate power cut we encountred did not mar your stay too much.

I am concerned to learn of the small housekeeping items that you detail and assure you that your feedback has been taken on board with all concerned. These items should indeed be identified and corrected long before a room is let and I am sorry for this lapse.

I do sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future.

Kevin Breeze

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!