“Don't bother”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Unlike a great number of others who seemed to have had bargain rooms, we paid eighty nine pounds to stay here for one night! Breakfast was seventeen pounds extra for both of us. We were given a room in the mansion house which sounds grand but in fact it is not. Every step over the floor creaked loudly! The room we were allocated was above the ladies toilet so having unpacked and boiled the kettle we realised that the loud intermittent noise from under our floor was in fact the hand drier from below and considering there was a wedding going on it was likely to continue well into the early hours. We asked to be moved so we re packed and the next room we were allocated was in the new part of the building. Both rooms had four foot six beds in them (something we didn't think existed in a hotel now!) and lighting that is so poor it is impossible to read a newspaper! The mastic around the bath had mould ingrained into it. The rooms and general areas have an impression of needing a good spring clean! After travelling four hours to get there we decided that we would eat in the hotel so at seven thirty we went down to dinner. Having checked out the menu and food in the dining room It became obvious that this place was not going to provide the sort of meal that would be expected in a hotel of this caliber and as the main meals were at least ten pounds plus we decided to opt for the hot buffet which was fifteen pounds for three courses. The waitress then told us that we couldn't eat from the buffet until they knew all the conference guests had been fed and if we liked to come back at eight they would tell us if enough food was left over to enable us to choose that option. We sat in the bar to wait for a while and then decided as we were hungry, rather than wait we would order from the bar menu. My husband went to the bar to order and, as it was unmanned a passing employee went to find someone. We waited for another ten minutes before anyone appeared at the bar to take an order (in fact another couple we're already waiting before us!) 'My husband ordered chicken pie with chips and mushy peas and I ordered fish fingers in a bap with a side of rocket salad. After ten minutes they came back to tell us that they had run out of mushy peas, so my husband agreed to have vegetables. When the meal arrived not only did it look like a school dinner (and this was ten pounds fifty!) but it had mash and not chips! They apologised and said they would bring chips on the side and so they did. My side of rocket salad turned out to be a tiny bowl with some stripped leaves, it would have fit into a tea cup, for three pounds fifty! The bap was clearly microwaved and became drier as the minutes went on. All in all we have been very disappointed. Clearly no one checks the reviews for this hotel as they mostly have the same comments. This hotel should only charge Travelodge prices and no more! We would not stay in a De Vere hotel again! Come on Tesco, you can do better than this!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cherry04
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Cherry04,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay here at Theobalds Park. I am disappointed to here that you wouldn't bother returning to us again.

I can ensure that our reviews get checked and replied to on a weekly basis by myself as feedback is something we pride ourselves on here at Theobalds.

I would like to discuss your stay here with us further, if you could kindly contact me on jwhite2@deverevenues.co.uk and i can discuss this more in depth with yourself.

Jodie White

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Room:
I stayed in the Ridings part of the hotel for one night. The room was lovely, spacious and clean. Two minor gripes with the room - there was no way of controlling the temperature in the room - it was cold when I arrived and then extremely hot when I returned to go to bed after the evening meal.

Food:
The food was good; nothing to write home about. I had the brie with chutney followed by chicken and then profiteroles. One of people in our group received their main course 20 minutes later than everyone else as they had run out of what was originally ordered and then they forgot about the substitute dish.

Parking:
When I arrived the only place I could park was on the side of the road, which seemed to be what everyone else was doing as the car park was full. I don't think this is going to be an issue that will be resolved as they are right near a major supermarket's training center, so it's just an observation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Gourmetglobetrotter,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay here At Theobalds Park.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the Riding's bedroom that you were allocated, I am however disappointed to here that the restaurant evening meal fell short of f the mark during your stay.
I have passed on your comments to our head chef and restaurant manager to highlight this area of concern and make sure that this situation won't arise again.

I am sorry to hear that you found it hard to find a car Parking space upon arrival, unfortunately during your stay we were fully booked that day and the Academy which is our training center was also full.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we see you again in the near future.

kind regards

LANCASTER
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Staying in the ridings, room was spacious and clean. 17 of us sat down for our evening meal, 16 of us received our main meal. Having been told they'd run out of red snapper (that was 1/4 choices on the set menu!!), I had to have salmon. It arrived 20 minutes after the rest of the group. It looked more like lamb than salmon. The restaurant manager (not a native English speaker) was abrupt if not rude. The evening meal was small in portion, and tasteless, except the overpowering huge amount of salt. I strongly believe it was the 'salmon' that made me distinctly ill that night so be warned. Choice was poor, quality was low, service was average. Breakfast was as disappointing as dinner. No bananas, warm yoghurt, had to ask 3 times for tea. Reception staff were decent. All in all for what we paid, a completely sub standard stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank katej150
Dear Katej150,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay here at Theobalds Park.

I am sorry to read that you felt your stay was only to a standard level of satisfaction. Regarding your comments on your evening meal I am disappointed to read that again this did not exceed expectations. I have passed your comments regarding the Salmon and lack of red snapper on to our head Chef and our restaurant manager.

I am pleased to hear that you found our reception team to be of a Decent standard, feedback is something we thrive on here at Theobalds Park and I thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

The Theobalds Team

Travellers are raving about these Cheshunt hotels

Xanton-Chassenon
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I reserved this hotel and then read the reviews, most of which were negative! Yes, it could be better signposted and yes it is a long drive up to the hotel, but what do you expect when you book such a venue. There was plenty of parking and I managed to park my hire car right outside. First impression was "wow" with the exterior. A few of the negative reviews said that the staff were unhelpful - this is certainly not he case. They were efficient, Professional but also friendly and welcoming. Another negative remark was the amount of stars. Yes, there were quite a few but again when you book such a venue, you should expect this! My bedroom was well appointed with a safe, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities, flat screen Tv and an electric fan. My bathroom was lovely with a modern shower. The free tea and coffee around the hotel as also most welcoming. The restaurant staff were extremely friendly and the service excellent with food to match. Breakfast was a buffet (another negative review!) the choice was wonderful. I didn't need lunch! I can certainly recommend this hotel and I as only sorry that I only had 1 night there. I visit Enfield every year visiting family and I will certainly be trying to reserve a room.on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Val G
Dear Val G,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.
I'm delighted to here you had such a wonderful stay with us, I also recently also received your email and have passed your kind words on to our team!

Thank you again for your time and we hope to see you again in the near future.

kind regards

Consett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Had heard nothing but good reports about this hotel prior to our visit.
We had opted to stay in the building just a short walk from the main hotel (only because the rooms looked nicer). However, none of the heating in our room worked. The room was freezing. We rang reception and the guy on duty told us that the maintenance man had left for the night and that he would fix it in the morning. This never happened. We did get a second electric heater brought to our room to try and warm us up. (There was already one heater present which implies that they probably knew the heating wasn't working before we even turned up!). My partner wanted to complain further but we decided against it as our stay was only for a few days.
Breakfast was lovely, there was the usual; fried breakfast, toast, cereal, juice, tea, coffee etc. However, the same couldn't be said for the expensive room service which turned out to be a Tesco's refrigerated pizza smothered in cheese!
Anyway, despite the bad stuff, the staff were friendly and you are within close proximity to Cheshunt train station which takes you straight into London (about a £10 taxi ride). We got our room bed and breakfast for £19 per night which you cannot fault even without proper heating!
There was also 2 showers in the bathroom! Not entirely necessary but it did make getting ready on a morning slightly easier!

Room Tip: Book in the main hotel not the neighboring block!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Dentals13,

I am writing in regards to your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't satisfactory . I have passed all of your comments on to the maintenance team regarding your broken heating and they are currently now under refurbishment. I am pleased however to hear that the staff were accommodating and offered you further assistance.

I am disappointed to hear that our room service wasn't to your liking, but I can guarantee that all of our pizzas are made here on site and not brought in from Tesco’s or any other supermarket.
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the bathroom facilities and that you found our staff to be friendly and our location to the railway useful.

I thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

With great transport links being just off M25 and Cheshunt railway station a very short taxi ride away you can easily access London if you do not want to drive in. The staff were simply brilliant in all areas. The room we had was in the main house overlooking the garden and beyond and apart from the ladybirds that checked in the room with us it was clean, comfortable . Breakfast was once again up to the usual Devere standard with such wide choice and waiting on staff were very welcoming. There is an amount of complimentary drinks machines around the hotel with extra touches like milkshakes, biscuits, apples, nuts. We did have a meal in the bar area which my wife and i both enjoyed. We stayed here for 2 days and was a great base to go into London which we did and watched a show in the evening and caught the train back the taxi fare was 8.50p and the day rider to use on train and underground all day was 12.50p. Thank you to all the staff we had brilliant time and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: we had room 107 simply brilliant.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Nicholson_11,

I would to thank you for your lovely review regarding your stay recently at Theobalds park!
I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much with us here and I have passed on your kind words to all of our team.
I’m glad to hear our location was a perfect base for your weekend away and you got to enjoy the short commute into the city.

I hope to see you both again in the near future.

Kind regards The Theobalds Team
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The room I was placed in was filthy. There were cobwebs everywhere including on top of the tv. There were stains on the bedding and dead flies on the window seal. The room was boiling hot and the heater couldn't be turned off. Ended up being moved to a single room from the double room booked because of the heating issues. The new room had a fly buzzing around. It was ridiculously tiny. In short it is highly unlikely I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Abike,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am so sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing stay here with us and that you would class us the “worst place ever”.

If you would like to contact me on jwhite2@deverevenues.co.uk I would like to discuss your review further.

I look forward to hearing from you

Jodie White
Front of House Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Travelodge Cheshunt
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey
West Lodge Park Hotel

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!