“If you want a budget wedding, consider another venue!”

De Vere Theobalds Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
London, United Kingdom
“If you want a budget wedding, consider another venue!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I've just returned from a wedding reception at this hotel. The setting was lovely and allowed for some pretty pictures. The various rooms used were perfectly adequate with the big exception that there were far too few chairs for everyone to sit and eat the buffet supper. However, the food was dreadful. I have never had such a dreary and stodgy offering anywhere before. A pub could have done better. Nearly everything was brown in colour; the quiche had a ridiculously thick base and very little topping; the chichen pieces were too highly spiced and were dry - I could go on but you get the pucture. The dessert was dark brown or darker brown - actually both tasted reasonably ok. The best food was the wedding cake made by the bride's aunt. I know you get what you pay for but I've have eaten better and more appetising buffet food that I'm sure cost no more, probably less. If that is the best the hotel can do at this budget level then they should be ashamed of themselves and withdraw that menu selection immediately. It has put me off so much that I would probably never use a de Vere hotel for any future function, however high a budget I have.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shelagh C
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review concerning the wedding reception you attended at Theobalds Park recently. I was extremely disappointed that you did not find the evening buffet selection up to our normal high standards. Whilst the selections were made by the happy couple with regards to what is on the menu, comments such as the food being dry are of course a concern and I will follow this up with the Head Chef.

With regards to your comments concerning the ‘quiche’, there was not any quiche on the menu; however there was a focaccia bread pizza, which would of course have the thick base that you describe. I am however glad to hear that you enjoyed our home made rocky road and Chocolate Brownie.

With the buffet being an informal ‘snack’ style buffet rather than a formal dinner seating was not provided for every guest, as is the case with most evening wedding receptions, however across the two rooms there were over 70 seats and of course the team would have been more than happy to provide additional seating for any guest that was in need and asked for assistance. I do hope that any shortcomings with the buffet did not detract from an otherwise enjoyable celebration !

Kind Regards

Will

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
London
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I had a very nice room in the courtyard some distance from the hotel . Walking to the holt I had to negotiate a flooded entrance with no one to advise on an alternative way in. The reception staff find' seem to concerned. The evening meal was ok but not particularly exciting.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Adrian52403,

Thank you for your recent review on Theobalds Park. I am sorry to hear that you only found your stay to be average with us due to the above comments.

I have spoken to our reception team regarding the flooding, unfortunately due to the heavy rain fall that evening there was a slight delay in the water being drained from our front entrance. As soon as this was realised we re-directed our customers to our mansion house entrance until the water had cleared. I apologise at the time of your arrival we had not yet been able to put in an alternative route to reception.

We look forward to seeing you again.

The Theobalds Park Team
Warwickshire,UK
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My colleague and stayed here, for one night, on business. The hotel is really quite a fantastic building. The old part is steeped in history. Our check in went smoothly, marred only by the receptionist calling me by my first name, which I detest. My room was quite a way away from reception but was a large double aspect with a huge bed and sofa etc. Very comfortable, but furnished with dark wood everywhere which made it look gloomy. Good quality tea and coffee available in the room and it was spotless. We dined out of the hotel, but opted for breakfast @ £8.50 per head and eat as much as you like. There was a large selection of good quality food, both hot and cold.
There are a lot of conference rooms at the hotel and the car parks get very full in the morning. The only criticism I have is that the main carpeted areas throughout the hotel look shabby and need renewing.
I did not use the leisure facilities so cannot comment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear 1532jo,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our building to be fantastic and full of history.
I am sorry to read that you found it uncomfortable to be called by your first name, we allow the team to call guests by there first name to make check- in slightly more homely and have a friendly and helpful check in.

We hope to see you again soon and thank you again for your lovely review

Borehamwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was simply a bed for the night - late arrival and up very early for work.
Check in could not have been more friendly, loved our room which had great views and the bar service was excellent along with the standard of food. Prices could not be faulted either.
On the downside, the carpet in our bedroom was stained in places and I found the mattress a little hard.
The building itself is amazing and full of history, so will definitely return at some stage in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Markstradling,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay here with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

I have passed all of your kind words on to the relevant departments and they are delighted to hear that they made your stay so enjoyable.

We look forward to hearing from you again and seeing you in the future

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Family occasion required a last minute booking ... We got a value deal and had two rooms for two nights for £156 which worked out at c. £40 per person per night.
Buffet Breakfast was extra @ £8.50 each but was well worth it and set us up well for the days.
Rooms were more than adequate and the bedroom with the wet bathroom facilities was excellent.
Staff in all areas from reception, housekeeping, restaurants and bar could not have been more helpful. I particularly appreciated the energy stations, which I believe were for the conference facilities, and the coffees, teas biscuits and fruit went down a treat at all times of the day/night. Will definitely book again. Ps: we stayed here a few years back and the facilities have improved immensely.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Akonholiday,

I am delighted to here you had such a great stay with us recently here at Theobalds Park.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our level of service, energy stations and breakfast offering, feedback is something we thrive ourselves on at Theobalds and it is always a great joy to read when we have really excelled expectations.

We do hope you will join us and book again and look forward to your return!

The Team at Theobalds Park
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We booked room on very short notice for over-night stay on Friday 18th April. On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and very helpful. We have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and at times found it to be not very well managed but what a pleasant change we had on this stay, a vast improvement. The room was very clean and comfortable, breakfast was excellent and the service was beyond expectations. Our evening meal was also very good, with excellent service, nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff. My wife's steak was cooked to perfection, exactly as she likes it. Our only criticism was that the TV in our room was antiquated and needed replacing with a more up-to-date model.

Room Tip: We occupied Room 502 on this occasion.
Dear Colin H,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay here with us at Theobalds Park.

I would like to thank you for your kind words. Myself and the team here are delighted to hear that you had such a delightful stay.

We have been working towards improving our standards at Theobalds and it is great to hear that these changes and improvements have been noticed by yourselves.

We look forward to seeing you again

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had our wedding reception here in the Mansion on 12 April 2014 and it was perfect in every way. Katie and Adrian were attentive, flexible and went out of their ways to make our day special. All our guests loved the venue, service, food, everything. We particularly liked the fact there were quieter areas for non-dancing guests.
We stayed from the Thursday to the Sunday and even had our own breakfast room for guests the morning after, which allowed us to prolong the celebrations. A room was made available for my bridesmaids and I to get ready in, which was really appreciated. Adrian was available all day to assist and direct proceedings - considering they have up to 4 weddings over a weekend, we were made to feel the only ones there.

Room Tip: Mansion house has more character!
1 Thank Vanessa B
Dear Vanessa B

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your wedding with us here at Theobalds!

We are delighted to hear that we could be a part of your special day and that we could make it as smooth running and enjoyable as possible for you.

I have passed all of your kind words on the team and Adrian and Katie.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future and maybe a return anniversary visit!

The Theobalds Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey
West Lodge Park Hotel

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!