“break”

De Vere Theobalds Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight and although the room was adequate there are parts of the hotel that are a bit tired and worn for a 4 star hotel. The evening meal was average a little dry and reheated which may be because of the wedding in the hotel taking preference in the kitchen. Really good breakfast self service though. It's as if the hotel is back to front with the impressive entrance not being in use in favour of the modern extension. We got the feeling priority of business is corporate functions.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Simon S,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay here at Theobalds Park.

I am disappointed to hear that you find parts of the hotel warn and tired, we are currently under going many maintenance projects to improve our public areas and give the hotel a fresher look and feel.

I have spoken to our chef regarding your comments on the food during your stay.
We are pleased to hear that you found our breakfast enjoyable but disappointed to hear that found your evening meal to be dry and pre heated. I can assure you that all of our food here at Theobalds its cooked fresh and nothing is pre heated due to Health and Safety reasons.

We did have a wedding on during your stay but this will not have affected anyone else’s stay in regards to service and priorities. We have a team for each are of the business that is dedicated to each area of the hotel and each function taking place to ensure everything is running smoothly throughout and each guests has an enjoyable stay.

Exeter
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed for two nights whilst visiting family, had a good deal. Room was fairly large with a large comfortable bed and was very quiet which was all we needed. Lovely grounds, although they do need to sort out the large pot holes on the drive. Did'nt eat here so cant comment, bar was okay. Overall very pleased and would consider staying again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear The_wandererexeter,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park, I have passed your comments on to all of our team.

I am glad you found our grounds to be lovely, with the summer weather drawing in we are very fortunate to have such lovely grounds for our guests to enjoy in the sunshine!
Regarding your comments about our pot holes in the drive way, we are pleased to way work went underway this week and we now have a much smoother drive into the hotel.

Thank you again for your kind review.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I've just returned from a wedding reception at this hotel. The setting was lovely and allowed for some pretty pictures. The various rooms used were perfectly adequate with the big exception that there were far too few chairs for everyone to sit and eat the buffet supper. However, the food was dreadful. I have never had such a dreary and stodgy offering anywhere before. A pub could have done better. Nearly everything was brown in colour; the quiche had a ridiculously thick base and very little topping; the chichen pieces were too highly spiced and were dry - I could go on but you get the pucture. The dessert was dark brown or darker brown - actually both tasted reasonably ok. The best food was the wedding cake made by the bride's aunt. I know you get what you pay for but I've have eaten better and more appetising buffet food that I'm sure cost no more, probably less. If that is the best the hotel can do at this budget level then they should be ashamed of themselves and withdraw that menu selection immediately. It has put me off so much that I would probably never use a de Vere hotel for any future function, however high a budget I have.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shelagh C
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review concerning the wedding reception you attended at Theobalds Park recently. I was extremely disappointed that you did not find the evening buffet selection up to our normal high standards. Whilst the selections were made by the happy couple with regards to what is on the menu, comments such as the food being dry are of course a concern and I will follow this up with the Head Chef.

With regards to your comments concerning the ‘quiche’, there was not any quiche on the menu; however there was a focaccia bread pizza, which would of course have the thick base that you describe. I am however glad to hear that you enjoyed our home made rocky road and Chocolate Brownie.

With the buffet being an informal ‘snack’ style buffet rather than a formal dinner seating was not provided for every guest, as is the case with most evening wedding receptions, however across the two rooms there were over 70 seats and of course the team would have been more than happy to provide additional seating for any guest that was in need and asked for assistance. I do hope that any shortcomings with the buffet did not detract from an otherwise enjoyable celebration !

Kind Regards

Will

Travellers are raving about these Cheshunt hotels

London
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I had a very nice room in the courtyard some distance from the hotel . Walking to the holt I had to negotiate a flooded entrance with no one to advise on an alternative way in. The reception staff find' seem to concerned. The evening meal was ok but not particularly exciting.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Adrian52403,

Thank you for your recent review on Theobalds Park. I am sorry to hear that you only found your stay to be average with us due to the above comments.

I have spoken to our reception team regarding the flooding, unfortunately due to the heavy rain fall that evening there was a slight delay in the water being drained from our front entrance. As soon as this was realised we re-directed our customers to our mansion house entrance until the water had cleared. I apologise at the time of your arrival we had not yet been able to put in an alternative route to reception.

We look forward to seeing you again.

The Theobalds Park Team
Warwickshire,UK
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My colleague and stayed here, for one night, on business. The hotel is really quite a fantastic building. The old part is steeped in history. Our check in went smoothly, marred only by the receptionist calling me by my first name, which I detest. My room was quite a way away from reception but was a large double aspect with a huge bed and sofa etc. Very comfortable, but furnished with dark wood everywhere which made it look gloomy. Good quality tea and coffee available in the room and it was spotless. We dined out of the hotel, but opted for breakfast @ £8.50 per head and eat as much as you like. There was a large selection of good quality food, both hot and cold.
There are a lot of conference rooms at the hotel and the car parks get very full in the morning. The only criticism I have is that the main carpeted areas throughout the hotel look shabby and need renewing.
I did not use the leisure facilities so cannot comment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear 1532jo,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our building to be fantastic and full of history.
I am sorry to read that you found it uncomfortable to be called by your first name, we allow the team to call guests by there first name to make check- in slightly more homely and have a friendly and helpful check in.

We hope to see you again soon and thank you again for your lovely review

Borehamwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was simply a bed for the night - late arrival and up very early for work.
Check in could not have been more friendly, loved our room which had great views and the bar service was excellent along with the standard of food. Prices could not be faulted either.
On the downside, the carpet in our bedroom was stained in places and I found the mattress a little hard.
The building itself is amazing and full of history, so will definitely return at some stage in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Markstradling,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay here with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

I have passed all of your kind words on to the relevant departments and they are delighted to hear that they made your stay so enjoyable.

We look forward to hearing from you again and seeing you in the future

The Theobalds Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey
West Lodge Park Hotel

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!