“Weekend break”

De Vere Theobalds Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel was nice and the food was good. However the rooms were a bit tired and small? Overall the hotel needed some maintenance. The staff were friendly and we enjoyed our stay. Lovely grounds and well located.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Shirley T,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park!

I am pleased to hear that you found our venue to be of a good location and that our staffs were able to provide you with a friendly service!

I am disappointed to hear that you found parts of our hotel to be looking tired, we are currently having a great deal of refurbishment at the hotel and I am pleased to say that we should be looking back to our normal selves in no time.

Thank you again for your review and constructive feedback, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was our second visit to Devere Theobalds Park, we complained about it last time and were given free nights b&b by the management which we took last night 14th June 2014. The hotel is located in park land close to the M25 and has a conference facility. There were wedding guests, birthday party guests, and football supporters at the hotel. We were put in quite a decent sized room up 6 flights of stairs in the mansion house. This was quiet, and the views nice, although decor was tired. The TV would only pick up a small number of channels, some very fuzzy others absent, and there was not enough tea and milk for more than 1 cup each. There were groups of loud teenage boys, and smokers, drinkers, and families around. Breakfast was a farce, we had to wait for a table to become available, no fruit juice, and not much table service. Outside they have some parasol tables and old metal sea container or two and a portaloo

Room Tip: Try a different hotel unless you like 6 flights of stairs up the rooms where there are people nearby...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edevalera

Dear Edevalera

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay here with us at Theobalds park.

I am disappointed to hear that your second stay with us wasn't satisfactory and that your faith wasn't restored upon return with us.

I apologise that the groups in house that evening weren't to your liking but unfortunately we do cater for all kinds of business and welcome all of our guests with welcome arms. That weekend was the first England football match and we did get in the spirit of celebrating this in the bar area!

I apologise that you didn’t enjoy the location of your bedroom, however it does confuse me to the six flights of stairs you had to tackle as your room was in the 200 corridor, which is only up one flight of stairs. We did however allocate your bedroom as you requested as far away from the bar as possible.

Thank you again for your review and I apologise again for the disappointed you experienced whilst staying with us again.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

After a recommendation from my partner, I stayed here for 1 night on 10 May 2014, choosing the 'wine down' offer.

Location: Stunning hotel set inside beautiful grounds with ample car parking.

Check in: I arrived earlier than planned, before the check in time and was pleasantly surprised that they offer a range of free tea and coffee whilst I waited for my room to be made up. It didn't take long at all, staff were helpful.

Room: Bearing in mind I arrived early and the housekeeping must have had to be extra quick to make the room up as I was waiting, the room looked almost new! Great storage facilities, few perks such as iron & board (which nowadays I find myself having to request this elsewhere), bathroom was spotless, lovely room, stock of extra pillows. The only thing I needed which wasn't in the room was a pen & paper! Typically, I never use them in other hotelswhen they're in the rooms but this time I did!

Dinner: Loved this. We arranged an early dinner as we had plans in the evening. From start to finish, it felt like we were in a formal restaurant - forgetting we only walked down the corridor to this place. The staff were amazing, kept you informed on when courses were arriving, kept you stocked up bread rolls and we even had a chat to the Polish staff member about Eurovision which made our night! The food was really well presented, tasted great. We honestly couldn't believe the offer we got! We had to dash so asked for wine and dessert to be sent to the room - I don't think any request would have phased the staff here, they were awesome! Very impressed!

Breakfast: A nice variety of different dishes to cater for everyone. Cereals, cold meats, toasts, pasteries and a good English fry up! You served yourself which I prefer at breakfast as I'm not such a big eater in the mornings. But you could go up as many times as you want. Food was to a high standard. Like dinner, we couldn't believe the value for money we got with this offer.

Check out: As we weren't going to sleep until late, we pre-purchased a late check out which gave us until 1:30pm (I think) ... compared to the standard 10:30am check out for a £10 fee. Check out was quick and friendly.

To make it even better: Notepad and pen in the rooms, possibly additional wireless routers in the far corners of the hotel (room 728 is at the end and wireless signal in there was very slow) - loved the fact it was free wifi though! Also, the ability to charge items to your room without 'pre-registering' a credit card with reception would have helped out on a few occasions (steak supplment in restaurant & drinks at the bar).

Overall: If you're planning on eating, then definitely get the 'wine down' offer - it's great value for money. I would definitely come back here again. Staff across the whole board exceeded expectations - from the housekeeping staff, to the receptionists and restaurant staff.

1  Thank KSW7
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear KSW7,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay on one of our wine and dine offers here at Theobalds Park.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our Dinner bed and breakfast offer and that your whole stay was a pleasant experience from start to finish.
I have passed on your comments to all of the team as feedback is something we thrive from here at Theobalds Park.

Thank you again for your kind review and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My grand son was married in Mexico, they came home had a separate reception for those of us who couldn't travel.
The venue was excellent, the complex was made up of a rectangle yard with rooms from converted stables, these rooms formed a closed in square giving a feel of privacy and security, the rooms were comfortable and very clean, the booking in process was easy and trouble free, beware of the dreaded Satnav sometimes it takes you to the rear of the grounds but there's a button to press which opens the gates, there is plenty of parking around the grounds, the grounds are beautifully set, lookout for the tree house.
Breakfast was excellent and plentiful, there was a large party of people so a slight delay getting into the restaurant but not too bad.
In all a beatiful setting for a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: I can't say about the main hotel as I didn't stay in it, but if it's as good as the func...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Harry D

Thank you for your review regarding your grandson’s recent wedding reception here with us at Theobalds Park.

We are delighted to hear that you had such a great time and we are equally as pleased that we could be apart of such a lovely occasion.

Thank you again for a wonderful review and I have passed on your comments to all of our team.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in the old mansion house park of the complex which retained much of its character. Some parts perhaps look a little tired but it’s lovely that you still get to see the mosaic floors, for example. The reception area was very modern and well lit. I didn’t see the other newer areas of the complex but I assume they are too. We had a really nice walk around the grounds in the evening before going to the hotel restaurant. My dessert was delicious! We stayed for two nights and both mornings breakfast was fantastic. The variety available was huge and the food was of a very high quality. The service we received was very high.

Our room was on one of the top floors and I think this may have affected the shower pressure, but that’s all I could I say that was negative about it. The room itself was big and spacious and very clean. It had plenty of facilities. There was a huge mirror and it would have been handy to have a power point near it for drying and straightening hair but everything else was well laid out.

The carparks were of a decent size and well lit. I followed my satnav to get to the hotel which did bring me to a private gate to the park instead of the main hotel gates, so it’s worth looking at the directions the hotel provide to check you go to the correct gate.

Dear Suffolk_1981

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us here at Theobalds Park. It is a pleasure to read such a lovely review regarding your stay and I have passed your comments on to all of the team.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Room was comfortable, very quiet, nicely decorated and had everything you needed. Grounds are beautiful and contribute to a peaceful and relaxing setting. Breakfast was good and only £8.50 for full breakfast (if you're not on B&B). The staff here are so helpful, they are a real credit. The housekeeper on our floor packaged up fresh towels and tea/coffee when we said we didn't need our room servicing; the breakfast waitress lent us an umbrella so we didn't get wet at the wedding we were going to - neither of these things were requested, just done off their own backs. Superb customer service!! Would definitely be my hotel of choice when staying in this area (having previously stayed at the Royal Chace which we thought was poor - tiny room, tiny bed, even smaller bathroom and very expensive).

Dear Hadhadley,

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

It is a pleasure to read that you had such a great time with us and that our customer service went above and beyond for you! Our grounds are currently looking beautiful in this lovely weather and I’m glad you got to enjoy them during your stay.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I visited this hotel for a special occasion with my boyfriend and i must give a special mention to Jody who helped to make our weekend extra special. What fantastic and professional service! I was extremely worried after reading some of the other reviews but my advice is IGNORE them!! The hotel grounds are gorgeous, staff are fab and the restaurant was great - really yummy food! Rooms were clean and nicely presented too. This is an old period building with lots of character which we found to be charming! I have already booked to stay again in a bigger group next month and can't wait! Thanks again Jody!! xx

Dear Brit 2686,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am delighted to read that you had such a pleasant stay here with us and that you will be returning to us shortly!
Jody is a new member of our team on front of house and It is a pleasure to read such a lovely review about her level of service and helpfulness showing how she is a credit to our team.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future and hope you have a wonderful stay and if not better!

The Theobalds Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!