“Weekend away”

De Vere Theobalds Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend away, close enough to london to commute from main line station ( Thobalds Grove) Got a great deal on De Vere website two nights B & B for £ 108:00 We had evening meal on the first night, food was excellent but a bit limited menu although we really enjoyed what we had. Wine a bit expensive starting at £21bottle. Spent the Saturday in London then got the train back at 10;30 from Liverpool street, please be careful as which train to get as one does not pass theobalds Grove but goes straight to Cheshunt. All in alll a good clean hotel with very friendly & helpful staff.

Room Tip: We were in the main building on Floor 2
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Derek W
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Derek W,

Thank you for your great review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park!

It was a pleasure to read that you had such a great stay with us and were able to take full advantage of our easy transport links into London.

It is always a pleasure to read when our staff have been friendly and helpful to our guests, I will pass your comments on to our management team!

With kind regards

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just returned from a one night stay and we were disappointed. We usually stay at Premier Inns but opted for this hotel as it was a good price and because of the De Vere reputation. We went to checkin at 2.35 pm to be advised our room was not yet ready so went to the bar for lunch. Asked what we could do withour luggage and was directed to a guest luggage room,not locked and easily accessible to anyone. Went to the bar and ordered a light lunch which took almost 30 mins to arrive, we did chase a couple of times. The staff did give us a complementary drink because of the delay. Our friends joined us a bit later and ordered sandwiches which again had to be chased. Our room was inThe Mansion House, a rabbit warren of corridors to get there. The room was very hot despite the windows being opened and a fan on. The room was adequate but lacked drawer space, and the TV was not in a good position to be viewed. Bathroom was clean but lacked toiletries, and there were only 3 tissues in the box.breakfast was very chaotic, tables not cleared quickly enough, and staff took a long time to bring tea and coffee. The hotel lacks a lounge area and there is just a small bar area. It appears to be used mainly as a conference venue and wedding venue, all the rooms on the ground floor inThe Mansion House are conference/syndicate rooms -one could be turned into a lounge. Don't think we will return to this hotel, basically we were really disappointed with the staff, service and hotel in general.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank captainsfolly
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Captainsfolly,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us here at Theobald’s Park.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and taking the time to highlight the relevant areas of concern to us.
I am sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing stay with us. Customer service and satisfaction is something we pride ourselves on and I am sorry that on this occasion we have fallen short of the mark.
I have passed on all of your comments regarding service to our food and beverage time whom are now looking in to the waiting time regarding your food to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.

Regarding the temperature of your room I apologise that this was uncomfortable for you, unfortunately with the lovely hot weather we have been experiencing it seems to of taken its toll on our bedrooms. We apologose for the disappointment regarding the toiletitries in your bedroom and I hjave also passed this on to our housekepping manager to ensure each bedroomed is fully stocked moving forward.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the mansion house being turned in to a lounge but fortunately we are apart of De Vere Venues and therefore focus on training and conference space.

I would like to thank you again for your response and feedback.

Kind regards the Theobalds Team

Reviewed 30 July 2014

guests were given a reduced rate on a 2 night stay for the wedding but were no doubt given the smallest rooms. The room was very dark, very hot and just nowhere to put anything. The room we had really should have been for 1 person on a 1 night stay and not equiped for 2 adults for 2 nights with all that we needed to attend a wedding. Getting ready was a nightmare and with 1 plug socket for everything was just a pain. They really need to get a lot of things right here and the overall appearence of the rooms, the carpets and the entrance are just shabby. Weddings seam to be their big thing but there is so much more they could do to improve the overall apperance of the bedroom side of the business to allow for the comfort of the wedding guests. The breakfast however was very good as was the wedding meal. If you are looking to have your wedding here dont just look at the main rooms. take a good look around other rooms that really are going to be part of your big day. Terrific setting for photos ad great outside space for summer evenings. Needs some overall TLC.

Room Tip: There are no lifs in the manor house and there are stairs that go on forever. If booking ask about s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Monomet,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay here with us at Theobalds Park. Firstly I would like tot hank you for your feedback and glad to hear that you enjoyed the wedding that you attended here.

I am how ever disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your bedroom during your stay and found it to be to small and uncomfortable to get ready in for the big day. Unfortunately we don’t have a lift in the mansion house due to it being a beautiful listed building, therefore we would never be granted permission for a lift.
Ground floor rooms are available in the new end of the hotel but as you were apart of a specific group we thought you might want to be closer to your family and friends whom were also attending the wedding taking place in the mansion house.

Thank you again for your review and thank you for your kind words regarding our lovely outdoor space and grounds.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel several times.
The interior is stunning
A little pricey but they alway have special offers deals on other websites.
The outside grounds are lovely.
Staff at reception is always friendly not sure about the maids/cleaners as you get the odd few that ignore you in the corridor.
Me and my husband absolutely love De Vere hotels and always choice a De Vere hotel as first choice
I would recommend this hotel
Don't really have any bad words
There is a retail park pretty close for those who like to shop.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ug0513

Thank you for your review regarding your stay here with us! It was an absolute joy to read and I have passed all of your lovely comments onto our management team here at Theobalds.
I am delighted to hear that our reception team provided you with some great customer service and that you enjoyed the location of your bedroom.
We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The grounds, exterior, foyer does looks like a 4 star hotel but this was not the case once I got into my room. The man checking me in need to understand not all Chinese looking people are tourist, some might even be British so there really was no need for him to mime "sign here" and "driving a car" at me. It was a really hot day and I was surprised they had no AC or fan in the room, the only way to cool the room was to open the window but this also let in the flies. The bathroom was adequate but small. The room was mostly clean except for the spider web and spider next to the bed. The wifi was terrible, this might have been because I was in the room at the very end but I kept losing connection, I had to revert to using my mobile connection in the end. I wanted to fill out the card in the room for Paul the manager but they didnt leave a pen in the room so couldnt. I cant comment on the restaurant as I didnt have dinner at the hotel. It is a quiet and relaxing setting but they need to improve the room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Wyatt20uk,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay here with us at Theobalds Park.
I am highly disappointed to hear that you had such a unsatisfying stay here with us. I have passed all of your comments on to the management team and they are currently investigating in to the Wifi issues that you have brought to our attention.

I apologise that there was no fan in your bedroom for you to help keep the temperature down during this lovely weather we are experiencing in England at the moment. Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in our bedrooms as this is not to our brand standard.

I apologize that you took offence to a member of the front of house team when explaining where things were in the hotel. I can reassure you that the presumption of you being a tourist due to your ethnicity was not the reason for this at all, and just a case of our team being helpful and expressive with his communication.

I have passed all of your comments on to Paul our General manager and he is aware of all pf the points you have raised.

I thank you again for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was listed as a 4 star hotel however I would say is was a 3.5. We did however just require 1 night for sleep only between events we attended in Broxbourne in the evenings and we got a good rate. The bed was small for 2 people, the bathroom floor flooded after a shower and the room was very hot (the fan in the room helped a little but the window didn't open very much) - other than that the room was nice and clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. We were going to get a taxi to Theobalds station to get to Broxbourne by train but ended up getting a taxi all the way which wasn't too expensive. The grounds were beautiful - we saw a baby deer!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lizzi86,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us here at Theobalds.

I am delighted to hear that you found our grounds to be so beautiful and staff friendly during your stay. Our grounds are something we treasure here in the summer months as they make for good walks and wonders around the hotel.

I am sorry to hear you found your bed to small and that you had problems with your shower whilst staying with us. Moving forward I can confirm that we are currently having all of our bed stock replaced to ensure a more comfortable nights sleep for our guests.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

The Theobalds Park Team

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were pleasantly surprised on both location and look of this country hotel.
Well appointed modern room with good shower, large bed ,safe, iron board, and free wifi
Good value for money with codes online to help get the price down.
5mins off m25 junction 25 towards cheshunt.
We did have a noisy neighbouring room but hotel manager was sympathetic and gave us a discount which seemed fair

Room Tip: Online offers and codes if you look for them. Ie THANKS Gave us 20% off. Try it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 4kinloaded,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed our hotel so much and that you were so happy with your stay.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

With kind regards

The Theobalds Park Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Travelodge Cheshunt
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!