“Hits the spot!”

Dining options: Reservations
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Hits the spot!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Did not stay at the Hotel (which looks lovely) but was visiting Helmsley and decided to try the Verbena Spa on a whim. My sister and I were made very welcome, enthusiastically shown around, and helpfully fitted in for treatments later the same day. Staff were really friendly, and the place is impeccable - the massages we enjoyed were the best we've ever had in the UK. This is everything a Spa should be - a little expensive perhaps, but good value for the all-round quality. A short visit, but we were so impressed we are going to go back for a full day very soon.

Visited July 2014

Fleetwood, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over priced, poor service”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were in Helmsley for an event at the Castle and saw the 'pop up restaurant by the pool' banner outside the hotel. When we asked at the bar if this was still open and serving food the first member of staff said no however her colleague said yes, turn down the corridor and you will see it. We followed the direction but couldn't see the entrance. We ask another member of staff who took us out 'poolside', showed us to a table and said he would find someone to give us a menu. A waitress appeared but said nothing as she cleared tables, twice returning but still no acknowledgement of our existence. 20 minutes later just when we were about to give up she appeared with two menus but no apology, took the order, wine arrived, food had to be cooked by a chef from the kitchen at the 'poolside' kitchen. Except the fish part of the order was cooking in the main kitchen so the 'poolside' chef had to go to the main kitchen to check if it was ready to coincide with the chicken dish 'poolside' which it eventually was. Both arrived under seasoned (no salt and pepper available and no one to ask), poor quality, poor service and a hefty bill. DO NOT TRY IT!!

• Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful place but very overpriced ”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My fiancé arranged this trip for me for a birthday treat, little did I know he was going to propose. The hotel/ spa is beautiful and the staff were happy to help. My fiancé rang before our trip to inform staff of what he was going to do, the staff were very helpful on the phone to him and said they could arrange different things. We had champagne, chocolate and a bouquet of flowers on arrival. We were booked in for an evening meal but this was all a little too posh for me so we went elsewhere. On departure we received the bill, unfortunately we had been charged for the flowers, chocolate and champagne on arrival. My fiancé was not informed of this when he rang and he thought this was a nice little touch the hotel had made as he was going to propose. There was also a wine package on the bill at a cost of £85 that we did not go on or book. This was a small mistake but still this could of gone unnoticed and we could of ended up paying for this. I also left my watch in the hotel and realised when I got home. I rang the hotel and I had to pay for the postage to send back home, this is fair enough but we had spent £450 in one night I thought such a small price may have been paid for by the hotel. Overall this is a lovely hotel but very over priced.

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“June sleep, stay and spa offer”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I surprised my partner with this as a birthday gift, a big treat for us both and we were not disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful. the outdoor heated pool in the sunshine was great and made us feel like we were on holiday.

In the spa we both had a 30 minute back massage in the twin room, it wasn't the best massage either of us have had and I think my partner found his painful but the outdoor Jacuzzi after was lovely and hot and we did enjoy ourselves!

Although expensive, it was worth it. I would recommend a stay here and wish we could have stayed longer. The restaurant was out of our budget and it seems many restaurants are closed on a Monday in Helmsley but we took a drive and enjoyed a meal at the White Swan. A small thing but there was no fridge in the room and when I requested an ice bucket I was informed this would be £10 which seemed rather excessive!

Visited July 2014
York
“One of the best”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We went for the tasting menus it was stunning well worth a visit a bit pricey but worth every penny. A special mention should be made of the waiter from Hungary he was great describing every course making it truly entertaining!
When it came to cheese he rolled out a trolley with about 20 different cheese on he know everyone describing in detain texture and flavour
The most outstanding thing was the imaginative colourful quality food I'm told the head chef has a programme on BBC1 I don't know.
The experience was outstanding!!

• Visited June 2014