“Modern chic”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Surrey
“Modern chic”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a great place to stay if you like a modern feel to a traditional building. The layout makes the most of the space as they have managing to fit in a spa, outdoor swimming pool with hot tub and even an underground car park. Our room, even though it was one of their cheapest, was spacious with a good bathroom and view over the pool. It even had a Bang and Oluffson TV!
We didn't have dinner in the hotel but breakfast was excellent. We also liked the idea of contemporary art on the walls which was for sale. Helmsley is a lovely place, typically Yorkshire with lots of lovelly individual shops and cafes. Harome, down the road, has a couple of excellent places to eat in The Pheasant Hotel an The Star Inn. Overall a really good place to stay on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors.

Room Tip: Even our basic room was spacious and well kitted
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

There are a few things that are excellent about this hotel. Food is outstanding, so well presented, tasty, and just right portions. Service in the restaurant and elsewhere is also excellent. The hotel look and feel also scores well, nice vibe. Where it falls down are the bedrooms and spa area. The bedroom for me was the biggest disappointment. Paying £280 per night for a double room I expected something seriously special, whereas to be honest, rooms are very ordinary, with bathrooms poor. Seriously a shower in the bath for a £200+ room? Having stayed in lots of top end hotels where this positions itself, this ( in this aspect) comes nowhere near. The spa treatments were good, but the relax area just wasn't that at all, and could be better. We enjoyed our weekend, but is it worth the money, NO, would we come again, probably not having tried it. There are much nicer hotels for this money out there

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Richard F
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Hotel clean. Bedsheets crisp. Bed very comfy. The staff in all areas of the hotel were lovely, very attentive, and couldn't do enough for you. We had Sunday lunch in the restaurant which was very nice and the breakfasts the next morning were great portions (we had full english)! We received a complimentary room upgrade to a suite which was beautiful (room 35) although I have given feedback about the shower as it splashed out of the cubicle a lot making the floor slippy and the towels were then soaked. The massages were nice, toughest ones i have had yet despite saying i liked my massages relaxing, but still good. The spa however was disappointing. Needs redecorating and looks like it needs a good clean. Very small. Personally I would stay here again, it was worth the money, but if you are looking to come just for the spa then you may be disappointed. Overall we had a lovely one night stay for a wedding gift/birthday treat and would return. We booked the sleep, stay and spa package but would probably just book a room next time. Helmsley itself is a nice little village with a few shops to mooch in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissLMB
york
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have only ever used the spa at this hotel as a day visitor but I have always found it to be excellent value for money and a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The decoration within the spa area is very relaxing and the candles add to the peaceful atmosphere, as do the lovely comfy big armchairs and sofas which you are allowed to sit on in your robes whether or not you have been in the pool and hot tub. No rules=a refreshing change! The staff are very smiley and extremely pleasant and cannot do enough for their visitors, but not in an overbearing way. The day we were there we were lucky as it was very quiet so we didn't actually have to "share" the heat experience with anyone else at the same time although there were other guests there within the spa area. It is immaculately clean and well laid out with the sauna, thermal room, steam room, rainforest shower and foot spa all within one area. The hot tub was heated to a comfortable 38 degrees and is tucked away just outside and shielded from the main outdoor seating area. The pool was pleasant enough to swim in although it was only about 9 degrees that day in the atmosphere so it was a case of keep the shoulders under the water to keep warm! But there is something great about swimming in the great outdoors in the winter! And of course running back to the hot tub to warm up feels so refreshing. Overall, this is probably one of the best spas I have visited and at only £25 for a visit as long as the individual wishes it to be, it is exceptionally good value too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nettynoos
Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed at the feversham and took advantage of the autumn food lovers package. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by very friendly staff, who kindly moved our car for us and took our bags to the room, as it wasn't ready yet. We had afternoon tea included, which comprised of 4 scones with jam and cream and a tea. Not great value for £20, no garnish and no attention to detail with presentation and appeared thrown on the plate. The scones were warm which was nice though.

Our room was an executive double, nice original features, comfy bed, but not very sound proof, we got woken by slamming doors several times throughout the night. No wifi available in the room either.

The spa was basic, with three heat rooms, a cold shower, an outdoor hot tub which was lovely. The outdoor heated pool was cold, we braved one lap then ran back to the hot tub to hear back up.

For dinner we had the chefs tasting 5 course tasting menu, priced at £110 for two people, expectations were understandably high.
The soup was ok, the terrine had bones in it,which we were told is caused by the bullet wound that killed the partridge, obviously slightly off putting to say the least. The ravioli was very rich but nice, the venison was the best course, nice flavours and well cooked.
We opted to have the cheese board for an extra £12.50pp. The selection of cheeses were vast and worth a try. You could easily share one. We were diss appointed with the pudding, small and bland.

Overall the evening meal not worth the money, I would of said we would of been willing to pay around £30 each for what we had as the ingredients were cheap I.e game, artichoke, apples, crab etc. and no wow factor.

Special mention must go to the waiter during dinner, he made our night, a complete breath of fresh air in what could be described as an intense, quiet and stuffy atmosphere, where we felt the need to whisper. We didn't catch his name, however he looked just like Alan Carr and is the hotels chatty man. A credit to the hotel.

The drinks are expensive. £7.50 for a small wine, £4.20 for their only available draught lager.

Overall after a £340 not worth the money and we won't be revisiting as we believe that there are much better deals to be had within the area, which are better value for money.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Rocco522
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My parents kindly treated my husband and I to a night away as it was his 40th birthday.

So, good points first...food was good, and if you get a waiter called Tom you're really lucky, he should be running the hotel!
The bed was comfortable and the ladies in the spa were very professional and friendly.
Beautiful village and church with some lovely little gift shops.

My main upset about the stay was the way certain members of staff were high handed which I have never experienced in the 30 years I have gone to restaurants or hotels, I was brought up to believe you should treat others the way you would like to be treated.

We upgraded our room which was quiet small, tired chairs and shower.....not very comfortable (Room 26, which I was told was one of the rooms that had been updated most recently), certain facilities didn't work in the room which we advised the hotel who were quick to come upstairs but we're not rectified nor was an alternative offered.

The spa has a lounge/relaxing area and if anyone visits the spa I'm sure they'd agree the sofas are discoloured and worn.

Breakfast was poor, wasn't what we had ordered and although butter and preserves we delivered, there was no toast, and the paper we'd asked for was not delivered either.

If you feel I'm being picky at this point, I'm really sorry, but we have 3 daughter under the age of 5 and we had not left them overnight before and with it being a special occasion we were so looking forward to this one evening.

When we checked out of the hotel we weren't asked how our stay had been and there were no feedback forms provided. We were going to mention to the lady who was trying to sort out our bill but another lady appeared from behind reception and again, was high handed and unapproachable.

We did venture into the village but were so disappointed by the manor taken, we just wanted to leave.

When we collected our car, there was salt that had dripped onto the car from the car park ceiling which had stuck to the window. If you do stay at the hotel make sure you scrape the white mark off ASAP or you will need to have your car sprayed. We only know about this problem with car parks due to a work car needing to be resprayed a few years ago and we thought it was just 'a bird having done it's business'

I have emailed the hotel but haven't had a response.

Sadly you can only survive on a good reputation for so long though........

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemma R
Feversham A, General Manager at Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear Mrs Rodgerson, I would like to apologies if your stay wasn’t perfect and I am replying to you via this public forum as your email reached me at the same time as the above post.
I am sorry if you had an issue with the breakfast and the newspaper delivery as well as the salt on the car window. I would also like to mention that room 26 is a deluxe suite of circa 400 square feet and was build 5 years ago, but I would also like to assure you that the maintenance issues raised, were addressed the next day, after your departure as we were not able to remedy in the evening without disturbing you.
I am however surprised and sorry to hear your comments about some staff being high handed, this is our core strength and we are known for our friendliness and our welcome. I was actually glad to note that you complemented some of us: Tom and the Spa therapist... But if you could share some specific example with me, I would be more than happy to investigate, take the necessary actions and come back to you.
Kind regards,
Charles Merchie
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our stay would not of been acceptable at £100 a night hotel, but for a stay that cost over £900 for two nights (cheapest room) it was appalling from the very moment we stepped inside the hotel.

Our issues:

Upon arrival I was 'pre' charged more that the full amount of the room (£710) on my credit card. I know that you don't actually take the money but I can't use it so it's tantamount to the same thing.
When questioning this practice I was given some spurious justification by the porter (?, no name badge; rayban glasses) who, when I disagreed with him told me to stop talking and listen. Clearly he missed the point the I understood; I was just annoyed. His attitude is unacceptable.

Room 27 is worn and dirty but I couldn't bear asking for another given the welcome we had been given. The attached gives you and indication.

I woke at 6:53am on Saturday morning (following a wedding) by hovering and talking in reception - one floor down and one room over?

On arriving for breakfast at 9:30am, there were no clean tables despite only a handful of people taking breakfast and we were asked to wait in the bar for a table.
By the time we got in the staff were well on their way for the 10am shut down despite there being 20 minutes of service left. My wife's order of haddock and poached egg came as salmon and scrambled egg. This was returned and it was fifteen minutes before it returned and only after we chased it. In the interim we were treated to the poor waiter being dressed down by the chef about handwriting a few yards away from where we were sat - we were shocked but the later that day I discovered why you think that's acceptable, because that's how you talk to you customers! My breakfast was cold by the time my wife's arrived but frankly I couldn't bear to wait any more so had it cold.

We had some afternoon drinks in the bar and were treated to the bar manager (?, no name badge; pink shirt - looks like Hugo from Vicker of Dibley) constantly barking at staff telling them where to put customers and how to get them 'straight in and straight out'. Clearly he trained the Chef?

We had booked for dinner at 7pm that evening but moved it two 8pm however nobody bothered to tell the restaurant. Before dinner, I asked for a dry martini with Miller's gin. The waitress clearly didn't have a clue and when I saw her I reaching for tumbler I intervened. The bar manager sprang into action and duly brought me and gin martini, but not with Miller's gin (I'm guessing it was Bombay).

Now we get to my biggest issue: The bar manager, saw fit to advise his young charge, despite the fact that I was at a table next to the bar. 'It's his own fault. He should have said he wanted a martini cocktail rather dry martini, he doesn't know what he's ordering.' I'm afraid I felt compelled to tell him that dry refers to the amount of vermouth mixed with the gin, I what else could a dry gin martini be? I was livid but said nothing as I was trying to have a relaxing meal with my wife but it was only her that stopped packing and going home then.

Finally, this ice machine doesn't work in the spa, the steps are broken to the hot tub and there were no towels in the male changing rooms throughout the weekend.

There were some positive points and it's only fair tell you these, however this is what should be expected in any event:

Tom in the bar in the afternoon was very knowledgeable and excellent - he should be running the bar?
Tom and Rosie were very good in the restaurant.
The spa treatments were great.
The Sommelier was charming and knowledgeable.
The receptionist with glasses was very helpful.

The manager has written to me to say the cleanliness and pre-charging more than the cost of the room is acceptable. Also the the noise is because the building is old. However, he did offer a discount on a future stay. We will not be taking advantage of that!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chris L
Dear Mr Lee, I would like to reiterate the apologies already made to you in writing over a month ago and I am sorry for the state of the toilet and the back of the bath door, both new items in the above post that you now bring to my attention, however they had already been addressed after your departure and are an exception to the norm.
All other issues you raised had been noted and actions have been taken where appropriate, with the exception of the pre-authorisation which is not a charge, only an assurance from your credit card provider to honour the payment for the credit that we extend to you.
I am sorry you will not visit us and that you felt the need to publish it again.
Kind regards
Charles Merchie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#3 of 20 in Whitby
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,964 reviews

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!