“Second Stay. Would Return Again!”

Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Myself and my boyfriend have stayed at the hotel twice now and both times have been wonderful. During our most recent trip we stayed for two nights. I can't fault the level of service provided in the hotel. The spa is excellent, such a relaxing place to spend an afternoon. We ate in the hotel on one of the nights and the food was absolutely superb, as it was on our first stay. For those reviewers who have complained about the portion sizes, they have clearly missed the point.....the head chef is serving high end, quality, Michelin style food. The service in the restaurant is thorough, yet understated. The breakfasts are also excellent. My only slight complaint is that tables at breakfast should be cleared more promptly for the benefit of guests who arrive in the dining room later. I would go back to this hotel again and again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a one night stay in between Christmas and New Year and found the hotel to be extremely welcoming and festive.The level of service was good without being over the top. The food and ambience in the restaurant was excellent .The meals were extremely well presented and full of flavour. Our room over looked the church - we had a separate seating area with a balcony which would be lovely in the summer. The room was clean and tidy but a small fridge would be good for fresh milk if nothing else. The Spa was used and the treatment good - it was not busy and despite being small ( sauna could seat 5 max) it was well laid out. The outdoor pool was exhilarating once you got in - again very quiet, so like a private pool with candle light when it got dark. Helmsley was as good as we remembered - small shops/galleries and a couple of pubs - it was busy and atmospheric. For breakfast there was an excellent choice - we arrived relatively late ( just before 10) and the service was not outstanding but satisfactory. Overall a fantastic stay and would be coming back at some point.

Room Tip: Room 31 looked to be the only one that overlooks the front/church. Standard rooms overlook the side...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I went there for a pre-Christmas treat with a female friend. We spent the afternoon in the Spa, and had a lovely treatment (facial & massage) there too. We had been upgraded to a junior suite, which was wonderful, especially the little decorated, lit Christmas tree in the lounge part of our room!
It was lovely to sit in front of a real fire in the lounge bar, with pre-dinner drinks.We had the 5 course tasting menu in the evening; as a vegetarian I was very impressed witht the beautifully presented, imaginative food I was given. (My friend, a meat-eater, was also suitably impressed with her meal too!) We slept well and enjoyed breakfast the next morning. Helmsley is a great little market town with some excellent shops.
Just a couple of small gripes - the receptionist who greeted us on arrival had very poor English and did not seem to understand us, nor have any idea of the package we had booked! Also, the outside hot tub in the Spa, is very difficult to get in and out of and was very slimy! I struggled to get out, slipped and badly bruised my leg. It needs more handrails or steps.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if the hotel isn't full!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I visited this as a works Christmas break. Very lucky indeed! Upon arrival, my colleague and I were allocated the serendipity suite - quite how remains beyond us. It was pure luxury and we still feel very lucky to have been allocated this room. What a joy.

The fire in the room was a lovely way to finish the evening after a lovely in the restaurant. Great food and small enough to have a cosy atmosphere.

I would have given 5 stars had it not been for the Spa, if i'd only visited the Spa then I would have written a complaint. The Spa itself was lovely, a little below average for a luxury hotel. The staff were more than helpful and always a pleasure to talk to. However, I have reflexology, which I have had before. The therapist clearly hadn't cut her nails and every time she massaged, her nail 'cut' into my foot. She was good, but that part was just terrible. I don't think she new what she was doing - it wasn't reflexology. It was a good foot massage, when she wasn't scratching me with my nails. If I went again I certainly wouldn't have a treatment.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was the fourth time my wife and I have stayed here so that in it self says a lot, you just know you will enjoy your stay here. The food is excellent. lovely atmosphere in the dining room and the staff are on their game, which makes a change from a lot of places these days that just seem to fill their hotels with young unprofessional people. At this hotel dogs are allowed to stay in the rooms, can't say I'm a big fan of this idea I know what my dogs roll in anything dead (birds mice) and I don't particularly like the idea of walking around bare foot in a suite where their could be all-sorts of germs dogs have brought in. We had a two night stay 1 night in a spa suite & the second night in a pool side suite. The spa suite had recently had a make over we were told and it was lovely the only thing that I think is getting a little old now is the TV system it's a B&O system, in its day fantastic. and the larger of the two tv's the smaller 1 was in the lounge and the larger in the bedroom I thought this was the wrong way around
This was the same in the pool side suite odd. The only thing I can fault with this room was the bathroom needs a little TLC the black tiling around the shower & bath needs some work. Not much to fault really great wood burner and a lovely feel to this suite and step outside to your own little patio area wonderful
You will not be disappointed with your stay here, we never are its fantastic
The staff are 5 star can't praise them enough

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My wife and I stayed just for the one night prior to new year on a room , dinner and breakfast basis . Our room , (no:-11) was a little on the small side , but was clean and did the job it was meant to do. Dinner was to die for , but it is fine dining and the portions are small but adequate . The cheese board , wow , I've never seen as many different types to choose from , it was brilliant . Drinks are pricey though . We had breakfast in our room the next morning after ticking off our choices on a card the previous evening . We chose to have it between 9 - 9.15 am and it was delivered hot and bang on time . This was also excellent .
We will return sometime in the future , as over all we did enjoy it .

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We wanted a little chill before Christmas so The Feversham Arms was booked for two nights. The hotel itself is lovely and the staff very welcoming and friendly. We had booked a standard double so we knew that it wasn't going to be very spacious but it really was so very small, we found it to be claustrophobic. I always think that hotels with spare rooms really miss a trick if they don't upgrade you in these circumstances because it would certainly have secured a return visit. We were having a look at this hotel with the view to booking for our extended family for four days next Christmas!
We did not eat an evening meal in the hotel as having viewed the menu we decided to go elsewhere. Our breakfasts were very good and the dining room is gorgeous.
Helmsley itself is a lovely little town with some nice shops, restaurants and bars. It is a pretty place and had a good Christmassy feel.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and was a bit noisy with passing traffic.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
The Grand Hotel & Spa
The Royal Oak Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 4 in Helmsley

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!