“Rip off Britain at its best”

Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Helmsley
North Yorkshire
“Rip off Britain at its best”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Harsh title? Let me know after reading my review.
Booking.. Was so confused as I originally was only going to book for 1 night in July and it was a Sunday night so I rang up and got prices for different rooms.
The cost of a standard room on the Sunday night was £160 , so I decided we would stay for2 nights , the Saturday also,.
Now the Saturday night booking had to include dinner, non negotiable. That is what I was told.
Fine , I happy to eat, in fact I was looking forward to it. It was after all a weekend away , no children...
The price was £310.. I booked it but rang later to query the massive jump from £160 to £ 310 ( £150.) for an evening meal.
I was told this it due to the pricing structure, the hotel has different rates, low med & high season.
Fine, I can understand that but it still didn't explain the massive difference.
I was then told that my price for the 2nd night should have been £230 but I'd been lucky .. Oh my those words haunted me over the weekend. Lucky..
Ok my room was advertised as a standard room and it was...
Bog standard...
My standards and the Faversham standards are worlds apart.
It was clean and the bed comfy.
It was tiny. If you opened the wardrobe door you couldn't open the bathroom door.
If I sat at the tiny dressing table my husband then had to climb over the bed or ask me to move.. Remember this 1st night we had paid £310..
It was stifling hot being upstairs and no air conditioning. Just a smallish window to open .
There was a tray with a kettle on , it was on the window ledge as there was no room for a table of any size, nor was it near a plug socket.
No fridge , no mini bar.. A complimentary bottle of water which I drank 1/2 of...good job I rationed it as it was never replace all the time I was there.. Remember we paid £310 ..And another £160 for my next night.. The lucky price one...
Anyhow we went for dinner , table booked for 8 o'clock we waited and we waited..( Remember this has cost £310) and waited and waited.. We got served starters at 9:40... After sitting for just short of 2 hours!!
My water glass was filled but never drank out of due to the dried on orange juice bits ..how was this never seen by staff.
Do you not check glasses before you lay the table?
The food looked good and had fab flavours but was just enough to fill a 8 yr old.
My sweet,Eton mess , was a joke. Little piped drops of sauce , slivers of strawberries. Not enough to make one whole strawberry. By the time I put my spoon through it, it was impossible to gather it together, there would always be more left on my plate than I could manage to get on a spoon to eat .
What pretentious nonsence..
Lots of men in blue suits milling around and getting nothing done..
I overheard the gent next to me ask his wife if they could go into Helmsley to get fish & chips.. I asked if he would bring back 2 fish suppers for us!
An uncomfortable nights sleep due to the heat ( not the hotels fault) early morning wake up due to having the window open and the church bells ring ever so early on a morning ..
Not a bad thing as it got us to breakfast early and we had the choice of a full table.. Eg milk , Orange juice etc.
sadly when things ran out nobody changed them..still the breakfast was for us good..
The Spa...how is that called a Spa?
Reading the guest book it seems some people love it so I I'd wondered if I had missed the hidden door ..but no, I think some people are very easily pleased.
Didn't go in the outdoor poor as it had gone a little cooler so with not a lot else to do at the hotel to do we went into Hemsley.
Came back after several hours, sun shining , so we stripped off to go to the pool.. And housekeeping had been in to our room and had simply tied up the used damp robes .
How horrible they were to have to put on... I had thought for the price we paid it warranted fresh robes.. Did I mention £310?
I mentioned the robes to a blue suited man ( thought it would give him a job )_and he arranged for fresh robes to be delivered.. Bit late though wasn't it ? Any how off we went to the pool.
And it was covered in flies.. I did get in and shift them away . I even had a little swim until my Husband said " oh make sure you keep your mouth shut " I gave up .. It was gross..
I had seen somebody at breakfast skimming the pool but judging by the amount of flies he hadn't been since.
There was dirty glasses left in the flower borders at the front of the hotel and a glass with a lovely fermenting slice of lemon left by the outdoor jacuzzi .On the sat night when we arrived we spotted it , and it was still there on the Monday morning when we left..
Normally when we have gone for a spa break we have made full use of the facilities the day we leave. Not this time ..We couldn't check out fast enough.
Breaks away are meant to be home from home or a special time that's better than home.
This break at the Feversham was poor, and I did feel that my hard earned money was scammed off me by the Feversham with their hype and pricing and they then delivered a weekend that was so below standard .
It's not fair and it's wrong. They offered a service and priced it accordingly. They failed to fulfil this price structure on any level.
I could have written this to the hotel, but then what?
I won't ever return, the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa has nothing to offer me and I felt ripped off as the price in no way shape or form matched what we received..
I like most people work hard for my money and places like this make me so cross .
Now do you agree with my title ?

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
19 Thank chlorakas
Feversham A, Manager at Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa and for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, and that you have opted to write this review online rather than raise any of your issues directly with the hotel team. As with most hotels, we would welcome the opportunity to rectify the situation at the time, or at least have a conversation about any problems that you experienced in the hope that we might be able to offer something to appease your discontent, however there is little can do to help when we read a review such as yours online, after the stay has concluded. Of course, we do feel that your review title is harsh, as we have a hardworking team who try their best to ensure that all guests have an enjoyable stay. The issues that you experienced did certainly not come about through any sort of malice, however, in comparison; some of your comments are very personal and therefore extremely hurtful to certain team members.

The management team at the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Staff v ery helpful on booking upgraded room for free to accomodate my mother's disability. hotel very well situated in the middle of Helmsley yet quiet. Room spotlessessly clean and thoughtfully decorated. Pool area lovely, however not always uncovered in early mornings and it took staff some minutes to get covers removed. Breakfast good although fairly dainty amount of contintental breakfast laid out, generally well replenished. We did not eat an evening meal here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amber W
Feversham A, Manager at Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

A wonderful hotel for a family stay. We received a great welcome and an amazing suite, with separate rooms for both adults and children to sleep and an additional lounge area gave everyone a bit of space (luxury).
The hotel boasts the most amazing pool area and with the added bonus of the Yorskhire sunshine, it was quite continental! Easy access to the town and some stunning walks. We will visit again, many thanks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
It is so wonderful to read this review, and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope that you visit us again soon, and that you are once again lucky with the weather!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We ate here for our friends Birthday (6 Ladies). We were 45mins early for our reservation so just popped to let reception to let them know we were early and would go for a walk around helmsley town but just to inform them we had parked our cars in their car park. They ushered us through to the pool side restaurant and said it would be fine to eat now, even though we insisted we come back at our booked time. The table was not ready at all and we would have prefered to have returned to a nicely presented table not the table in which we found ourselves. The service is VERY slow, i am not sure if this is the fact it is a very relaxed area and everything seems to take a lot longer than expected. We ordered a bottle of Fizz and two soft Drinks, this came in 3 trips, which was very frustrating and took around 15minutes! They gave us 2 different menus, which had more or less the same items on them! we ordered and the food came at and average pace. Food was Lovely, we ordered, Prawn skewers, Burgers and Tuna salads, The Burgers are Huge and well worth the money, Prawns were ok, and Tuna steak was a lot smaller than anticipated. All in all, nice surroundings, food average, service good but very slow, took about 20mins to settle the bill!

wouldn't rush back but glad to have experienced it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our “100 Days in Provence” poolside restaurant. We are pleased to read that you found the food to be “lovely”, however we are sorry to hear that you found the service to be a little slow when you dined. This is a new concept for the hotel, especially launched for this summer, and we are finding that some guests like a different pace to others; however we are always disappointed when we do not exceed guests’ expectations.

Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I met up with my lovely girlfriends for what was supposed to be a relaxing and luxurious treat as we don't often have the opportunity to get together. Unfortunately what we experienced didn't live up to expectations. The service in both the restaurant and bar was wanting, taking way longer than it should, in fact on one occasion we got so sick of waiting my friend went and brought a tray of drinks out herself!! The hotel also tried to charge us a £10 ice charge to cool down our celebratory champagne in the suite we had booked - none of us have ever come across this type of practice before.

The weekend we stayed the weather was beautiful and naturally we wanted to make the most of it, however there was no room for us to sit round the inviting looking pool and no room for us to eat lunch outside. It was nearly 6pm by the time we finally got a space.

Finally in the executive double that I was sharing there was no air conditioning so we slept in what felt like a furniss......really not what you would expect when paying these prices.

On the plus side the spa and treatments that we received were excellent, the public areas of the hotel are beautiful and the village itself is stunning.

3 Thank Annette R
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are pleased to read that you enjoyed the Verbena Spa and treatments. However, we are sorry to read that you did not feel that you experienced great service during your visit, as this is the area that the entire team hope to excel in. Your comments have been brought to the attention of the management team who are investigating the areas where we might make improvements for the future.

Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Was slightly apprehensive after reading mixed reviews. However, it was very good. My friend and myself arrived early and they parked the car, took us through to the spa and put our luggage away. We had a great spa experience lovely facilities, nice lunch and then a lovely evening meal. Room was a little small but adequate and cleAn. Visited Helmsley the next day, beautiful town with plenty of shops to wander round. All in all a lovely trip :-)

Room Tip: We had a street view room. The rooms round the pool were gorgeous but you get what you pay for ;-)
2 Thank holsarefun
Thank you for this lovey review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to write your wonderful comments on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you again soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the Feversham Arms Hotel recently for a mid week mini break (Tues-Wed) which lived up to our expectations. Despite being expensive (there were no junior suites available so we had to go for a deluxe suite) it was worth the extra for a special occasion. The pool and spa are much more extensive than we expected so are really a must if you want to get the most from your stay. Even at 5pm in North Yorkshire the pool was warm enough to swim in.

Dinner menu was a innovative and delicious modern take on classic cuisine. The staff are very attentive and polite. The only downside was that they struggled to chill our white wine in time and the panna cotta desert was [ironically] too cold :-)

We would definitely recommend this hotel and wonderful location, in the historic town of Helmsley, to anyone.

Room Tip: if you can afford it the deluxe suites at the top of the hotel are extensive and quiet, but still lo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mcmjones
This is a fantastic review, thank you! We are especially delighted with your comments about our dinner menu, we have recently welcomed our new Head Chef to the team and we are excited for what he will bring to the hotel!

All at the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 5 in Helmsley
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!