“Slightly disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Helmsley
Toronto, Canada
“Slightly disappointing”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I chose this hotel as a stopping point on a whirlwind tour of England - we were hoping to relax and enjoy the spa, especially.
It was a bit annoying, therefore, to be greeted at reception by someone who obviously didn't know how to check guests in. I was told to "wait a second, I'm on the phone right now", and had to sit and wait a good 5 minutes to be greeted. In that time, another couple came in, also wanting to be checked in. He was the only employee behind the desk, and it appeared he had little experience in what to do next. Oddly, he decided that giving us a tour of the hotel was a sensible idea, so left the other couple behind to twiddle their thumbs, I suppose.
Our room was fine, not too special. If I'd realised, I would have booked one of the cute little cottages near the pool. I'd try one of those next time.
The pool was apparently heated to 30 degrees and we gave it a try that evening. It was very nice, clean and well maintained.
We ate in the restaurant that evening, and the food was nice, but not outstanding as I've read in other reviews.
Breakfast was also in the hotel, again, nice but not breathtakingly fabulous.

Room Tip: Choose one of the private cottages around the pool - they look very charming.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wendyi638
Feversham A, Manager at Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are sorry that you had to wait to be checked in to your room, but we do feel that the short tour of the hotel on arrival is an extra-special touch that we offer in order to make guests feel at home from the moment they arrive. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy the pool as it is certainly one of the favourite features of the hotel!

All the team at the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My friends and I booked a weekend get away. The room we stayed I was small, very hot and substandard bathroom-certainly not value for money. The service we received was overall extremely poor- we waited 45 mins to just get bread. Multiple orders were incorrect. The food and setting were excellent but total let down overall.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Jillnassar
We are terribly sorry to read this review and we would welcome the opportunity to speak to you about your stay in more detail. If you have not done so already, please do contact the hotel by calling 01439 770766.

The management team at the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked a 2 night break for my husbands 50th birthday. The hotel is simply lovely and is located in the lovely town of Helmsley. The pool area is simply gorgeous and very relaxing. The restaurant and food is fantastic and all the staff are very helpful and very professional. This has to be one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a room around the pool area.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
This review is fantastic, thank you! We do hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I selected this hotel as it was the nearest to a concert I was attending;( part of the Ryedale festival). What a lovely choice; the hotel is bright, clean and extremely comfortable. The product in the bathroom was up-market, as were the premium teas in the room...a fantastic selection of herbal and fragrant teas. The bed-linen was quality, as were the towels.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted as soon as I stepped out of my car; my car was carefully parked for me; minimum fuss checking in, and help with bags to my room.
I had not booked a spa treatment, but when I saw the facility, I decided I would really like to sample the spa. It was all very pleasing.

I had a lovely stay; I would have liked to have stayed longer; I would certainly go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for this wonderful review! It is lovely to read such fantastic comments, the whole team will be delighted to read your thoughts! We will hopefully see you again soon so that you can enjoy the Verbena Spa during your stay.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a nights stay at the Feversham Arms and I was very impressed. Myself and my boyfriend went on my 30th birthday and in our room was a card and a box of chocolates which i thought was a nice touch. We had also been upgraded and the room was amazing (room2). There was a seperate living area and bedroom with a door that opened onto a walkway with stairs straigh to the poolside. It was very clean and spacious.
We had dinner included and although the service was great, the food was not to my taste but everything was explained perfectly and the waiter very helpful. The only downside was that we were sat in the middle of the restaurant and hardly anyone was talking to each other as it was so quiet. Maybe a little music in the background would help that as felt concious of talking. I peraonally wouldnt have the evening meal again and would maybe walk into Helmsley itself for some good old homemade pub grub. Again that is just my preference.
The spa itself was just what i expected and couldnt fault it. The staff were really helpful and managed to fit us in for a last minute massage.
Overall it was fab and i will definately be returning.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lozzawh
Thank you for visiting us for your birthday celebrations, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel is in Helmsley, which is a lovely little place for a wander. Parking was free and felt secure, tucked away under the hotel or just in front of it. We were so lucky with the weather, it was 25 degrees+ around the lovely outdoor pool and felt like a holiday in Spain. The room was spacious, with efficient air con and a particularly lovely, large bathroom. It was clean and some complimentary chocolates and card were left, as the stay was for a big birthday treat. Check in was smooth and friendly.

We had treatments as part of our package and my deep tissue massage and manicure were great (thanks Lucy!) there was a nice large lounge area outside of the spa and the spa itself was compact, but nice.

Next some comments that I hope management read, they're written only to be constructive, as I left frustrated that our stay could have been better. Service around the pool could definitely be improved, I'm sure it isn't the case, but it felt like staff couldn't be bothered and tables went uncleared and mistakes were made. It was a hot day and I know it isn't an easy job, but even so...

Dinner - some issues were very minor, but resulted in things like cocktails being sent back and glasses needing to be changed. The food was good (on the whole) and the service prompt. The wine was lovely and the cheeseboard comprehensive, entertainingly explained and generous.

Then it turned a little bit bizarre, a well meaning celebratory touch was knocked a bit out of kilter after we had sat for 15 mins following our cheese and nothing happened (we were warned that something was planned) so we moved to the cocktail lounge. Our (lovely) waiter brought complimentary petit fours and said he had a 'VIP area' set up for us outside and would we please come and have tea or coffee. We followed him outside to a pitch dark, uncleared table, where he expected us to sit on damp pool chairs. We swiftly moved to another table and someone kindly brought us a wool throw, as it was nippy. It was a lovely idea, which I don't want to sound ungrateful for, but the execution was poor (and teas which we hadn't wanted were added to our bill).

The beds were comfy and breakfast was lovely and swiftly delivered. At check out we mentioned some of our issues and our peppermint teas were taken off the bill.

This hotel has all of the ingredients for a fantastic stay, but it didn't quite deliver on this occasion. I would have scored 3.5/5, as 3/5 and average feels stingy, but it didn't quite warrant very good. I hope that's fair! We still had a lovely time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Feistyglitter
Thank you for visiting the Feversham Arms and for writing down your thoughts. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and your treatments in the Verbena Spa, however we are sorry that our gesture at the end of your meal did not go as smoothly as hoped. We will look into the execution of our special touches to make sure that they go to plan in the future.

Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed over a weekend to celebrate our anniversary. We had stayed previously and had enjoyed the walk across to Rievaulx Abbey on the Cleveland Way and wanted to repeat the experience. Amazingly, we were given exactly the same room as on the previous stay (room 17) but had not requested it. The room is comfortable, and quiet, even though it looks out onto the main road. The elemis toiletries were lovely and the bathrobes soft and roomy. We had opted for dinner bed & breakfast, so ate in the restaurant both evenings. We are not fans of cuisine that includes lots of squiggly lines on the plate and a small portion in the centre, so were a little disappointed with the evening meals, however, we can heartily recommend the cheeseboard. A huge selection of cheeses and our waiter was highly entertaining as he explained each cheese. Our walk to Rievaulx did not disappoint, beautiful scenery along the way, and the weekend was rounded off by the Battle of Britain memorial flight appearing overhead as we sat in the square with an ice cream.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SG3560
Thank you for choosing the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa, we are pleased that you were able to return for a second visit, we do hope that one day you might visit us for a third!

All the team at the Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 5 in Helmsley
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!