“pricey but luckily worth every penny” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Leeds
“pricey but luckily worth every penny”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2009

Really nice hotel, friendly staff, gorgeous decor throughout and very comfortable. Only complaint would be that the restaurant felt very hushed and formal. The food is amazing but i don't need somone to pull out my chair, put my napkin on my lap and pour my wine. I'm happy to do this myself! I felt the restaurant would've benefitted from a bit more atmosphere and chatter.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

We chose a petite double room as cheaper and expected a pokey room but was great.
Food fantastic although fairly small portions. Cheese trolley amazing!
Spa was one of the best I've been to.
Complementary morning papers and coffee if you like- a nice touch.
Quite pricey but definitely worth it for a treat!

Alnmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

We stayed here for my wife's 50th birthday and I wanted someting special in view of the fact I was treated to a five star in Dubai. I thought the latter would never be beaten, but this place did it easily.
We arrived to be met by excellent reception staff, and taken to our room , I had booked room 5. I was getting anxious when we were taken to room 36, a suite , and therefore upgraded without cost to ourselves to the tune of £200 . The suite was huge , two tvs, several sofas, and desks. Huge bed and two patio doors onto our own private balcony. The bathroom was lovely and well equipped but I do have to conceded the floor did appear a tad unclean. Wooden florrs and attention to detail including the B & O televisions which swivelled away when not in use. Own cds and dvds extensiv echoice if you wanted them.
Food excellent , staff so attentive and we had no problems with language. Again without prompting they brought out petit fours with a plate beautifully decorated wishing my wife a happy birthday.
Breakfast superb, and again super attentive staff. The spa was magnificent and we had two treatments, I was making my debut and it was amazing.
Most of the hotel guests lazed by the pool all day and in the garden waited upon hand and foot by staff so eager to please.In fact it got tiring being asked continually if I wanted anything.
I have been to many places/hotels and whilst views are so subjective and one has to be careful re recommendations I cannot speak highly enough of this place, even down to the egyptian cotton sheets. Now what would a geordie boy like me think of that rubbish ? Well refreshing actually and light. Do not knock it until you have tried it.
The comments on this site leave me speechless and I cannot substantiate nor ratify any of the claims on this forum. Pricey.. ..yes, but you know that before you arrive. Value for money possibly not , but if you want to spoil a loved one splash out and indulge.
The guy here was responsible for Seaham Hall spa and I know where I would rather stay.
Make your own mind up , don't listen to the whingers re the tv reception, the light bulbs making too much noise or heavens above the chimes of the church tower. Visit ,enjoy, indulge. Would it be recommended by so many good travel guides and theTelegraph if it was so poor? Would celebrities visit if so poor?.
You decide, I know my answer....and I know what my wife thought ..........

2 Thank TrevitTreels
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

My husband and I and another couple stayed at the Feversham Arms for 2 nights in August. We stayed in a room costing £235 per night which had stains on the carpet (room 9) and splash stains on the wall. The decor was basic and the furniture was tired. There was no air conditioning and the weekend was especially warm so we were uncomfortable. The bathroom was nice but small.

My issue lies in the attention to detail, for example, my friend asked for no anchovies on the salad - it arrived with anchovies. We asked for no butter on the sandwiches - it arrived with butter. We waited for half an hour to be served and half an hour for our drinks to arrive by the pool. We had to ask 3 times for the chair cushions to be put out in the morning. The food is lovely but over priced. We asked for a rare steak which arrived medium. My understanding is a rare steak is bloody. When we mentioned this to the waiter, the owner of the hotel actually came over to tell us the steak was rare and he'd tried it himself. I didn't expect to be confronted so I mentioned that it wasn't rare as it was pretty much cooked through and he got defensive and said, "the steak is rare but do you want it rarer than that? I just didn't think his attitude and approach was applicable. The deserts were devine however.

Disappointingly, the spa area really smelled foisty so we didn't use it. It just didn't smell fresh or clean. The treatments were ok, but nothing to shout home about. A Chamomile tea cost £4.25 which is just rediculous.

All in all they have invested a lot of money in the public reception but once you go beyond this the cracks start to show. I must also mention that the tables by the pool were so old and grey, clearly having not been protected by the elements.

So yes, we were disappointed and won't return. The bill came to over £1200 for both couples which we were very shocked at.

If you're used to high standards then this hotel isn't for you. The website and brochures are great but the quality doesn't follow through which was a shame.

2 Thank cazzzza
Lancashire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

We stayed at the Feversham Arms for two nights as a treat for my husbands 40th birthday. I booked late so we had to change rooms on the second night from a spa suite (36) to a poolside double (2). The first room was brand new and beautifully decorated but was on the small side given the £400 price tag. The second room was definatley showing some signs of tiredness and again we thought that it was expensive for the size. Having said that everything else about the hotel was near on perfect. The food was delicious - both breakfast and evening meal. Service was exceptional, the staff really couldn't do enough for you. The spa was small but intimate and very relaxing. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay. If the price had been slightly less I would have been raving about this hotel and would have definately recommended it to my friends but we did come away feeling that although it was very nice it was also a bit pricey (the hotel is not a 5 star) and it is after all only in Helmsley - not Paris!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

Reading through some of the of the other reviews, I can imagine that people would have some concerns prior to booking this hotel. I wonder/hope if the hotel management team have taken note of the previous issues and raised their game.
We came to stay here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We stayed in room 31- a deluxe/poolside suite. The room was recommended by the receptionist at booking as one of the nicest. It was lovely, but at £400 pn our expectations were fairly high. We had a balcony- this did overlook the church, but also the road and a bit of a building site( the hotel is clearly undergoing some sort of extension at the moment). Thankfully, the builders stayed away the whole time we were there!
The staff throughout the hotel were all exceptionally friendly and helpful.
We used the spa a fair bit. The treatments were very nice, but the rooms are fairly poorly soundproofed so you are fully aware of other people talking in next door spa rooms and also outside. The therapists were friendly and helpful.
The evening meals were well prepared, but I agree with a previous reviewer in that the tables in the main dining room are closer together than you would want. There is a smaller room adjacent to the main dining room which has tables more widely spaced apart and so gives a little more privacy!
Overall I would recommend this hotel as a good place for a weekend away, it could do with just pushing itself up to the next level as regards the finishing touchs that one expects when paying the room rates they charge.

Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

Greeting at reception and check-in was excellent. Had a pool side suite, well appointed although I though the bedroom was a bit cramped, clean good selection of books CDs, DVDs, but as ever always find the TV remote difficult to operate.

Generally found the service good, room service was excellent even when I cocked-up the breakfast order first morning. Reception did a good job sorting out a picnic lunch at short notice in well equiped back pack.

Hotel is nicely located not too far from the centre of the beatiful village of Helmsley. Good parking for free. Plenty of customer facilities, umbrellas, free high speed internet, reading material etc.

Dined in the first evening, had taster menu, lovely food and wine. Only fault was the tables are a bit close together in the dining room.

SPA experience was good, the lunch served was slow coming.

The only real failing is the bar man far too full of his own ego. When I ordered a gin martini I don't know how many times I had to walk over to my friend to answer his questions. I guess a good bar man would have spared my embarrassment by coming over to take the order from my partner directly. The drink was excellent the best gin martini my friend had ever had. When were we dicussing this with him the follow evening he was clearly proud of his skill. Fine. What I didn't appreciate was when asked what else I liked to drink, I said malt whisky, was to interrogated which ones, te be told each time I suggested one it was pretty poor in his opinion and to be told at length what he liked. Rather spoilt otherwise excellent service.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#3 of 20 in Whitby
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,908 reviews

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!