“Deal or no deal, you still have to go!”

The Black Swan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Deal or no deal, you still have to go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have just returned from a 2 night break "travel zoo taster menu break" We had a great time .The hotel is very good, cosy and has a great deal of charm.The staff were fantastic , very friendly and made us feel totally welcome ,may i thank all the staff from reception to bar to dining for such a great experience. Finally the food, wow , the food was amazing. We were very lucky to go to this hotel on a fab deal from travel zoo which made this trip even more brilliant, but even if we paid more i still think it is great value.

Well done Black swan and thanks .

3 Thank ajitpatel56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

To start, we had stayed at the Devonshire Arms the night before (in Bolton Abbey) so this was always going to be a step down however they did themselves absolutely no favours

The room was nicely presented if a little compact and there is little I can fault nor rave about. The view straight on to the square was quite nice but being directly on the staircase was a little noisy
The service is where this place goes down hill

1. The receptionsit was distinctly chilly and put out by us pesky guests-this sets the tone and it wasnt a good one
2. The verbena spa: £50 for two-it is not part of this hotel as i misinterpreted. Dont like feeling ripped off so didnt go
3. Bar service. Atrocious. Two gentleman bumbling around seeing customers but doing nothing about them (15 minutes, no drinks order, no recognition, nothing). One complaint later, a menu. Another complaint, an order taken. Yet more complaining, a food menu. Empty glass, more complaints a food order taken, no wine menu had appeared still. More complaints, a wine menu, another complaint, an order, starters finished and the wine was chased up after an another complaint
And we were not alone-there were 5 tables in our vicinity and no one getting anything close to good service.
The food however was very good and almost a shame as I was picking for a fight at this point! Once we had rid ourselves of the bar staff the rest was really nice and thank you to the young man who was sent over to sort us out-he was the only one with any sort of capability and he want "allowed" to take a food order!
Breakfast was pretty good and a reasonable choice but our expectations were basically comedic at this point

The tearooms didnt fare too well either-place was a bombsite and quite average

£300 a night with wine (average at that!), dont bother

Tip to the management: you are letting a potentially very good, very profitable establishment go to ruin for the sake of 4 staff. Ask yourself if this is worth the investment!

Room Tip: Go to the Feversham
1 Thank KatWarner81
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed here as part of a Travelzoo promotion. Normally I'm a bit wary that your are treated differently on these promotions but my reservations were put to rest as soon as we arrived. The staff were all extremely friendly, without being forced. We instantly felt relaxed. We had a 6 course tasting menu which was a great way to try everything. Breakfast was also hearty and freshly prepared. The highlight for us was the afternoon tea. We had an old fashioned cake stand with finger sandwiches, the most amazingly fresh scones and other cakes. A were served with real silver teapots. It felt vey decadent and very British. The polish guy that served us was very helpful and efficient. The only down side of the hotel was the bathroom. It was a little dated compared to the standard of the room but did not really affect our stay. Overall a great trip for one or 2 nights.

1 Thank JonDillon
UK- Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I booked The Black Swan through Travel Zoo , which included the 6 course taster menu, afternoon tea, breakfast and champagne on arrival.

My first impression of the hotel was that it is very much in the middle of nowhere. There is a very small village with a few quaint shops, but that is it. We had originally booked with a view to being close to York, but in reality found that it was 15 miles outside of York. However, I appreciate that this was my bad planning.

The hotel is fairly big inside with nice, clean cosy rooms. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the champagne was much appreciated after a long journey.

The restaurant obviously appeals to people who enjoy fine dining. This is something myself and my partner had never experienced and we were disappointed to realise that we couldn't choose anything off the taster menu. Therefore, to the disappointment of our server, we did leave some of our courses untouched. The sections we did eat were very nice but I was unable to fully appreciate it all as it was mostly food I wouldn't choose.

With our meal, myself and my partner each only had one drink as drinks were very costly. However, the following morning upon departure we were charged for 2 drinks each, a total of £22. I corrected the lady on the reception who was quite sour faced and without apologising went away to change my bill. When she returned, the bill still was not correct, she had charged us for 3 drinks. I had to tell her again that it was still not right. She gave me a very impatient sigh (despite this not being my mistake) and walked away to change the bill again. When I settled the bill there was no smile or polite conversation which I found disappointing.

Perhaps the hotel was a little too upmarket for our taste but I do believe that no matter where you go in the world (and I have been all over) there is nothing that can compare to feeling welcomed by the staff. Unfortunately this wasn't the case here.

Nice hotel but we won't be returning.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

We just stayed for one night, we booked it through Travelzoo, it included afternoon tea, 7 course taster menu and bed & breakfast.
The room was comfortable and well presented, the bed was comforatable and we had a bottle of Chapagne on ice when we arrived.
We stayed in room 46, and just outside the in the corridor there was a slight smell of the kitchens, but thankfully it didn't permeate into the room.
The Black Swan has a charm and style of its own, the taster menu was superb as was the breakfast.
The staff were helpful and attentive, a really enjoyable experience

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BigTEastYorkshire
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

The room was very cosy and we had no disturbance or heard anybody walk past in the night so if you are in need of a good nights sleep this is the place.

The food at this hotel was lovely. You are served by friendly waiters and waitresses who are happy to see you get everything you require. For dinner we had the tasting menu which changes regularly. On this particular week it included pork and lamb which I don't eat but the manager was happy to change these courses to suit my requirements.

Breakfast was worth getting up for - lots of choice and cooked to order. After we checked out at 11am we visited the Verbena Spa which is nothing short of heaven! This is located a very short walk away at the Feversham Arms Hotel. If you have the time you must go here, its great to relax and I recommend a back message, the therapist works wonders!.

We came back to have Afternoon Tea which was included in our offer but is normally £16ish on its own. I don't think I would pay this if it wasn't in the offer - it was nice but I think that quite expensive per person for what you get.

Overall we had a lovely stay and would happily stay again.

1 Thank amyelaine24
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Charming, quirky room in old part of the hotel, overlooking the square. What the room lacked in size it made up for in character, and it was quiet! Excellent, friendly service in reception, bar and restaurant. Couldn't fault the attentive staff happily printing off directions to obscure places we wanted to visit. Breakfast and dinner faultlessly presented and feather beef could be cut with a fork.
Perfect for an autumn break.

Room Tip: Rooms in old part, are full of character.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Raithwaite Estate
#3 of 20 in Whitby
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,945 reviews
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to The Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!