The Black Swan Hotel
  • Restaurant
The Hawkhills(Easingwold)
Old Manse Hotel(Pickering)
1,767 results
All reviewstea roomafternoon teagallery restaurantfeature roombrown toiletriessix course tasting menusconesmarket squarelovely hotelevening mealbar areawedding partyrestaurant staffmarket menubottle of champagnespecial occasionlamb
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Really cosy country hotel. Lovely location. We enjoyed a walk from Rievaulx Abbey to Helmsley, wonderful leaf colours. Reception staff hit and miss but the waiters were wonderful.
Excellent dinner and breakfast. Would like to make this an annual event!

Room Tip: Paid £32 extra for feature room. Large sunny room, overlooked village square.
1  Thank Casasastre
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have just returned from a 2 night break "travel zoo taster menu break" We had a great time .The hotel is very good, cosy and has a great deal of charm.The staff were fantastic , very friendly and made us feel totally welcome ,may i thank all the staff from reception to bar to dining for such a great experience. Finally the food, wow , the food was amazing. We were very lucky to go to this hotel on a fab deal from travel zoo which made this trip even more brilliant, but even if we paid more i still think it is great value.

Well done Black swan and thanks .

3  Thank ajitpatel56
Reviewed 15 November 2011

To start, we had stayed at the Devonshire Arms the night before (in Bolton Abbey) so this was always going to be a step down however they did themselves absolutely no favours

The room was nicely presented if a little compact and there is little I can fault nor rave about. The view straight on to the square was quite nice but being directly on the staircase was a little noisy
The service is where this place goes down hill

1. The receptionsit was distinctly chilly and put out by us pesky guests-this sets the tone and it wasnt a good one
2. The verbena spa: £50 for two-it is not part of this hotel as i misinterpreted. Dont like feeling ripped off so didnt go
3. Bar service. Atrocious. Two gentleman bumbling around seeing customers but doing nothing about them (15 minutes, no drinks order, no recognition, nothing). One complaint later, a menu. Another complaint, an order taken. Yet more complaining, a food menu. Empty glass, more complaints a food order taken, no wine menu had appeared still. More complaints, a wine menu, another complaint, an order, starters finished and the wine was chased up after an another complaint
And we were not alone-there were 5 tables in our vicinity and no one getting anything close to good service.
The food however was very good and almost a shame as I was picking for a fight at this point! Once we had rid ourselves of the bar staff the rest was really nice and thank you to the young man who was sent over to sort us out-he was the only one with any sort of capability and he want "allowed" to take a food order!
Breakfast was pretty good and a reasonable choice but our expectations were basically comedic at this point

The tearooms didnt fare too well either-place was a bombsite and quite average

£300 a night with wine (average at that!), dont bother

Tip to the management: you are letting a potentially very good, very profitable establishment go to ruin for the sake of 4 staff. Ask yourself if this is worth the investment!

Room Tip: Go to the Feversham
1  Thank KatWarner81
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed here as part of a Travelzoo promotion. Normally I'm a bit wary that your are treated differently on these promotions but my reservations were put to rest as soon as we arrived. The staff were all extremely friendly, without being forced. We instantly felt relaxed. We had a 6 course tasting menu which was a great way to try everything. Breakfast was also hearty and freshly prepared. The highlight for us was the afternoon tea. We had an old fashioned cake stand with finger sandwiches, the most amazingly fresh scones and other cakes. A were served with real silver teapots. It felt vey decadent and very British. The polish guy that served us was very helpful and efficient. The only down side of the hotel was the bathroom. It was a little dated compared to the standard of the room but did not really affect our stay. Overall a great trip for one or 2 nights.

1  Thank JonDillon
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I booked The Black Swan through Travel Zoo , which included the 6 course taster menu, afternoon tea, breakfast and champagne on arrival.

My first impression of the hotel was that it is very much in the middle of nowhere. There is a very small village with a few quaint shops, but that is it. We had originally booked with a view to being close to York, but in reality found that it was 15 miles outside of York. However, I appreciate that this was my bad planning.

The hotel is fairly big inside with nice, clean cosy rooms. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the champagne was much appreciated after a long journey.

The restaurant obviously appeals to people who enjoy fine dining. This is something myself and my partner had never experienced and we were disappointed to realise that we couldn't choose anything off the taster menu. Therefore, to the disappointment of our server, we did leave some of our courses untouched. The sections we did eat were very nice but I was unable to fully appreciate it all as it was mostly food I wouldn't choose.

With our meal, myself and my partner each only had one drink as drinks were very costly. However, the following morning upon departure we were charged for 2 drinks each, a total of £22. I corrected the lady on the reception who was quite sour faced and without apologising went away to change my bill. When she returned, the bill still was not correct, she had charged us for 3 drinks. I had to tell her again that it was still not right. She gave me a very impatient sigh (despite this not being my mistake) and walked away to change the bill again. When I settled the bill there was no smile or polite conversation which I found disappointing.

Perhaps the hotel was a little too upmarket for our taste but I do believe that no matter where you go in the world (and I have been all over) there is nothing that can compare to feeling welcomed by the staff. Unfortunately this wasn't the case here.

Nice hotel but we won't be returning.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple