“Really lovely Stay”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Yorkshire
“Really lovely Stay”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We visited The Black Swan for a one night stay for our Anniversary on a DBB basis. We chose a feature room which was really lovely, great uneven floors and unusual layout which added to its character. Really comfortable large Bed and even with the single glazed windows and being Town Square located the room was beautifully quiet. I would definitely recommend staying in these beautiful feature rooms. Only minor niggles such as the bedside lamps have wiring issues and constantly flicker so we turned them off. Even with the password the WiFi internet connection would not work for us.
For our Dinner we chose from the "Daily Dinner Menu" (note the one online IS the menu not just a "Sample" of the menu, "Sample" would suggest there are more choices but there are not).
The Meal was preceeded by a lovely Gazpacho and variety of Fresh Bread very delicious although the waiter was very intrusive and needed to dial down a little, we were glad he was only in charge of the bread aperitif. My Husband chose the Ham Hock starter which he rated highly, I chose the Scallop and Seabass which was lovely but overwhelmed by the Apple flavour on such a delicate beautiful piece of fish and the Scallop was not seasoned. For main I chose the Lamb which was lovely but I could not taste any Cumin and the Lentils added nothing to the dish but overwhelmed the subtle mix and textures in my opinion it was crying out for crushed new potato with such beautifully cooked lamb. My husband thought the Miso Cod was beautiful. The Desserts (which are diferent from online) were a disconstructed STP (sticky toffee pudding) which would of been massively improved by a lack of pretentiousness, it was style over substance with dry overcooked Parkin and items which, when brought together, created nothing to shout home about and would of been much improved by being "Constucted" into an actual STP. The Passion Fruit Tarte with chocolate truffles with space dust.. I cannot fathom why space dust appears to be the flavour of the month it added nothing to this very rich desert other than a very unpleasant texture and rather than concentrating on adding clichés perhaps more time should be spent creating a mix on the plate which is kind to the palate.. Passion fruit and Mango are strong and acidic, it needed a mellow calming balance on the plate and only delivered an overly rich overpowering acidic flavour. All in all I would not dine from this menu again, clearly the food is cooked beautifully but very pretentious trying to be something it really doesnt need to be and doesnt deliver to the standard it is trying to reach. This Hotel Restaurant needs to be reflective of its hotel rooms and building style and change to a Bistro Menu with good quality well balanced warming homely food, leave the pea shoots to Feversham!
The Breakfast - firstly I have to say the waiter we had in the evening that also served Breakfast whilst really lovely that evening clearly should not be welcoming guests in the morning, he was clearly tired and grumpy and abrupt. This is something you should not have to tolerate at breakfast service. We felt very uncomfortable with his demeanour, the rest of the staff however were very pleasant.
Breakfast was not the greatest we have ever experienced but was generally very good. The continental option was basic and uninspiring with just croissants and dried or tinned fruits and packet cereals. I was delighted to find they gave the option of poached eggs with the full english but on arrival they were not just cold but actually freezing! I think they had been plunged into ice to avoid further cooking but were not warmed prior to arrival at the table.. terrible! If having the full english again I would have the fried or scrambled but can recommend the bacon, sausage and mushrooms as they are really excellent and very high quality.
All in all a mixed bag, the room was lovely and I would really recommend a nights stay. Special mention must go to their Afternoon Tea which is absolutely AMAZING!!!

Room Tip: Feature rooms at the front of the hotel overlooking the Square, beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Braintree, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked a one night bed, breakfast and dinner package and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a classic double room which was furnished and decorated to a high standard. There was plenty of space with everything you could poossibly need. The staff in the hotel were very helpful and friendly. The dinner in the restaurant was delicious and beautifully presented. Although the restaurant was quiet, we were not rushed and so able to fully enjoy the experience. There is not a great deal of choice on the menu so I would have struggled to find something that I liked if I had been staying longer. It is quite expensive, but certainly worth it for a special treat.

Heckmondwike
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Just returned from a night in the Black Swan- a great hotel with awesome food, but spoilt by the extremely slow service,
We booked the great taster menu for 8.15 on Saturday 15/06, arrived promptly at 8pm and were seated straight away- the food and wines were brilliant, but this was spoilt by the length of time it took to serve the meal, at 11.15, we were still in the restaurant and hadn't had the cheese course or coffee, but gave up and went to bed at the speed of service it would have been 12.30 before we would finish. To be fair James the waiter, did apologise for the slow service,
When we checked out at 09.30 this morning, the three staff on reception, seemed more bothered about continuing their own conversation, the finding out how our stay had been ,
Please sort it out you have great food and location, don't ruin it with poor service

Room Tip: room 47 was quiet and the hotel supplies free wifi, contrary to what it says on expedis
1 Thank georgemjohnson
Essex
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The original buildings along the square are full of character but the lounges need a revamp as they are looking tired, the newer block is a pretty awful design. Our room was in the older part, it was smartly decorated but the bathroom heating did not work and tiles were broken and despite having told reception in the morning no attempt had been made to get the radiator on, so washing remained a freezing experience!
The breakfast was very good, as were afternoon tea and dinner and the hotel was clearly busy and being well received. The staff were helpful, just a shame they have not invested into the decor and some fairly basic repairs.

Room Tip: Older rooms have more character, newer ones are larger
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2013

While we were on holiday last week in Yorkshire and we had a day out in helmsley. We have been to this hotel before so we were looking forward to a nice lunch and they did not disappoint.The sandwiches are amazing and the cakes are to die for.John and i shared the sandwich as it was so huge. they are quite expensive but well worth the money if you share. The carrot cake was the best i have tasted. Cant wait for our next visit.

1 Thank Mary J
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Last Thursday my wife and I paid one of our infrequent visits to The Black Swan which has changed hugely since my days of a lad being taken there by my parents as an Ampleforth schoolboy. What an amazing 24 hours we had. I can honestly say the evening meal was one of the best we have ever had, we had the 8 course taster menu and it was just superb. Special mention to Zoltan (nice people) and Stuart who served us both dinner and breakfast, they were knowledgeable polite and fun, we will definitely be returning. The room was first class, nothing could be faulted and what good value it was, can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part have more character and are nearer to the main hotel, we had room 2 which I th...
1 Thank Mark N
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We visited The Black Swan for my dad's birthday and the weather was crisp outside- it was January- as soon as we entered the hotel the staff were friendly and showed us our room with a double and a single bed, an ensuite bathroom with bath/shower, toilet and sink. Lovely toiletries already there which my mum loved. We unpacked before having a walk around the lovely Helmsley, the Cut-Price bookstore was brilliant where I spent £5.00 on about 4 books a real bargain as I am a true bookworm. Lovely shops! The Black Swan is not cheap but for what you get- LUXURY- it is good. We ordered afternoon tea by the fire whilst I read on the windowseat! We got ready for out taster menu evening meal. The staff were really helpful offering smaller portions for me (8yr old girl at the time). My parents loved the menu and wine which came with each course. I loved the food and even had a sneaky sip of wine although it made me shudder! The beds were SO comfy and I fell asleep straight away, everything is true quality, plenty of cushions and thick duvets. We had a wonderful view of Helmsley. We stayed two nights and at the end I adopted a teddy- who I found when we entered the room innocently lying on my bed- called Huggie who is now still my teddy 6 years on although he is a bit battered now, but I still love him. Lovely sitting room and dining room and fire was lit numerous times throughout our visit much to the joy of my family and I after a day exploring the Yorkshire Moors. Everything is traditional, lovely quality furniture and friendly staff. An olde world feel which was wonderful. Peaceful at night and wonderful night sleep both nights! No bad comments so thank you for our stay! Everybody if you want to treat a loved one to something special then take them to The Black Swan because it is wonderful and friendly staff. Ignore the price and look for deals because it is worth it! Thank you Black Swan!

Room Tip: Any room has a wonderul view of either the gardens or Helmsley! Peaceful and STAY HERE!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 20 in Whitby
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to The Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!