“Out of this world- relaxing atmosphere and mouthwatering food!”

The Black Swan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
York, United Kingdom
“Out of this world- relaxing atmosphere and mouthwatering food!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Truly lovely setting over looking the market place with beautiful rooms, a lovely relaxing atmosphere and delicious food, especially the taster menu although have been many times. Compliments to the team. Highly recommended and cannot wait to return again.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Called in for a spot of lunch on Easter Saturday which was a busy time but easily found a nice spot in the bar area, which is a nice relaxing room. Service was good with a friendly female member of staff attending to us. We selected a Caesar salad and a good pint of Theakston's Bitter. We were previously advised to try the Black Shiraz wine which we did very nice indeed. A good spot to call in would definitely go back for a night stay and evening stay when next in the area.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked as a romantic getaway for my girlfriend and I to celebrate our anniversary and what a celebration it was.

The room was beautifully decorated with lots of lovely little touches, the champers and strawberries delivered to our room on request and really lovely and welcoming staff even when we were having a good old nosey around the building!

Then the star, the main attraction...the 6 course tasting menu. Surely a Michelin star is only a matter of time. The rabbit with cherry was exquisite, the lamb was sublime, and I won't spoil the surprise, but the pre dessert....just wow!!! I only wish I had it in me to tackle the extensive cheese board!

Rounded off with breakfast served in our room at no extra cost, it was a fabulous experience and earned me significant brownie points with the missus!

Thank you very much, from us both.

Room Tip: Choose the tasting menu for a dining experience you won't forget!
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The dinner here was good although small portions on the Market menu and a bit surprised that it was exactly the same menu available both nights we stayed with only 3 choices so a bit stuck if you wanted something different you had to choose from the more expensive menu. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and great service. the room we stayed in was at the back of the hotel and very comfortable bed and nice and quiet. The paintwork along the corridors and hallways upstairs was very shabby, although the décor in the room was fine. We would stay here again.

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

It is with sincere regret that I post this review of the disgraceful treatment I have been subjected to by this hotel today. This establishment has long been a favourite of mine and has previously benefitted from glowing reviews from me. I have been a very frequent visitor over the last ten years and have brought my closest family and friends to share my love of this hotel on a vast range of occasions.

Today I have tried to book a suite for the end of May, along with dinner and breakfast, afternoon tea and champagne for the room for a very special occasion. I wanted to spend this occasion here as it have such fondness for the place. I have to say that following the appalling treatment I have received this morning that these memories have been spoiled. What a shame. I would ask the general manager whom I was told twice to ring on Monday before having the phone put down on me if this is really the way he would expect loyal customers to be made to feel?

I was not listened to. The duty manager repeated three times that he was trying to run a wedding and explicitly stated that my phone call to him was an inconvenience for the wedding. 'I didn't say it (your call) was inconvenient to me you're putting words in my mouth I said it is inconvenient for the wedding'. He refused to deal with my concerns or my booking and actually put the phone down on me.

I have spent nearly six hours today simply trying to place a booking for a suite. I tried on line and finally after thirty mins I gave up and asked the hotel by email if they could book this. I had not heard a word by mid morning so sent the email through again. I had a reply nearly four hours after my original email saying that if I sent my phone number then some one would ring me. There was no answer to my query. I then sent my phone number saying I was going out but no one rang so finally some four and a half hours after my original email I rang the hotel. They took ages to answer. The tone was surly. I explained what I wanted and I was asked for my details. I referred them to my emails. They said they were busy with a wedding. I was then told some one had emailed me. I said yes but no one answered my query or has rung me back to enable me to book. I was being argued with and was just trying to place a booking so, rather fed up now, I asked for the manager and was told initially he was not available. When I asked again if I could make the booking, very frustrated by this time, I was then passed to the duty manager who was on a mobile and he told me he was not able to help me as he said he away from the desk dealing with a wedding. He made no apology and no effort to do anything. He showed no interest in
my treatment thus far and showed no interest in my complaint or in trying to make a loyal customer feel at all valued. He asked me what I wanted him to do. I had already expressed my discontent and said I would like him to deal with my complaint and take my booking. He said he would pass me onto a booking clerk and that my complaint would be followed up. I asked when and he replied in due course like all complaints. I asked how he would do this given he had not asked for my name or contact details? He then said I should contact the manager on Monday and I said I wanted to place the booking. He then said he was terminating the call and that I should contact the manager myself on Monday and then put the phone down on me.

Thus I have no booking. I have also been made to feel very cross.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience I have caused in presenting as a loyal customer wishing to book a special occasion of my own. I also apologise for trying to make a complaint about the tardy and surly service I have received and for hoping that the duty manager would be interested enough to listen and take a few minutes to put things right for a loyal customer.

Perhaps the manager might contact me himself on Monday?

22 Thank sally-ann61
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Black Swan which was a gift from our family. The service was perfect the food excellent and our surroundings comfortable and cosy. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We enjoyed afternoon tea also which we ate in front of a roaring fire in theTudor room. A memorable occasion. The hotel is located on the edge of the market square which is ideal for shopping or just a stroll. Also a short walk takes you to Duncolme Park where you can view birds of prey. A amazing experience. So much to do in beautiful North Yorkshire. The problem is deciding what!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PenHen1
Black_Swan_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Black Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely comments following your recent stay with us. It's always lovely to receive comments such as yours, we are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay, and found all aspects of the hotel from the food to the service to be perfect. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Wonderful food, hotel and staff brilliant excellent location , next time will ask for a view of market square to avoid a brick wall at the back ..... but would definitely stay again ..... look on Groupon or other special vouchers ..... then call direct and price match. .... They will charge you same but you pay on departure .

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Black Swan. My apologies with regards to the view, but on the plus side I am so pleased that the rest of your stay with us was perfect, and that you found the food to be wonderful and the staff to be brilliant! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Please note we've never actually been featured on Groupon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 20 in Whitby
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to The Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!