“Beautiful Hotel, amazing service and the perfect wedding”

The Black Swan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I held my wedding at the Black Swan in Helmsley in june 2012 (I have only just started catching up on reviews on Trip advisor)
My day was absoloutly perfect in every way! Nicola was my wedding co-ordinator and I could not have asked for a more attentive, reliable and wonderful co-ordinator.
the hotel went above and beyond for my ceremony, down to the master of ceremonies memorising parts of my entrance song so he knew when to prompt each bridesmaid to enter the room, amazing! the staff could not do enough for us throughout the whole day and even into the night they put up with our rather Inebriated family and friends. The food on the day was beautiful and the breakfast was probably the best I have ever had. the venue is perfect for a wedding and the courtyard was a wonderful setting for my wedding photo's. the Bridal suite was beautiful and the bed was very comfy! I got everything I wanted from this day and I cannot praise the staff at the Black Swan enough.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at the Black Swan last Friday night after a "Speciality Evening" on the subject to champagne. The hotel itself is as you would expect in an old market town, very atmospheric, romantic and quirky. Room was large, comfortable and quiet. The champagne evening was truly excellent and we shall be returning in the next couple of months to stay over again and sample a different evening as there are many throughout the year. Not cheap but worth the money.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at The Black Swan with my ageing parents as a surprise for them and enjoyed our overnight stay , having purchased a Secret Escapes deal which included a bottle of champagne on arrival & breakfast.
We dined in The Gallery and all found the food wonderful and the service very attentive , this continued into breakfast the following morning.
The rooms were adequate however a little let down by the bathrooms , where the attention to detail was not in keeping with the rest of the hotel.
The Black Swan is not ideal for people with mobility problems as there are lots of stairs to climb in order to get to the rooms that overlook the gardens at the rear.
Would we return there , most definitely the food would definitely bring us back !

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here as a treat to celebrate our ten year wedding anniversary. The room was beautiful with lots of fab little touches. Each member off staff that we came in to contact with we're fab! We will defiantly be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the market square!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is a real time review!
It is our last evening of a four night stay. There are not many hotels where to stay can be described as a delight, but this is one of them. The history is that of an old coaching inn. In past years it has been part of Trust House Forte and MacDonald chains. Now I understand it is privately owned.

If you want the ambience of a very comfortable traditional coaching inn, high quality friendly attentive service and an excellent restaurant, this is the place for you. Another reviewer suggests that a Michelin Star for the restaurant shouldn't be far away. He's right! The attention to detail and the quality and presentation of the food is what sets this restaurant apart.

We stayed in what I believe is the oldest part of the hotel...oak beams creaking floors, solid oak doors! Our room was tastefully decorated and very clean with an unbelievably comfortable bed.

If you want to explore York, the North Yorkshire moors and the east coast of Yorkshire there is no better location than Helmsley. And for us there is no better hotel to stay. Thank you everyone at the Black Swan.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlotte061
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed here on 1st April, and booked the March into Spring deal in the Junior Suite room. The small afternoon tea included was lovely, plenty to put us on for the afternoon and the room was very pretty - apart from the bathroom, which was very disappointing for a 'Suite' and the shower didn't work. We mentioned this but nothing was done about it. Also included in our deal was a 3 course Market Menu dinner & a bottle of house wine. We decided to pay extra for a nice bottle of wine. The food was amazing - we both really enjoyed it and can't fault it in any way. Presentation & taste fantastic. The main issue came the following morning when we checked out. My partner settled the bill whilst packing up the car and when he came back up to the room he queried it with me, as he wasn't sure it was right and as I had booked it he wanted to double check. We had been charged for 2 bottles of wine at the full price rather than the difference for the one bottle we had above the value of the house wine included with our deal. You would think this would have been very easy to understand & rectify but the receptionist had major problems with this!! We were kept waiting for ages while she queried it with several people & still couldn't get a grasp of what the issue was. Once I had persuaded her we weren't trying to rob them (felt like a criminal to be honest) she then couldn't work out our refund. Very simple mental arithmetic but she wouldn't believe my calculation. Eventually she agreed the refund we were due but we got no apology or a smile as we left. I felt this was very poor customer service. We spent over £200 for one night as a special treat and this totally let the experience down and we left feeling very deflated. Also no apology or acknowledgment when we mentioned again that the bathroom had issues and we couldn't use the shower. I really expected more from this Hotel, it's somewhere I have wanted to stay for a long time & they really need to rectify the receptionist's attitude towards their guests. Otherwise would have been a lovely night away.

1  Thank Tracymb1970
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed on a one night break and everything about the hotel was exceptional. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. We had a lovely afternoon tea in the lounge, which is a great place to sit and watch the world go by. The room we had was spotless and beautifully decorated. We even managed to sit in the garden area in the evening to escape from the hustle and bustle with a glass (or two) of champagne. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Can't comment as our room was lovely with a view over the garden.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Black_Swan_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Black Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Following your recent stay at the Black Swan, we are delighted to read that you found all aspects of the hotel, from the staff to your bedroom, to be exceptional - thank you for your lovely comments and hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
The White Swan Inn
The White Swan Inn
#1 of 3 in Pickering
The Talbot Hotel Malton

Been to The Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!