“BLACK SWAN HELMSLEY”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“BLACK SWAN HELMSLEY”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

An established hotel right in the centre of Helmsley. I was luck and was able to park in the small car park directly outside. We only had one night here but the town looked nice and quite prepared for tourists. There was a market setting up in the Square when we left on a Friday morning.

The public rooms look nice and well cared for but the building is showing signs of neglect with unfinished exit lights over the door to the garden, peeling and rotten window frames to the rear of the property and creaking floors even in the newer parts of the building. The gardens are a delight.

I had room 26. It required lugging my bags up a flight of stairs, along a narrow corridor, down a flight of stairs and along another corridor. If you have any doubt of being able to manage this ask for help, it was significantly further than I would have imagined and not easy to find the first time with the up along and down.

The room and bathroom appeared to fairly clean but the cups and spoons both needed cleaning prior to use. The tea tray is nicely filled out.

The reason I have marked the hotel down is that I didn't try the bed until actually going to bed. The linen looked new but there is a definite smell of smoke and mildew when you lie down. Had I noticed before this stage I would have requested a new room and I have marked the cleanliness down through this. The beds are very very soft. My colleague in another room did not have any issues.

I was here on business and was surprised that breakfast did not start until 08:00 - actually it was well past this by the time my order was taken and this meant a later start than anticipated. There is an option to have a cold breakfast in your room if required. The hot breakfast was of good quality items, well prepared and served with a smile.

If I were here for pleasure and had the time to enjoy, I am sure it would have been a better stay. I really didn't like the smoke/mildew smell and the difficult route to the room.

Room Tip: I'd aim for a room at the front of the hotel rather than drag bags. It could be especially nois...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Lancashire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Black Swan at Helmsley did not disappoint.
Definitely somewhere to stay for a celebration as you will feel pampered!
The market town is wonderful, so before you even enter the hotel, you know you're going to enjoy your stay in the area.
I can not fault the hotel at all. Lovely setting, superb food, lovely garden to sit in and enjoy a glass of something chilled in the sunshine listening to the church bells.
The staff are at your service from the moment you step foot inside to the moment you leave - even supplying a bag with fruit and bottled water for your trip home.
Grant deserves a mention from the restaurant, who looked after us and made the evening very enjoyable.
The staff here can't do enough and it certainly deserves 5* for that alone.
A memorable, relaxing stay.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Our room was near the deliveries entrance at the side which was a little noisy, so you would be bett...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 150Amanda
Cumbria, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful two night break away at this delightful hotel.
We booked the 'Hungry For More' deal which included champagne and strawberries on arrival in our room and on the first evening the six course tasting menu and a three course meal on the second evening and full breakfast each morning, this came in at £449 as we had an feature room.

We arrived early and were allowed to check as the room was ready.
We were happy with our room even though it looked over the back car park as it was very large and spacious and all the furniture and its whole lay out was very pleasing on the eye.
The whole room was immaculate and clean in all areas of it.
The linen on the bed was of good quality and the towels in the bathroom were white and fluffy.
Robes and slippers are available in the room as well if you wish to use them.
The toiletries provided were top notch.

The hotel itself is just lovely, there are lots or areas to sit down inside for a pre dinner drink and the gardens down the side of the hotel are whilst only being small a nice area to sit in as well.

All staff we came into contact with were wonderful and an asset to the place.
They seem to have acquired the knack of being friendly but not in an over the top intrusive way to your nights dining.
The South African lead waiter was a master of his trade, he was a delightful man with a good knowledge of the food being served, especially the cheese board.
I watched the way he worked and that man did not miss anything as his eyes were all over the place keeping an eye on all the tables!

All food we had was fantastic on both evenings, it was very well presented and very tasty.
I would actually go as far as saying that the tasting menu was one of the best I have ever had the pleasure to have, so compliments to the chefs from me.
Breakfast was as you would expect it to be, plenty enough to choose from in all departments and the staff on the morning were on the ball and quick with service.

It did sadden me to hear one customer give a manager in the restaurant some grief as they felt their birthday had not been recognised by the hotel, but he handled it well.
Our 2 night trip away was a celebration also and it was a most enjoyable one.

On checking out we received a 'goody bag' which had two bottles of water and and two apples in it, a nice little touch we felt.
We were thanked for our custom, asked if all was well and wished a happy onward journey.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone and wish them continued success.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whatnamecaniuse
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have going to the Black Swan for almost 26 years and the standard has never been higher .

From reception to housekeeping the staff are great.-nothing is too much trouble.

The quality of food is outstanding and the dinners have variety and interest .Surely deserves a Michelin star soon!

Great to see Jean in great form!

Looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the Feature rooms are special.
1 Thank Mikemcdee
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have stayed at the Black Swan several times but not since 2011. We appreciated being able to book for only 1 night as most hotels of this quality insist on 2 night stays which can be tricky to fit in with work commitments.
Our room overlooking the garden was well equipped and reasonably comfortable but some areas (eg the bath and the lighting) were in need of an upgrade. I prefer the room we had on a previous stay with a window seat overlooking the market place making it a great place to people watch.
Having booked I was annoyed to find that we would have to eat earlier than we would like and then we were irritated that nobody seemed to be arriving in the restaurant at the time we would have chosen to eat.
When we arrived for dinner at 7pm, the staff were rather flustered as they were unable to produce any menus. Not a good start. They had only just cleared up from a wedding reception. Then our wine was slow to arrive as the order was lost.
However once the food started to arrive things improved considerably. Each course was delicious and nicely presented. For me the highlight was the Panna Cotta and for my husband it was Scallops and homemade black pudding. Food of this quality would not be out of place in good London restaurants.
The cooked breakfast was very good but the pastry basket on the buffet emptied very soon after service started and was not replenished during our meal. This was a shame as the chocolate twist I had was excellent and I wanted to try the croissants too.
I would stay again but I would ask how busy the hotel was likely to be as I think the staff were struggling to cope on a busy night. In addition we were kept awake by noise from the Wedding which we should have been warned about when we booked. Non wedding guests could have been allocated quieter rooms away from the festivities.

1 Thank Lucyleopard
dumfriesshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stopped here last week and booked a double room with dinner (6 course tasting menu)and bed and breakfast. The dinner was absolutely wonderful and the waiter, Vaughan, so helpful and very friendly. The whole evening was fantastic. Our room was very good, large comfortable bed and a good sized bathroom. There was tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits for our use and also water. After a good night's sleep, the breakfast was very good, with a choice of fresh fruits, pastries and cereals. Our cooked Yorkshire breakfast was also very good. On check out we were given a little bag containing a bottle of water and an apple each for our onward journey, which is a very nice touch. All in all we had a wonderful time here at the Black Swan. Excellent hotel and hope to be back again some time.

1 Thank canadaDumfriesshire
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We decided to take a break away for a few days as it will be the only holiday we get before a big house move. We were not disappointed by The Black Swan.

Great friendly welcome by staff, nothing was too much trouble at any time, beautiful comfy room overlooking gardens, real ale, great breakfast, etc. etc.

Fabulous meal on Tuesday night in the Gallery (we ate out the other nights). Overall a wonderful stop in a great town.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Raithwaite Estate
#3 of 20 in Whitby
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,942 reviews
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to The Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!