“Day out”

Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A fabulous family friendly, award winning fish and chip cafe. Just voted Best Fish and Chip shop 2013. Either take away or eat in. With 80 covers there is plenty of room, coach parties welcome. We aim to provide the best fish and chips available from sustainable and local sources at a value price. Gluten free and veggie chip shop chips. Served with a smile. Our premises are not your usual fish and chip cafe and are a pleasurable and inspiring place to spend some time.
Reviewed 23 February 2015

Called on way home from buying a motorhome , their were5of us, the service,fantastic ,great value for money, will we call again, yes will we tell others yes. The place is spotless

JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2015

Hello and thanks for the review,
Delighted you enjoyed your stop off and hope you enjoy your motor home.
At our other restaurant, Bilbrough, near York. YO23 3PP we have a large car park and do allow motor homes to park up, which maybe of interest to you?
Thanks again.

Reviewed 23 February 2015

We had a fabulous experience at Scotts of Helmsley just over a week ago. We had been delayed in Friday night traffic on the motorway, and had been recommended to go to Scotts on our arrival. We phoned ahead and found out we were due to arrive 15 mins after closing time, but the manager said without hesitation that he would stay open as we'd been recommended to go there. We had the best fish and chips - the fish was lovely and firm and the chips were piping hot and absolutely delicious. Lewis looked after us brilliantly - was very friendly and had even lit a candle on our table (it was the weekend of Valentine's Day!). Thank you very much for your hospitality and delicious food - we can't wait to return!

Hi Victoria,
Thank for the great comments, 'best in years'.
We do believe we serve excellent fish n chips. Large prime Icelandic fish, thick and meaty, all cooked to order.
Sounds like you may have been in town for Valentines and hope your weekend got off to a good start at Scotts?
Well done Lewis.

Reviewed 21 February 2015

we visited yesterday with our family and we had a bit of a palapa being served as I had to chase up the lady. I told her not much time on the car and she did her best to get to us but they were obviously understaffed. Staff were polite but just not attentive. The hot chocolate came and it was like dishwater. Sent that back then another one came and that was the same. Think it would have been a good idea for the staff to maybe taste it before it came out. My daughter tried to drink it but it was awful. Machine fault. I sent that one back too. Then all of a sudden 2 male staff appeared and they guy (maybe that is Scott?) couldn't apologise enough and brought back a fab hot chocolate. My girls were passed it by then though sadly. We were told our 3 cakes would come before the fish and chips which was great as we would have them with our hot drinks but they didn't. By this point we had to go put more money on the car. I had to chase the guy for the cakes as my little girls were getting very bored by this point. The place was not that busy by this point and everyone was having fish and chips so don't know why there was such a problem. Anyway when my partners cod and chips came £10.50 they were delicious and great quality. The cakes were big portions and very nice but the profiteroles gateaux beat me! £3.95 for cake and a drink. Sadly my drink was coldish when it came and all gone by the time I had the cake. The male member of staff restored our faith in the shop by discounting our bill for a cake and drink without our asking and offered the children a lolly. Clean pleasant if not a bit plain contemporary surrounding and the toilet I struggled to get me and one of my young girls in there but overall a nice establishment. Good food when it finally comes. Poor service but redeemed a little. We still left a tip for their trouble but I would not go there with my young children again it takes far too long to be served with ready made fish and chips and ready made cakes and machine made drinks!

1  Thank bonnietigerlass

Hello and thanks for the review,
Not sure what happened, but clearly we didn't live up to our own high expectations with the drinks!!
Sounds like the food was excellent and overall you were happy.
We do cater for young children, see earlier review.
We hope you give us another try.

Reviewed 19 February 2015

We've been to Helmsley a few times with the grandparents, but this was the first time we stayed for anything other than a pub lunch or a quick picnic. What can I say...it was A-mazing!! Natalie, our hostess, was superb. She was fantastic with the kids (3 and 8-yr-old). My son got a kid's meal, but we both think he got more food than we did! Suspect that someone put a few extra fish strips on his plate to share with his sister, who only wanted chips. The fish was succulant - none of this 3/4 batter and a thin layer of fish. No, sir! This was thick, lovely fish with the thinnest, crispiest batter and not a sign of oil. Chips were delicious too - no soggyness - and we had a choice of garden / mushy peas or beans. Add in a both of Yorkshire tea, all for under £10. We'd completely forgotten that my son's meal came with a milk lolly until we went to paid, whereby Natalie had him choose one on his way out AND gave one to my daughter, even though she hadn't ordered a meal. £30 for a FANTASTIC family lunch that lasted us the rest of the day.

What's more is that my husband's parents, especially his father, love going to Helmsley when they visit from Harlow, but grandad's also a rather picky eater. Both my husband and myself left feeling this was a restaurant we could bring him to with outstanding results.

Hello and thanks for the great comments,
“Wow! Just....WOW!!” - what else can I say?
Great food, at value prices, all served with friend;y smiley staff. Well down Natalie. All food cooked to order, with the fish being large fillets cut to size on site.
This ensures thick meaty fish, that flakes when cut into.
Chef Shane's secret recipe batter tops it off with a crisp layer.
We are very family friendly, with kids options and there is nothing better than the family all enjoying fish n chips.
Spread the word and com back soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2015

My wife and I had lunch here today and had Fish n Chips with mushy peas bread and butter and pot of tea foe £9.95 each well worth the money fish was lovely firm and white coated in golden batter not a drop of fat on the plate chips were golden and lovely. I highly recommend Scotts to anyone . The place is spotless and if the lovely friendly Natalie serves you your in for a treat !

JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2015

"Great Scott" !!!!
Cap'n Scott is delighted to read your comments, fresh food, cooked to order, prime Icelandic fish, crisp batter, all served with friendly service.
The Cap'n Scotts special you had is great value and a plate full for most.
Natalie has only been with us a short while but proving to be a real asset, well done Natalie.

Spread the word and come back soon.