“excellent !”

Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A fabulous family friendly, award winning fish and chip cafe. Just voted Best Fish and Chip shop 2013. Either take away or eat in. With 80 covers there is plenty of room, coach parties welcome. We aim to provide the best fish and chips available from sustainable and local sources at a value price. Gluten free and veggie chip shop chips. Served with a smile. Our premises are not your usual fish and chip cafe and are a pleasurable and inspiring place to spend some time.
Reviewed 18 April 2015

wonderful service, fabulous fish and salad, loved it ! Daughter had fish chips and mushy peas, son in law had sausage and chips could not fault the food or the service, thank you

1  Thank Jojaz
JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2015

Hello and thanks for the review,
Excellent - that's what we aim to offer and delighted that's what you experienced.
Thanks again
Regard

Reviewed 17 April 2015 via mobile

We enjoyed our first takeaway from here so much that we returned again later in the week !
Delicious chips, delicious flaky fish! And even gluten free batter :)

The only negative I could give (And it isn't a huge deal) is that the boxes used for takeaway do let out a bit of the foods heat. Although we did take a short drive home before eating and it was still warm enough to eat. Not a complaint- just an observation.

JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2015

Hello and thanks for the review,
First and second visit, all within a week, well done. We do have loyalty cards for regulars, so pick one up next time you're in.
Gluten free battered fish n chips are available all day everyday.
Keeping fish n chips warm whilst travelling home is difficult. We use industry standard boxes.
Fish n chips are the only takeaway in the UK, that is not available for home delivery. This is due to keeping them warm, but also crispy, non greasy ..etc - a real challenge? If anyone could come up with a solution for that, please contact us urgently.....
Thanks again

Reviewed 15 April 2015

Ended our 4 day trip to N. Yorks on Monday with a visit to Helmsley and opted to try Scott's for fish and chips rather than a 'posh' restaurant meal. Waitress was friendly, service efficient and most importantly the food was excellent - I decided to 'fill up' on a 'Moby dick' 14oz icelandic cod prior to my 2.5 hour drive home. This was huge, chunky thick fillet with fresh & tasty batter which unlike some restaurants was not greasy at all. Biggest fish I've ever been served and actually tasted better than the Icelandic cod I had in Iceland last month! Peas and chips good too. Price was fair - although only slight gripe is i think £1.20 for 1 slice of bread is pushing it a bit especially if you're already spending over 30 quid. Nonetheless, would definitely return when in area.good

Hello and thanks for the great comments,
You must have been hungry, the Moby Dick is a challenge!!
All our fish is Icelandic, all cut, prepared and cooked to order. This ensures thick, meaty flakes covered in crispy batter. Peas and chips also freshly made.
Take your point on the bread and we will look at that.
Delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2015 via mobile

Ordered a couple of portions of cod and chips. Lovely quality fish, nice batter and good chips; what more do you want from a fish and chip shop?!

1  Thank mmps
JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2015

Hello and thank you for the review,
You sum it up so well, what more do you want from a fish n chip shop.
It may appear easy to deliver, but I can assure it isn't that easy. Chef Shane and the team all work very hard everyday to ensure customers have the best experience.
Spread the word and come back soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2015

I was a member of the party that came to your restaurant on 07/04
The overall experience was disappointing. The restaurant had one other table occupied when we arrived. Another party of 4 arrived whilst we were there. As previously stated the salad arrived dressed when requested undressed, no tartare sauce brought and no bread to accompany the special. There was no staff presence apart from taking the order taking and delivery of food. It was noted that the bread had not been brought when the table near us received their’s, by this time my father in law was finishing his meal. A member of staff was notified and offered to bring it even though meal finished!! When the bill arrived there was no adjustment made as a gesture of goodwill.
In response to your comments Tony:
A complaint was made at the time, which resulted in 2 drinks being removed from the bill.
The food wasn't that bad, but the customer service was definitely lacking. This detracted from the whole experience.
The previous review is a review (customers opinion) As a business you should be able to take positive and negative feedback and act appropriately. The manner in which you do so also demonstrates your professionalism. It is extremely unfortunate that you are unable to accept a review and perhaps the opportunity to rectify the situation.
You have effectively called my Father in law a liar and accused him of intentionally damaging business when he was merely submitting a review.
Local people are valuable customers!

3  Thank ktur2015
JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2015

Hello,
Firstly, I have not accused any one of being a liar.
This web site is regularly subject to malicious reviews and we are on constant alert. As you can imagine, negative reviews can be very damaging.
We also get negative reviews, which could have been resolved by speaking up on the day.
In this case, clearly it is a genuine situation and if I have caused any offence or bad feeling, I apologise. That was not my intention.
We have a great team, a very good record and reputation and we are naturally defensive of that.
Having said that, we not infallible and we do make mistakes. If we do, we try and rectify them with a no quibble solution on the day. It seems we didn't do that either?
We do encourage feedback, both good and bad. This is the only way we can improve is to have that feedback and learn from it.
As you see on here, I personally respond to every review.
I have to say, that posting another negative review on here doesn't help and I would ask you to call the restaurant on 01439 772465 and leave your number and I will personally call yo, to try and resolve this satisfactorily.
Please accept my apologies again for any offence called and hope you are able to understand my position.
I look forward to speaking with you.