“Best fish and chips going.”
Review of Scotts of Helmsley

Scotts of Helmsley
Ranked #12 of 38 Restaurants in Helmsley
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A fabulous family friendly, award winning fish and chip cafe. Just voted Best Fish and Chip shop 2013. Either take away or eat in. With 80 covers there is plenty of room, coach parties welcome. We aim to provide the best fish and chips available from sustainable and local sources at a value price. Gluten free and veggie chip shop chips. Served with a smile. Our premises are not your usual fish and chip cafe and are a pleasurable and inspiring place to spend some time.
Reviewed 27 August 2015

On moving to Pickering in November 2014 I was so pleased to find a fish and chip shop that tasted like the fish I used to eat before I found out I was coeliac we are now regulars at Scotts and the friendly service from Lewis. Would recommend to any one who enjoys there fish and chips coeliac or not.

1  Thank bellabella702
JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2015

Hi and thanks for the review,
Great comments and exactly what we strive to deliver, each and every time.
Gluten free fish and chips available all day every day.
thanks again
Well done Lewis.

Reviewed 20 August 2015

Visited on a Wednesday teatime, takeaway was busy, service slow, but was really disappointed with my Haddock & Chips. Portion size good, fish 7/10 chips very poor (warm ups I suspect) over cooked & brown. Would expect fresh.

1  Thank DeeTeeYork

Hi and thanks for the review,
Clearly I'm disappointed with your comments, as that does not represent our normal standard. All food is cooked fresh and there is NO such thing as 'warm ups" .
Hope you try us again.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

Living locally I see Scott's advertised a lot in various publications, often boasting about awards and suchlike. Finally got around to visiting one Friday evening with my husband and daughter for tea.

We were welcomed into an almost empty restaurant and sat at a window table with only annoying flies for company. Our order was taken by one waitress and then our drinks and bread and butter was brought to the table by another waitress.
We enjoyed our pot of tea and our daughter enjoyed her cream soda. We got quite hungry so ate our bread and butter. Then we waited and waited patiently, jokingly saying they must be out catching the fish! 45 minutes approximately later, the first waitress appeared to clear away our plates and said "oh good, your table has been cleared already!" We all coroused " we haven't had it yet!"
Oh dear, shamefaced waitress had to dash off to the kitchen to get our food. When it was finally delivered by both waitresses it was partly the wrong order anyway but this was put right quickly.

Overall the meal was unexciting and uninspiring, with chips that weren't very nice on over-small plates. I hope our food hadn't been sat waiting to be taken to our table and then hastily heated up when the error was realised. I have a feeling this is what probably happened and if so, is completely unacceptable.

We got an apology for our long wait but being forgotten customers isn't a pleasant experience when you expect to be looked after well and are paying for a rare meal out. The restaurant wasn't in the slightest bit busy and I think the focus was on the take - away side of the business at the time which was hardly busy either!

This is my first and last visit to Scott's I'm afraid to say, not a positive experience.

2  Thank Joannepaws

Hello and thanks for the review,
Firstly, please accept my apologies and clearly an error was made on the day. That is not our normal standard.
We did have a sort burst of a rush in the takeaway, which took a member of staff away to assist in there exactly at the same time you were in the restaurant.
Regarding the food I am a little bit confused, as you ate it all and actually left a tip as you left, suggesting you were happy with the food, despite the wait?
As you say, apologies were made for the delay on the day and no charge made for the milk shake.
If it had been so bad, please do speak up at the time.
Negative reviews on here serve little purpose, other than to have a negative impact on the business and put jobs at risk.

Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

We were delighted with the staff ,especially Natalie who fried the best wheat free (gluten free) battered fish I had eaten to date. During our stay in the area for cycling , we visited Scott's on three separate occasions. Twice for take away and once in the restaurant. Added bonus, a choice of Wheat free cake ! Thank you Natalie for looking after me.

1  Thank Greyfergy
JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2015

Greyfergy,
Only three times, why not more?
Only joking of course, but fish n chips are a greta pre or pst bike ride food.
With gluten free available all day everyday.
Well done Natalie.

Reviewed 15 August 2015

Having read recent reviews I did wonder if I had visited the same cafe as other reviewers .

I knew in advance the price of haddock and chips in the cafe, £13.50 per meal, but for that price a did expect a full size portion of fish, instead we were each served the tail end of a larger fish, the chips were definitely not freshly cooked, perhaps this was because it was getting near to closing time.

Some years ago we visited Helmsley and ate in the Royal Oak pub, at that time they also served a fish and chip meal and the fish was a full side of fresh caught Whitby haddock, so large that it over hung the plate. This is what I was expecting at Scott's , for the size and quality of the food provided I would have thought £6.00 was enough to pay.

Today we have been to Haworth, another very popular tourist area, down by the station is the VERY BEST fish and chip shop ever. If they can serve a VERY large full side of perfectly cooked haddock and chips for £5.95 then I can only say that Helmsley likes to take advantage of its visiting tourists.

VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED.

1  Thank Bridget D

Hello and thanks or your review,
We certainly DO NOT take advantage of our customers and offer value for money across the restaurant menu and takeaway. M<any reviews make that point for me.
Fish and particularly Haddock is at all time high prices. We have not increased our prices since mid 2014, despite reducing margins.
All fish is sold by weight, not looks or size and our standard portions are 8oz. We cut large fillets on site and all are weighed to ensure correct portion size. This is for two reasons, one to ensure the customer gets value for money and secondly we are achieving the right yield from the fillets.
The fish is frozen at sea within one hour of being caught, so it is as fresh as you can get. And some 95% of all fish sold in UK is of this type.
The fresh Whitby fish you mention in Howarth will have been at least 4 - 8 days old by the time you ate it = NOT fresh at all? That offers no guarantee of consistent quality.

I keep saying this to negative reviewers, why did you not say something on the day? We would have rectified any issues and made you happy, NO QUIBBLE.
Negative reviews are damaging to the business, particularly when we try so hard and they put jobs at risk.