“Nice Looking, Shame about the taste!”
Review of Scotts of Helmsley

Scotts of Helmsley
Ranked #14 of 39 Restaurants in Helmsley
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A fabulous family friendly, award winning fish and chip cafe. Just voted Best Fish and Chip shop 2013. Either take away or eat in. With 80 covers there is plenty of room, coach parties welcome. We aim to provide the best fish and chips available from sustainable and local sources at a value price. Gluten free and veggie chip shop chips. Served with a smile. Our premises are not your usual fish and chip cafe and are a pleasurable and inspiring place to spend some time.
Reviewed 9 November 2015

We visited Scotts for a takeaway, both my Mum and myself ordered cod and chips, they were cooked to order and when they were packaged I noted that they looked delicious. We were on our way home from a holiday so chose to take them back to the car to eat them. We were so hungry, I had put salt and vinegar on both orders in the shop but both my Mum and I found ourselves putting more S & V on our meals as they lacked taste. The batter was very bland and tasteless, even more S & V did not improve the taste much, the chips looked nice and not over-cooked, however once we tucked into them we found some of them to be under-cooked and quite raw inside. I'm not a habitual complainer who likes to mark everyone down and will certainly give praise where it's due but this bland fish meal was not worth the money we paid for it, next time I would just stick to sandwiches when passing through. Sorry Scott's but I was hoping for better.

4  Thank stockmarketgirl
JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2015

Hello and thanks for your review,
I'm not sure what happened, as we have the same fish and potato suppliers. Same staff, in fact nothing has changed since all the positive reviews were made on here?
I 'm sorry you didn't experience our usual standard and hope you try us again.
You do say you are not a habitual complainer, but I note you have posted 3 reviews, 1 is rated average and the other 2 are poor?
Can't see any that are positive?

Reviewed 8 November 2015

We both had cod and chips with peas,and they were delicious!not greasy at all,the staff were very polite and attentive(Lewis and Mollie) we will recommend this place to our friends.

1  Thank IanBisset

Hello and thanks for the review,
All orders cooked fresh to ensure crisp batter, minimal grease and thick meaty, flaky white fish.
Served with big smiley faces.
Spread the word and come back soon.
Well done Lewis and Mollie.

Reviewed 5 November 2015

These people make the best gluten free fish and chips ever. I enjoyed them thoroughly and ate with confidence. I would recommend to anyone whether gluten free or not as the service is excellent. A must to buy before you leave is a jar of their own homemade tartar sauce which is the best. This experience has now spoilt me and I no longer want to eat fish and chips anywhere else!!!

1  Thank adele o

Hi Adele,
"Best ever" review, thank you.
GF fish n chips with home made tartar sauce - a great combination.
Looks like you may have to visit North Yorkshire more often?

Reviewed 3 November 2015

My husband and I had a meal here on a Friday evening and I would heartily recommend it. I had gluten free-battered cod and it was one of the best fish and chips I've had. Good mushy peas too. Welcoming staff and a great place to eat.

1  Thank Ruth A

Hi Ruth,
thanks for your "fantastic" review.
Proper battered fish n chips but Gluten free - a rarity in chippies, but we have it available all day everyday in both restaurants.
Mushy peas or Yorkshire Caviar as we know it are steeped overnight and made fresh daily.
Thanks again

Reviewed 2 November 2015

We have used Scotts of Helmsley many times and always had excellent service and food, the staff in the restaurant that day(Lewis and Becky) were as usual quick and courteous.

1  Thank Colin A

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the review.
Quality, value and service are our key values with a customer first priority.
Delighted you experience that each time you come in.
Well done Lewis and Becky.