“Room great, clean, good facilities...”
Review of YHA Helmsley

YHA Helmsley
York
“Room great, clean, good facilities...”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We were pleased to find this was a short walk from the market place as we came by bus. The staff are friendly and informative and lent us an os map for a walk (Rieveaux abbey, well worth a visit!).
Would stay again and recommend to others. Not sure about the breakfast, would make our own in future! Charred to a crisp veggie sausages! Paid for 5 but the vegetarians chose cereal.
All in all, being members, it's a no-brainer for a lovely Yorkshire break with kids which doesn't break the bank!

Stayed April 2014
HelmsleyManager, Manager at YHA Helmsley, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here at YHA Helmsley and that you would be happy to recommend the hostel to others. It's a fantastic area very popular with families and we are lucky to have many guests who return year after year. I'm sorry to hear that the vegetarians in your party didn't feel as though they were adequately catered for at breakfast. The selection of hot and cold items on the buffet breakfast is quite extensive; comprising juices, melon, grapefruit, fruits, yoghurts, cheeses, croissants, pain au chocolats, toast, preserves and unlimited tea and coffee. This is in addition to the cooked breakfast of hash browns, beans, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and sausage (bacon and pork sausage for non-vegetarians). Having cooked the breakfast on the morning of your departure I know that the vegetarian sausages weren't burnt to a crisp. I can only assume that you haven't had these textured protein chipolata sausages before, which unfortunately aren't as voluptuous as some others. Hopefully on your next visit you can try another variety that we also stock. These are a mixture of Caerphilly and Cheddar cheese, leek and cauliflower coated in breadcrumbs and are chunkier. It would be a shame if you didn't choose to eat with us again as the money helps to make an enormous difference by contributing towards the YHA's charitable objectives. We look forward to seeing you all again in the future.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed with 3 friends on a walking holiday. Room very cramped for 4 adults. The real problem though was the attitude & actions of the warden. The sign in the kitchen said no alcohol to be CONSUMED on the premises unless bought from YHA, so I placed my wine in the fridge to cool for the next day. It was removed by the warden who refused to return it until we left. I offered to put it in the car, but he said " I would just bring it back in again" effectively calling me a liar. He also said that he would ask me to leave if I continued to ask for it back. I contacted the police & they were amazed at his actions calling him awkward & "not very Helmsley" but could not help as he was going to return it. The wine was to celebrate my 70th birthday on the hills.Needless to say I have cancelled my membership for next year & most of my friends will be too.between us we have decades of membership.I sent a complaint to the YHA, but to date they have not replied.

Room Tip: Avoid if you want a reasonable sized room for 4 adults
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Brian B
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed here on day 2 of our coast to coast ride with 10 kids from school aged 13 and 14. Lovely hostel and very cosy, but the rooms were a bit too hot despite opening windows. Food was lovely and the staff were helpful and friendly. Comfortable lounge/dining area and book area that the children enjoyed playing in!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clifton
YHA Whitby
YHA Whitby
#3 of 52 in Whitby

Been to YHA Helmsley? Share your experiences!