“Spitting Feathers having been told lies about double booking”
Review of The Feathers Hotel

The Feathers Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Kent
“Spitting Feathers having been told lies about double booking”
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I booked two rooms at this hotel for Saturday night 6th March for my daughter and myself. We were traveling to Yorkshire to visit my husband's grave in Farndale.
When I arrived late on Saturday afternoon from Edinburgh I was told that we could not have the rooms as they had not finished decorating them [ this turned out to be a lie as people were in them] My daughter was on her way from Kent and was due in another hour or so. We were told that a message had been left on my phone. Obviously I wasn't there. We were offered two rooms in a local B&B which were totally unsuitable for that time of year. I knew none of the other hotels in Helmsley had rooms. I was then told that there were two rooms in another hotel but we would have to pay for them. I asked to speak to the manager and the junior receptionist who was trying to cope with this and cover for them went to get him and returned back without him to say that she thought it would be alright if we went to the other hotel and they would pay the difference. I felt sorry for her as she was fronting a situation where she was clearly out of her depth. By the time we got to the other hotel it was too late to get something to eat in Helmsley. So after us both having a very long journey we were left to manage for ourselves thanks to the incompetence of The Feathers. It was bad enough they had overbooked but for the manager not to even come and apologise and for us to have been told lies about the rooms was despicable.
I have previously stayed at The Feathers as well as other hotels in Helmsley but I most certainly won't risk booking it ever again.

Stayed March 2010
4 Thank enadow
yorkshiremanYork, Director at The Feathers Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Thank you for submitting a review. It is obviously disappointing for us that it is so unfavourable.

Addressing your points:
1) On the night in question we were decorating a bedroom and it was unavailable for guests. You and your daughter were the only guests staying one night (all the other guests were staying two nights or more). We booked you and your daughter into a well regarded B&B nearby. When you arrived you informed us that you did not wish to be in a B&B so, at your request, we moved you into another hotel.

2) You arrived at 5pm. We had no way of knowing what time you would arrive. The General manager was not in the hotel at this time and did not come on duty until 6pm, by which time you had left. He was therefore unable to see you. The receptionist has worked here for many years.

3) I note you were unable to get a meal: The hotel you moved to is less than 100 metres from The Feathers. You left the Feathers before 6pm. We served food until 9pm that night.

We are sincerely sorry that we had to move you and your daughter out of the hotel. It is something we do very rarely and is always regretable. It is sad when this causes so much upset, however we genuinely believe that we did the best we could in the curcumstances.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My friend and I both turned 40 earlier in the year and wanted a girly trip to celebrate. We had booked into the Verbena Spa at the Feversham Arms, but thought the actual hotel looked a bit 'stiff', so we booked into the Feathers instead. And we were so glad we did. Our room was in the main, older part of the hotel, with a lovely view overlooking the market square and castle. The room itself was a decent size but pretty 'no frills' with a tea/coffee tray and TV and not much else. The beds were comfy and there was plenty of hanging space (although why do hotels, regardless of standard, never seem to provide a hanger for outdoor coats? Who would want to hang a wet overcoat in the wardrobe along with their clothes?). The small en-suite bathroom was adequate, although lacking in shelving or storage of any kind for toiletries. There was the standard shower-over-the-bath (which was only 3/4 size) set up but, unbelievably, no shower curtain! And the shower head didn't have a wall attachment, so you would have to stand in the bath and try to wash your body/hair whilst holding the shower head whilst trying not to soak the bathroom floor.
Anyway, these annoyances aside (and the reason I only scored the rooms a 3), we had a fab time. The staff are fantastic. Really friendly and welcoming, always ready with a smile and a joke. Don't expect the reverence or supercilious airs of the waist-coated staff at the Feversham (more to come!). These are proper Yorkshire folk who give you a proper Yorkshire welcome. The food was home-cooked, great value and quite delicious, reflected in the fact that the restaurant and bar were jumping every evening with locals and guests alike. Dinner is only served until 8.30pm, but we would book a table for about 8pm and we never felt rushed. We wished we could've stayed longer just to work our way through the Specials board, as we seemed to be doing a sterling job of working our way through the hotels stock of rose wine!
Breakfast was hearty and freshly cooked (hurrah! - a hotel that serves a freshly fried egg with a runny yolk!), although I admit the coffee could do with being upgraded from the old-fashioned 'filter' style.
We spent one day on the 'Pamper Me Twice' package at the Verbena Spa, which was simply heavenly. We were wrapped and rubbed and pummelled and massaged until virtually comatose. I've had facials before, but not like this! Those therapists are oil-wielding deities! I just hope I didn't snore! The afternoon tea was sublime, accompanied by a glass of champagne. I would definitely reccommend this package to anyone, and the girls at the Spa really know how to make you feel like a Queen for the day.
The Spa is entered through the reception of the Feversham Arms hotel. However, the receptionists looked right at us and didn't even acknowledge us at all when we walked in. Their noses were so high we could see their sinuses! Maybe they thought we were plebs because we were not staying there. Of course, we had a nosey round the Feversham, and although beautifully done, there is a stuffiness to it. We had a taster of how good the food would be at afternoon tea, but I could imagine the dining room being like a mausoleum, all subdued conversations and hushed tones.
So we were quite relieved that we chose the Feathers. OK, the rooms aren't plush and its a little rough around the edges, but we're planning on making this trip an annual event, so that says a lot. Stay at The Feathers and 'appen tha'll be reight chuffed!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank chakelski
Durham, UK
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Decided to book The Feathers after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and have to say that we were slightly disappointed. We booked a superior room, which was quite spacious and had a lovely big bathroom. The room was clean other than for quite a big stain on the carpet next to the bed. The most disappointing aspect was breakfast the first morning of our stay, which we suspected had been warmed in the microwave. The toast was cold and rubbery. However, this could have been due to the chef not being there because the following morning breakfast was completely different and was freshly cooked. The staff were all lovely and friendly and very helpful. Dinner was very nice indeed. Good choice of menu and lovely tasty food with good sized portions. The second night of our stay was slightly disturbed by people leaving a party at the hotel - they seemed to have had a very good time judging by their singing! Also woken quite early by delivery vans arriving. Overall we found The Feathers to be a very friendly place but probably wouldn't stay again. Would definitely go back for a meal though!

• Stayed July 2009
Derbyshire, UK
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We booked a superior room (23 I think) for £95 a night B&B for 2 nights. The room looked great with a huge bed, modern decor and a good shower room. We found the shower looked great but was actually pretty poor due to low water pressure and the little nipples pointing the water in all directions apart from your head:-) We slept really well on the huge bed until 0430 - 0500 ish when we were woken up woken by the load chatter by staff arriving, doors slamming , vehicles reversing and offloading barrels etc - it was impossible to get back to sleep so we were dog tired both days we were in Helmsley. I think 2 superior rooms will be affected by the loading area - rooms 22 and 23, the others should be fine.... .

The hotel breakfast is better than many places with a choice of items from a full English menu plus cereal, toast, juice and tinned grapefruit. The coffee is good too as they have a filter machine. The fried breakfast is far from the best we've had but perfectly ok! We had dinner in the hotel too, for pub food is is ok but a bit pricely really for what it is.

The hotel does have about 6 parking spaces around the back of the hotel which is great for security.

Helmsley is a great base for a few days in this part or Yorkshire, the locals are really friendly and there is plenty to do:-)

I would suggest this hotel to friends but would recommend getting a room in the main building - much cheaper than the superior rooms too! .

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 4 June 2009

We have stayed at this hotel before but without 'the children'. This time we stayed in room 21 which was sold as a family room. It was excellent and our little boy who is five thought it was brill! I don't think I have stayed in a family room as large. Behind the room door was your own little entrance hall, a massive bathroom, ideal for a family, a large double room, nicely decorated, and then a seperate room with bunkbeds simply decorated for the little ones. The only negative was that the tv didn't have a reception. This was not an issue as we were not staying in the room long enough to let it bother us. There is a typical bar area and a quieter restaurant area. The Staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was lovely. The last time we stayed here, last year, we ventured out of the hotel to eat elsewhere in the evening but returned after a short time to sample their food, which was excellent too. I would definately stay here again and I would definately recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Scarborough, England
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We were greeted at reception by a woman who kept calling me: "Sweetheart," slipping the word into every sentence. I've reached the age at which I prefer basic courtesy to instant familiarity, so that wasn't a good start.

The room (number 6), we were told in advance, was small, so we expected nothing more, but it was fine. I've stayed in smaller rooms in a Holiday Inn.

This is an old building, and the room had been partitioned in a very amateurish way. No attempt had been made to secure the bottom edge of the sliding door to the toilet/shower room, so it tended to swing out alarmingly at times.

The furniture was cheap but functional, and the bottom 20cm of the curtains were piled on the floor because no one could be bothered to turn them up. The radiator was in a recess behind the curtain, so we had to pile up the curtain behind it to allow us to heat the room.

The detailed criticisms above are not intended to be a deterrent - we paid £50 for bed and breakfast, and we had a functional, comfortable room.

We went out for a meal and took a local supermarket's bargain bottle of wine back to the room to enjoy drinks and chocolate in bed in front of the television.

On our return, we saw a member of the kitchen staff leaving the hotel's front door while wearing badly stained whites. I thought the whole point of whites was that their use was confined to the kitchen, so that dirt and pollution from outside was not brought in on top clothes.

Full English breakfast was excellent, including back bacon, a good quality sausage (pretty rare nowadays) and generous scarmbled egg, but was let down by cheap and nasty catering baked beans.

The buffet offered tinned grapefruit segments and a good selection of cereals. The coffee was either supermarket instant or such a poor grind that it wasn't worth the effort.

Our breakfast server was very pleasant and polite.

Very good value and we'd be happy to return.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
chester uk
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Went with 2 friends plus my hubby to North York for a 3 day weekend. Arrived at the Feathers to discover the Hotel is a lot bigger than meets the eye, with nice touches like real open log fire.Checked into our economy room whilst friends opted for the slightly more expensive deluxe. Comparring the rooms was pleasing-both rooms clean and more than suitable, and would even say value for money. Food-good, and very busy. Menu had plenty of choices and catered for friends vegetarian needs whilst plenty of meat choices for the men!!Staff friendly, helpful and seem to work well together. Helmsley is a busy little town over the weekend then Monday quite quiet,but plenty to do if into walking,sightseeing etc. Will definetly visit again and am now on the mailing list for future "Feathers Deals".

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
The Talbot Hotel Malton
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 20 in Whitby

Been to The Feathers Hotel? Share your experiences!