“Birthday dinner in the Dales”

Hendersons Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 34 Restaurants in Leyburn
Price range: US$13 - US$63
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Perth, Australia
“Birthday dinner in the Dales”
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We visited Hendersons Bistro last weekend for my dad's birthday and it was wonderful. The service was great, really friendly staff and the food was outstanding - as was the delicious red wine. The quality of food was definitely on a par with a 4 or 5* star restaurant - I had seabass and it was so flavoursome and perfectly cooked. We had a really lovely evening and would go back in a second - not at all what you might expect for a caravan park but definitely the standard and quality that other sites in the UK should aspire to be like.

UK
“Excellent welcome and very good food”
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Went to this restaurant following a recommendation. We were very surprised to find a restaurant that offered the level of dining that Hendersons Bistro offered in such a tucked away location. We very very impressed with the level of service and staff, the food was magnificent and really made our weekend away. The food was easily on a par with the Wenselydale Heifer (visted the night before) but a lot more reasonable.

canterbury
“Superb Meal In A Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed 22 January 2010

While visiting friends in the dales we were taken to Hendersons for dinner. It was a revalation. The last time that we were in the dales we went to the Wensleydale Heifer on their reccommendation but we were left disappointed and hoped that this wouldnt be in a similar vein. When we went in we were met by a smiling young lady who asked us for drinks and whether we were booked in, which we were. After recieving our drinks we were presented with the menu which was quite concise; 6 starters & 6 Mains plus a selection of specials which I understand change daily. I decided to order the slow roast belly pork & scallops with crushed peas for a starter and ribeye steak with bone marrow.When we had ordered I was pleasantly surprised to recieve a complementary selection of bread, olives, balsamic and oil. I thought that this was a great idea, it kept the four of us entertained while we chatted over a drink. We were then asked to be taken to the table where we were seated. The restaurant is situated behind a large decorative fireplace which is the centrepiece of the restaurant. It was warm and modern and quite comfortable for the 4 of us. My starter came and was beautifully presented, on a rectangular plate, it was delicious the scallops were perfectly cooked and acted as a perfect foil for the belly pork, had I not been in company i would have quite probably licked the plate! When my main course came it was presented on a large round plate with a delightful garnish of parsley and cooked red onion and a chunk of bone marrow with a teaspoon standing in it. The steak was wonderful, fantastically tender, cooked superbly and accompanied by a generous bowl of homemade chips. Sensational! I asked my friends why they didnt send us here last time we stayed in the dales, but apparently they hadnt realised it was here until a friend of theirs reccomended the place. For my dessert there was a selection of cheeses that was too much to resist. About 20 to choose from and all accompanied with a tasting notes to make it easier or quite possibly harder to decide! I had 4 cheeses; Manchego, Wensleydale, Yorkshire Blue and Dolcelate. These were attractively presented with an artfully sliced apple, homemade chutney, water biscuits and butter. A pleasant end to a lovely meal. It cost us around £160 for four of us including drinks. Which seemed to me good value. Next time I am in the dales I will make sure to visit Hendersons again. Sensational, and for me should definately be busier than it is. A hidden gem.

oxford
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not bad”
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Went there for lunch, deadly quiet, pleasant service, starters ok, mains disapointing, puds nice, last review compared to Wensleydale Heifer, not really in the same league

UK
“Best food in the area by far”
Reviewed 12 September 2009

Hendersons is a really relaxed and friendly place to eat. Having sampled the other restraurants in the area, all of which have been good, Hendersons definately has the edge. The surroundings are great and the staff are very knowledgable about the food they are cooking and serving. Having eaten at some really good restraunts around the world, the Crispy Wild Boar Belly and Scallops is one of the nicest things I have ever tasted and would make the 300 mile trip to sample that again. Mandy who runs the front of house is a real star and the chef Gavin clearly has a real passion for food. The seafood is to die for and has to be said is slightly better than the Wensleydale Heiffer which is famous for its seafood.
There is an early bird menu which at £19 for 3 courses is excellent value for money even considering they put a lot of items from the main menu onto it.
Would I recommend Hendersons. Without a second thought. And I will be going back.