“Great food, average service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 32 Restaurants in Leyburn
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great food, average service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We visited on a Friday night. Having read the reviews on here we were expecting good food and average service and that's exactly what we got! Couldn't fault our meals. Service was polite but fairly slow even though it wasn't busy and even the lady who appeared to be the manager was more interested in looking out of the window than making eye contact while serving us. We really are not picky customers but do appreciate friendly service. As the food was good it wouldn't stop us going back, but it did stop us tipping.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Hills2013

York, United Kingdom
“A good local meeting place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

The staff are very friendly (especially Tanya) and we always get good service. On some occasions the filter coffee could be hotter but they are always happy to replace.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Steve D
“Food yes, service no!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We decided to call in for a late lunch after a drive around the dales. We got seated without any acknowledgement from the staff. The atmosphere was welcoming, clean and cool from the sunny day outside. I went to order; the waitress was taking an evening booking. Once she finished the call, she continued to make additional notes in the dairy and tidy up round, only after I caught her eye did she just looked and said ‘I’ll be with you in a minute’ and continued to tidy. When ordering I was informed then what they were out of, which meant a snap decision had to be made as she had already had half our order in the till. It would have been nice if staff had told us earlier what they had sold out of.
When food arrived it came in a timely fashion and was presently lovely. Flavours of the wild mushroom pasta were fantastic and it was a meal I really enjoyed. The chicken burger once again had lots of flavour with a really good presentation and had a really good reception from my friend who decided for this meal.
Once again thought this was let down by staff as we didn’t see them for the entirety off the meal. Not once did someone come back to us and ask if we were happy with everything. We sat enjoying our drinks with empty plates for over 15 minutes. No one was to be seen to clear plates for us or offer any more drinks or deserts. I would understand if this was at the height of food service but being one of three tables in the building it was disappointing that staff had a complete disregard for customers. When coming to pay we arrived back at the till and once again staff never questioned if we had enjoyed ourselves or if everything was ok. It was a very here you payment now give me your money attitude, which was disappointed after such lovely food.
I would try again as I was happy with the food, but I would hope an improvement on customer service would be looked into. I do realise this is a small cafe, but a pleasant and caring staff do go along way.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank MzTitch
Yorkshirewoman
“Lovely meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've eaten here only once and in view of the unprepossessing exterior was impressed with the quality of the food and would be happy to go again, though not for a romantic evening.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Patricia T
York, United Kingdom
“Poor service, food not good, nothing good to say about my visit!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My visit was on a very wet and windy Saturday afternoon and I feel 'wet and windy' is a good description for this place on this day. Staff not very welcoming, not giving good service. I only placed an order for 1 x tea, 1 x ice cream, 1 x coke and 2 home made biscuits. Was given half melted ice cream and some 15 minutes later when I chased the rest of the order, they had clearly forgotten all about it. The biscuits - well they may have been home made, but the baking had clearly taken place several days earlier. Terrible. Cup for the tea was dirty and the staff seemed simply fed up when I complained.
The place was busy and did look understaffed. Lots of other places to choose in Leyburn and this will be avoided by me in the future.

• Visited July 2014