“Decent Lunch on a busy day”
Review of Sandpiper Inn

Sandpiper Inn
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Leyburn
Price range: US$1 - US$59
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Visited Leyburn on a busy Saturday and really liked the look of this place. It was busy but staff were friendly and we found a seat outside. Just ordered a few drinks and light lunch of Sausage and Mash, as well as a Haddock Omelette.

There was nothing wrong with the food but for the price it was distinctly average.

1  Thank aniceglassofred

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Very helpful staff, very good food and at a reasonable price. Well worth a visit though you should book if you're going on a Saturday evening to be sure of a table.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and i visited friday 4th,we were in leyburn for the "tour de yorkshire" it was booked 4 months previous.we were greeted well,shown our seats where i chose goats cheese starter and rib eye steak medium rare.my wife ordered soufle' and crispy oriental duck and a £25 bottle of malbec.the starters came they were good,wouldnt say presented fantastic but none the less tasted nice.
After we had finished we then had our mains brought.My wifes was a crispy duck leg with oriental veg and sauce.it looked nice and tasted nice too.My steak was presented on a wooden platter with a cup of chips,a small mound of lettuce,and a sauce.The rib eye was about half the size of a mans hand the the thickness of a flip flop.We started to eat and although the steak was juicy it was medium.After a minute my wife called over the waitress and i said i was sorry but the steak was overcooked.The waitress asked if i would like something else to which i replied another steak would be fine.
After a few minutes my new steak arrived,the waitress said she would wait to see if it was ok.i cut into it and it was pretty much the same as before but didnt want to seem predantic so i said it was fine.I think because the steak was so thin and small it had carried on cooking when they had let it rest.it was still moist and tasty,but at £22 for a rib eye it was very poor in presentation,size and overpriced in my opinion.We asked for the bill which was £80 for the wine,starter and main.
i went to pay, and the man in front of me was asked how his meal was to which he replied excellent thanks,to which she replied good im glad you enjoyed your meal.i presented my bill and the lady asked for the amount,no pleasantrie or enquirery about my meal.We went to the bar and i asked for change for a £10 note,i asked the bar manager to keep £5 for the staff and i enquired who the lady was who took my payment,to which he replied that she was the owner.She then walked behind the bar as i said to the barmanager,"its amazing how the gentleman in front of me paying was asked how his meal was,because he had no fault with it,yet the lady didn,'t ask how mine was because she knew i had sent my meal back,it is totally unacceptable and unproffesional to not ask how my meal was when she knew full well it wasnt right.she was happy to take the compliments,but not constructive critisism,but i suppose with the tour being on customers were 10 a penny this weekend."The bar manager appolagised ,to which i replied it wasnt his fault and that i visit leyburn on a regular basis but would not be using the sandpiper again and left.
It did spoil my night at £22 for a rib eye,poorly presented and cooked incorrectly,it left me feeling like it was just "make hay while the sun shines" customer!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The food was excellent and beautifully presented. The staff were welcoming and friendly. We are still talking about it a week later. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Not been here for many years and it appears to have gone more upmarket but lost a certain ambiance as a result. Yes food was fine, seating a little cramped, came back as we recalled a fab meal many years ago- this time was not quite as memorable. Saying that still very good just not quite getting those 5 stars of other places we went to on this holiday

1  Thank Lulu2010186338