Marton Arms Hotel
US$185
US$148
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
The Whoop Hall(Kirkby Lonsdale)
US$114
US$127
Old Brewery Inn(Ingleton)
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsthe pubunder new managementposter bedevening mealreal aleboth morningslog firelast weekendsteak and ale pietwo nightsexcellent foodlots of characterfull englishlovely locationstayed one nightcooked to perfectioncouldn't do enough
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Booked this last minute for our wedding anniversary as a treat ..... Therefore paid top wack for a room that wasn't really worth the money .... it had a brass (?) four poster but wasn't dressed as a four poster , just had a bit of flimsy material top and bottom . The room door was propped open with a dining chair when we were shown there , possibly to hide the musty smell of the bathroom . This was a disabled bathroom / wet room . The whole room needed an up grade very dark and dingy . We joked that it was home from home for my husband as he works in a nursing home !!! I used the bathroom to find we had no towels at all , there were tea and coffee facilities and one packet of biscuits , we would have liked glasses for water in the night but there were none . Breakfast was a bit hit and miss , the people on the next table sent their coffee back just as mine arrived as it was too weak , low and behold mine was like dish water and had to go back !! My breakfast was nicely cooked and very tasty , but my husbands of smoked Haddock and poached eggs had to go back as the Haddock was raw ...... It was returned with fresh cooked fish and fresh eggs . We did eat in the restaurant and had a very nice steak so would recommend the evening food there ........... The location was very good for a quiet weekend away ....... am unsure if I would return .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank holidaymaker008
Manager M, Manager at Marton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not like the bedroom that was allocated to you. This bedroom is one of the bedrooms we get a lot of feedback from, some being really positive and others being negative, I can only put this down to personal taste. I am aware that some of the bathrooms / bedrooms do need updated and this is work in progress. I have made a note of your comments about the glass ware in the bathrooms and going forward and there are now glasses in all of the rooms. In regards to your comments regarding the morning coffee, this is something that requires training which I have arranged with our local coffee supplier. It is your valuable feedback that helps us to positively move our business forward. I am pleased that you liked the location and that you enjoyed your evening food. I very much hope that you will return to the hotel in the future. Kind regards
Lesley, Matt and Team

Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We walked to the Marton Arms in mid-winter storm and gales so its warm fire, good selection of ales and large clean room with bountiful hot water and power shower and comfy bed was much appreciated.
It was averagely busy but staff seemed a little runoff their feet - I enjoyed filling the woodburner but a bit annoying our spinach pasta came out with no spinach..
But overall a great place to stay in quiet pretty village just outside Ingleton.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you kindly for your valued comments with regards to your stay at The Marton Arms Hotel.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.
Regards
Lesley, Matthew and Team

Reviewed 31 July 2013

My sister and I stayed here for one night on a short break driving through the magnificent Yorkshire Dales. Since I now live abroad and don't get to England too often, a stay in a country pub was high on my list. I was not disappointed, a great charm about the place, a few Real Ales, lovely views of the church opposite or the lovely green hills, good food (I had the Lamb Shank and my sister had a huge home-made burger) as well as friendly staff all made for a great short break. Thanks to all.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind commets. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Regards
Lesley, Matthew and Team

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We discovered this pub on a break in Ingleton last November, then it was a log fire wintery warm pub and this weekend it was a lovely summertime retreat.

We had a 2 night stay here from Friday 19th July. Checked in at the bar and was taken to the room by the friendly young lady behind the bar. Our room overlooked the garden at the back. The room was large and very clean. We'd prepaid for a voucher at the end of last year on the North Country Inns website, so we spent £100 for 2 nights B&B, very impressed with this as there were no silly t's&c's stopping us use the voucher at bank holidays etc.

Having stayed at another North Country Inns pub, the Brackenrigg Inn a few years earlier and been given a tiny room with a tiny a bed, we did wonder if we would receive similar accommodation as we were on a discounted rate. From having looked at the website, I think there are rooms with four posters and wet rooms, we didn't get one of those but that was no problem as our room was really good.

Breakfast is served in a room across the front courtyard, which was nice as it wasn't in the main pub part of the building. We had full English both mornings and they were served promptly on both mornings and set us up for the day, what more could you ask?

We ate there on the Friday night and I can recommend the fish & chips! Served on paper and a large portion, the burger went down a treat at our table too. I appreciate this is standard pub fayre and there is more to choose from on the menu, but they did these 2 staples very well.

Saturday evening we ate out as they couldn't fit us in for a few hours when we asked at 7pm. That said, as we went to leave and walk into Ingleton another couple had just walked in and were told that they would be able to have food at 7:30?! Not sure if we were being penalised for not having listened to the managers warning that afternoon to book in early. It's a shame as the scallop special starter looked lovely!

All in all it was a very pleasant pub stay, the staff were lovely the whole break and we will definitely stay again.

If you are lucky enough to go when the sun is shining take your swimsuit as the open air pool in Ingleton is a novelty, it was packed when we went but still it was nice to be in the fresh air swimming in the North West!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Our staff constantly strive to maintain and improve standards for our valued customers. Recognition for our efforts in achieving this is as much appreciated as is insight into how we can continue to exceed the standards we set.
On behalf of all the team at the hotel, we thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Regards Lesley, Matthew and Team

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in May on a deal through North Country Inns. If this establishment is part of a chain, they need to take a serious look at their quality control processes.
For a start, we arrived at 8.0pm after a difficult journey because the main road from Carnforth to Ingleton was closed. We had eaten at lunch time and just wanted a sandwich or some sort of bar meal but that turned out to be too much to ask once the restaurant service had started.
Our room was tired, but comfortable, but it overlooked the garden used as overflow from the bar-restaurant, so noisy until chucking-out time. Breakfast was OK as long as you're not looking for continental, but my wife was a bit surprised to find a cold hollandaise on an order of eggs benedict and the service was the sort you might expect from an amiable but untrained amateur. We booked for dinner in the restaurant on our second night, turned up at the appointed time, stood waiting to be shown to our table and were ignored by bar manager (who had taken our oringinal booking) and the waitress (clearly overworked that night and still cross about it when she was on breakfast duty the next morning) while another couple who arrived a full 5 minutes later were dealt with. The food, when it eventually arrived, again was OK, but not worth its high-end price tag. We weren't tempted to stay for a dessert and we won't be going back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple