“Glencot House, I'll never forget our stay!”
Review of Glencot House - CLOSED

Glencot House
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here with my very long term partner in January 2011 (although Trip Advisor won't let me go back that far) for what I had no idea at the time would be our last proper Anniversary.. Like the hotel, that relationship has now closed. What a fabulous place. We had the hotel completely to ourselves, which was a wonderful treat. The staff made us feel as if it were our own property. There was an eclectic and rather bizarre mix of books, stuffed animals in bell jars and dusty antiques quite packed in to the corridors and other places. One felt like it was a real home, but owned by someone from the Victorian era, despite the Jacobean facade.
I have fond memories of the place, the little river, the outdoor grand piano complete with candelabra, and shall treasure for ever the pictures I took of the chandeliers hanging from the trees, slightly rusty, and the large bird cage complete with incumbent parrot.
The cinema in the basement was another weird and wonderful touch... together with the somewhat temperamental plumbing.
Couldn't fault the food either. I think they served the entire complement of food to the two of us. We were more than replete!
I loved that place, and was very sad to leave.. The current owners are most fortunate, as had I the cash, I would have purchased the place myself.
I love gargoyles. I remind myself of that when I look at pictures of my partner in the grounds.

2  Thank Die_Hexe_The_Witch

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We've had some brilliant lunches here, in wonderful grounds with house packed with antiques and oddities. Such a shame that it has been sold and is now a private house.

2  Thank Rose1111
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Glencot house was sold in 2011 and no longer run as a hotel and restaurant. A great shame as their Sunday lunch was the best value and quality for miles around.

4  Thank adfbristol
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I got married here in 2010 and loved every second of being in that building. I am devestated that they have decided to sell .... hopefully we will make it to their Cornwall version in the coming years ...

1  Thank TeamHLondon
Reviewed 4 October 2010

The best thing about this restaurant is the setting. It's located in an old house that is crammed full of antiques, photographs, stuffed animals and ornaments. You get the run of the property and it's great to have a look around after your meal and take a walk around the lovely grounds.

The food is good, but a little overpriced. The staff are excellent.

1  Thank alicia148