“Just about does”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wookey Hole
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Just about does”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

As we wanted to visit Wookey Hole and surrounding areas this hotel seemed to be the obvious choice. Enough car parking (free) was on offer (we arrived after Wookey Hole had shut for the day) but daytime the place seemed to be packed. Check-in was, to be blunt, pretty poor in my book. Having driven for 4 hours and paid a princely sum, I don't expect to be kept waiting while the receptionist come bar person serves people in the bar. It was a good 5 minutes and yes, she might have said she wouldn't be long. But sorry, well over 5 minutes to get checked-in with no queue (at first) at the check in desk is way too long. More staff required.

The room located on the first floor was very much reminiscent of a Premier Hotel room with facilities much the same. Yes, maybe adequate but for the money I'd have expected more. I did sleep well so at least the bed was comfy. A bigger TV would have been nice. 22" is fine for close up but when you're across the room the smallish screen size really does matter.

Breakfast (a walk away over in Captain's Jack) was sort of ok. Not great or special, just OK. And it isn't a help yourself to whatever takes your fancy either. Reception at this time (8.30am) seemed to have gained an extra person. However nothing is guaranteed. The following day, we checked out at 10am, only to find one person on duty and she was busy helping someone make a booking on the phone. Another wait of 5 or so minutes. And by that time I wasn't the only one hanging around. Will I come back............ I don't think so.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the witches hat, which was on 2 floors, clean and modern plenty of towels.

We are in captain jacks restaurant for breakfast , that's ok but we didn't fancy the menu for the night or lunch. Will definitely stay here again it a fantastic base to stay in

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Sam K
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights for a family break to visit the wookey caves attraction too. The hotel was clean and modern, the check in and out was ok, and the prices were as cheap as we could find for us. The only problem is that the restaurant for the breakfast was a short walk away across the car park and over a road (that the staff didn't explain properly on our first morning so we had to wonder around until we found someone that directed us). The walk isn't bad when sunny, but if it were raining could potentially be a nightmare.
All in all I would stay there again, happy with our stay and service and prices but marked it down a star for the restaurant being in a different building.
Also, it prides itself on being a child friendly hotel but in the room that we stayed in there was no window safety stoppers on the windows and a bed underneath them.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for one night after attending a concert nearby. It cost us £85 as a couple.
It's very similar in style to Premier Inn and the room was very clean - spotless in fact.
Check-in/check-out was friendly enough and efficient. However, the bed was far too hard for us and we had a poor & uncomfortable night's sleep.
The hotel is quite noisy - we requested a quiet room and I suppose we had one of the quieter rooms although there was still a lot of noise from people arriving/waiting at the attraction entrance outside as well as loud conversations held in the corridor outside our room (other guests, I think).
Would I stay here again? Maybe under similar circumstances, but only if I had no other option. (We had originally tried to book a Premier Inn but it was full up.)

1 Thank Traveller1_London
Beds, UK
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I suppose it's all about standards. I cannot believe that they charged us, a couple, £100 per night for this place. Before coming we read the reviews and the vast majority were favourable. The place is very like a Premier Inn and should have a tariff to match this quality. Each room is basic and similarly styled much in the same format as a Premier Inn.

The breakfast which is included in the £100 is awful. It does not taste good though I saw many people wolfing it down. The restaurant is a short walk away from the hotel and the tables are sticky. It is as much as you want to eat but we ate very little of it having tasted it. We are here for two nights but won't be going for the breakfast on the second morning.

The bed is rick hard and Verny uncomfortable. I cannot describe it any better than that. You'll see what I mean when you try it. The sheets and pillow cases are obviously cheap. They are of a very rough material. In the end I had to put a T shirt on top of the pillow just to get a bit more comfortable but the rest of the bed was still ugh!

As I said earlier it's all about standards. Having read the reviews I see a couple more negative ones have appeared in the last few days. I'm in a minority obviously but if you want comfort, a good breakfast and value for money, this place is not for you, or me.

It's very close to the Wooky Hole attraction for kids and that probably is what appeals to the masses.

2 Thank AVB99
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I never thought I would stay in a hotel that combined witches, cheese, caves, dinosaurs and pirates in to a theme park haha but it was a great place :) The room was a great size, meals were awesome, and the 'theme park' was so much fun. Actually regret we were only there overnight! Make sure you buy some cave cheese and watch out for the Witch of Wookey!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Solihull
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Given as a present to us. Great overnight stay, fantastic day, friendly helpful staff and a relaxed atmosphere. Would recommend getting there early as caves are first and it's a one way system. The queue was quite long when we came out of caves but it was moving quickly. We went to Wells on the evening which is beautiful. The summer package was a present to us and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014
Premier Inn Glastonbury Hotel
Meare Manor
Meare Manor
#4 of 5 in Glastonbury

Been to Wookey Hole Hotel? Share your experiences!