“A little disappointed...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Wookey Hole B&B and Inns
Chigwell, United Kingdom
“A little disappointed...”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Don't get me wrong the rooms were nice enough, but we arrived to find out that not only did the restaurant close at 5pm (we must have missed this on the booking website we fount it on) but so did the bar, and were told "well you are in Somerset" yet there were many other places open (none so close unfortunately) and it was a bank holiday weekend. So as a result, once we'd eaten elsewhere (had to pay £11.70 each way in a cab which took us about 5 mins up the road, (I guess that was outsiders prices as we were advised it would be a lot cheaper) we went back to one of the rooms just to play cards, not noisily at all, we may have all laughed at the same time once though, and evidently the person we presumed to be the live in security guard upstairs (who I must add is like an elephant stomping around all the time, woke up to that a couple of times) did not like this at 9.30 or 10pm as he banged very loudly on the floor 3 times to discourage us... Sorry for laughing in a room we paid for!!! So beware if you stay in room 1, you may have a loud resident who expects silence in return. Breakfast on the other hand was very nice!

Room Tip: Avoid room below the security guard...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kayleigh_Kevin_85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have been going to the Wookey for the past 5 years and can 100% say I've never had anything but fantastic service and fantastic food, the menu incorporates many different dishes with specials which change on a daily basis ensuring no matter what you fancy there is something delicious available. Rich and Loz are very friendly and welcoming and look after you exceptionally well.

• Stayed March 2014
somerset uk
Reviewed 19 April 2014

It was a bit of a wait for the food BUT it was well worth the wait! My chicken in herbs marinade with sweet potato chips with lemon mayo, was LOVELY- and it was gluten free! VERY tasty and I will definitely have to go back for more, at a future date!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nikki E
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Went for lunch for a family birthday. Eclectic decor inside. Tables have paper cloths, and crayons. Fun for all ages. Service friendly, but perhaps a little slow. But food worth wait, and suspect wait was to make it so good. Great burgers, with skin on chips. Tasty chicken, truly wonderful old fashioned beef and onion pie, and excellent steak. Puddings artistic and tasty, especially date and pecan pie and ginger and treacle tart. Spun sugar decoration a nice touch. Lovely leisurely lunch. Car park small, but you can park in the wookey hole car park opposite.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have been here quite a few times now, and decided to take my friend for my birthday. We arrived early on the Saturday morning greeted by the very friendly staff and soon settled in, we decided to go off to Bristol for the day, we returned in the evening the place was buzzing so warm and friendly (the addition of the two new log burners helped) The menu had changed and there was so many thigs I fancied but decided to go for the Tiger Prawns with the seet chilli dip, Cod and fish cake, followed by the infamous and my favourite Hot date and pecan pudding, toffee sauce & clotted cream. The food it Michelin Star Quality and their Sunday Roasts to die for. Needless to say I will be going back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Southampton
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for just one night. I must say that I am confused by the feedback on here and the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2013. I wouldn't say that the scores give a fair reflection of what to expect. Indeed I would say that mid range scores would be more truthful.

The Staff were very friendly, helpful and properly attentive.

The Decor is a little tired and dated, threadbare carpets set the tone perfectly. It is also confused in terms of any styling or theme. Our room was clean, although I hadn't read the negative reviews on here before visiting and so cannot confirm the state of mattresses etc. There was a musty odour to the whole building, it is an old building though!

The Restaurant was a little on the cold side, although the log burner had been lit, the radiators were off. Food was of average quality and of high price for the quality.

Breakfast was different, never had a "Buffet" breakfast quite like it. It was adequate, but as other reviewers have noted I would have hoped for a little more for the money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mimi-and-YouYou
Modbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We were staying at the Wookey Hole Hotel across the road and an old Lonely Planet recommended this place. They squeezed us in on a Saturday night and made us feel very welcome. We had 2 kids with us who ate from the excellent kids menu and we had 3 courses from the main menu. All the food was better than good. Some of it was really great. The kids were made to feel really at home (given sweets and balloons by the staff). The interior is quirky and relaxed. We would definitely recommend to families (they gave the kids crayons to draw on the paper table cloth).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Travelodge Glastonbury
#2 of 5 in Glastonbury
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Best Western The Webbington Hotel and Spa

Been to The Wookey Hole Inn? Share your experiences!