“How things change. . . .”

The Pheasant Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Wookey
Price range: US$6 - US$23
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Home!
“How things change. . . .”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I had been to the Pheasant several times when run by Dean & Emma - great welcome, good food. Went there May 2008 and found that it was Italian. Asked if there was any possibility of a table and the english waiter made us feel as if people who turn up without booking are idiots who deserve to be not allowed to eat - no "sorry, we're full", no "there'll be a table in (whatever) would you like to wait". Instead we went to the pig roast in a nearby village and had a great time.
Won't dream of going back until there's new ownership!

1 Thank PeeWee_in_Italy

Bristol
“New owners - What's going on at this place ?”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Having seen some good reports for the above, we decided to visit last Friday lunchtime (24th July 2009)

I phoned to book a table on Thursday evening at 8:35pm and left a message on their answerphone leaving my telephone number and asking them to confirm everything was OK.

Almost an hour went by, and anxious to confirm with our friends, I rang again and this time the phone was answered, I explained about the message I had left, and they confirmed they had a table available.

We arrived promptly at 1 o'clock and were surprised to see the pub was almost empty, we asked for our table and the young man sheepishly directed us to a lady who was dealing with some other customers.

When she finished we repeated our request to which she replied, "Sorry they were not serving food, as the chef couldn't cope"

We were flabbergasted she then went on to say that they had only taken over the pub 2 months ago as if this was some sort of excuse.

I asked why they had taken the booking if this was the case, and why they hadn't telephoned us, as we had made a wasted 70 mile round trip.

No explanation was forthcoming.

Well I must say it was a first for us, and I suppose the moral of the story is to make sure the reviews and recommendations are up to date.

However all was not lost we had an excellent lunch at Goodfellows in the town

3 Thank androidGB
Bristol, England
“Didn't try the Tomato juice or Coke !!”
Reviewed 5 April 2009

But did try the food and it was exceptional.Italian cooking of the highest order, you may wait a while but the food is quite obviously freshly prepared and cooked to perfection.
The dining room is very pleasant and the service couldn't be faulted. If you are in the Wells area please do take the short drive out to this fine Pub/ Restaurant, and we hope you enjoy your meal as much as we did.

1 Thank caro103
somerset
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not good very poor”
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We recently had a meal here and did not enjoy it one bit there did not seem to be a children's menu. My husband had a tomato juice but there was so much worcester sauce it was undrinkable, the diet cokes that we ordered were very much watered down.

The meals we had mine was undercooked my daughter's overcooked my other daughter's glass was dirty and she also felt sick eating the pasta my husband and son had the same meal steak and they both had trouble eating it.

The garlic bread was ok.

Sadly this has put us off going back again

1 Thank pickles68
Wells, England
“Exceptional Italian Cuisine”
Reviewed 24 July 2008

This delightful village Inn offers a great ambience and fantastic food. Roberto and Luanna offer Italian and English cuisine to an exceptionally high standard. There is a large selection of pasta dishes which are absolutely delicious plus a good choice of meat and fish dishes, cooked freshly to order and well worth waiting for. The wine is not overly expensive as in some restaurants, and there is ample choice. I have been twice this week and can't wait to go again. The word is spreading amongst the locals and it's becoming a very popular place to eat. There is also a separate bar for drinkers. Highly recommended - give it a try.