“Nothings too much”

Grills & Greens
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Cuisines: British, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charmouth, United Kingdom
“Nothings too much”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Nothing is too much for the staff of this restaurant. We called in and craved a bacon sandwich with our coffee. No problem and we had a great char grilled bacon sandwich. Our mistake was not to have any relish for it was so big it soon became a bit dry. Another time we called and my pizza was again good but the omelette unlike others was a bit rubbery. No problem it was taken away and taken off the bill. Quickly dealt with replacement offered but the pizza was so big with the fries we just kept what we had. Just a good place to go for quality and easy service. Its a bit children full at weekends but enough space to avoid those wanting to make a noise.

• Visited October 2013

Godalming, UK
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Have been here a few times, not really regularly, but did visit because they have macaroni cheese on the kids' menu, and I know my youngest will eat that with ease. This last visit was a Sunday lunchtime, the restaurant was not full, but service was slow and inept. Not sure if the waiter was new and/or badly trained. Examples of the bad service: had to ask for cutlery, waiter half cleared the table, then didn't return. After waiting a while longer, had to call someone else over to finish the job, and then ask again for the kids' ice cream and dessert menus.

Neither my husband nor I could be bothered with pudding. It's usually my favourite course, but the main courses were nothing to write home about. I had fishcakes, which were ok, but seemed bought in to me. However, there was a lot of grease on my plate (from the chips and fishcakes?), so much so, that it made the limp plain lettuce on my plate too greasy to eat. My husband's pizza was "ok, but I've had a lot better".

My other gripe is the Diet Coke. It's always served from large bottles, and today was not the first time I've been served flat(or flat-ish) coke. £1.85 is a lot for a small glass of flat coke. The second one I was brought was marginally better than the first, but still not great, so I changed it for another drink.

On the plus side, the kids like their food: macaroni cheese, and fish and chips, and ice cream.

However, I've now given up on Grills and Greens, and won't be returning.

• Visited October 2013
Tim F, Manager at Grills & Greens, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
We had a bad day today. This response kind of applies to the other review from today as well - trying to kill two birds with one stone if you will.

So.
Staffing issues are never the customer's problem. They do however arise from time to time and last minute illness meant that new staff had to put their best foot forward rather than shadow someone experienced as planned. With the best will in the world service was always going to be an issue and for that I can only apologise.

I sincerely hope both reviewers from Sunday 6th would reconsider their position on returning to Grills and Greens in light of the above and that anyone else reading their reviews doesn't base a decision on whether or not to give us a try on either of them as we continue to pride ourselves on our warm welcome and our great value, well cooked, locally sourced food.
Surrey
“Bad service-avoid”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Visited here for Sunday lunch, it was terrible. Took ages to get everything, including drinks. Should have left rather than chasing them to pay the bill as they all sat chatting in the back corner, paying no attention to their paying customers. Definitely will not be coming back.

Godalming
“Standards Slipping”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have been using this restaurant on a regular basis for a number of years. The standards have slipped to the point where I believe they need to close it for a period of time and clean the restaurant and probably revamp it.
The quality of the fare and the choices on their menu is getting less & less. The meal was tasteless & the quality not great.
Initially this was a good clean establishment however standards have not been maintained in that
housekeeping is poor and overall ambiance is jaded.

• Visited August 2013
Tim F, Manager at Grills & Greens, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
A refurb is certainly overdue and we are currently looking at ways that we can bring the decor up to scratch. Work has actually started in the toilets and is ongoing - unfortunately as a small independent business we are not in a position to close and refurb the place wholesale - if only!

I always feel it's a shame not to be offered the opportunity of addressing food issues when they arise. It allows us to rectify the problem where possible and helps us to avoid repeating mistakes in the future. We continue to strive for good quality, well cooked food which represents great value for money and feedback, good or bad, is always welcome, particularly from our regular guests. It's personally disappointing for me (I've managed the place for a while now) to hear about a perceived decline in standards and plan a top to bottom review of the restaurant to see where we can improve.
England
“lovely - great food, service and ambience”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is SUCH a good 'local' restaurant! From the cheery red umbrellas shading the outside tables to the relaxed stylish interior this place is a great find. The food is freshly cooked, hot and delicious - the breakfast menu is excellent (pancakes and crispy bacon - yum!) and breakfast is served til 12 when the lunchtime menu takes over. As well as the menu there's always a huge range of specials (ranging from the pie of the day to the fishcakes of the day). The prices are very reasonable and the service from the smiley ladies is first class - oh and there's wifi too!

• Visited August 2013