“Quick and Delicious”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
London, England, United Kingdom
“Quick and Delicious”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We were visiting my parents who recommended this place. The staff were very helpful and efficient and the food came without delay which is great when you have young kids. The kids had pizza (yummy they said and it all went) and the grilled chicken with a choice of sauces and courgette chips was divine. Excellent value £40 for 4 of us.

Godalming, United Kingdom
“Misleading menu and slow service”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We visited on a slow Thursday for early lunch sitting. While kids food arrived swiftly it was quite salty and they forgot side dishes and drinks the chicken was very dry

They advertise a 'pie of the day' where as this used to be homemade, today it is a defrosted pukka-style pie. Over priced at 8.95 with mash.

This restaurant is not what it used to be and considering there is now more competition in town they could and should do better.

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Visited for breakfast. My young son's pastries were brought very quickly as requested & the rest of the food arrived soon after. Excellent food & good sized portions. Service was very efficient & very reasonable priced. Definitely recommend.

Visited October 2013
Charmouth, United Kingdom
“Nothings too much”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Nothing is too much for the staff of this restaurant. We called in and craved a bacon sandwich with our coffee. No problem and we had a great char grilled bacon sandwich. Our mistake was not to have any relish for it was so big it soon became a bit dry. Another time we called and my pizza was again good but the omelette unlike others was a bit rubbery. No problem it was taken away and taken off the bill. Quickly dealt with replacement offered but the pizza was so big with the fries we just kept what we had. Just a good place to go for quality and easy service. Its a bit children full at weekends but enough space to avoid those wanting to make a noise.

Godalming, UK
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Have been here a few times, not really regularly, but did visit because they have macaroni cheese on the kids' menu, and I know my youngest will eat that with ease. This last visit was a Sunday lunchtime, the restaurant was not full, but service was slow and inept. Not sure if the waiter was new and/or badly trained. Examples of the bad service: had to ask for cutlery, waiter half cleared the table, then didn't return. After waiting a while longer, had to call someone else over to finish the job, and then ask again for the kids' ice cream and dessert menus.

Neither my husband nor I could be bothered with pudding. It's usually my favourite course, but the main courses were nothing to write home about. I had fishcakes, which were ok, but seemed bought in to me. However, there was a lot of grease on my plate (from the chips and fishcakes?), so much so, that it made the limp plain lettuce on my plate too greasy to eat. My husband's pizza was "ok, but I've had a lot better".

My other gripe is the Diet Coke. It's always served from large bottles, and today was not the first time I've been served flat(or flat-ish) coke. £1.85 is a lot for a small glass of flat coke. The second one I was brought was marginally better than the first, but still not great, so I changed it for another drink.

On the plus side, the kids like their food: macaroni cheese, and fish and chips, and ice cream.

However, I've now given up on Grills and Greens, and won't be returning.

Tim F, Manager at Grills & Greens, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
We had a bad day today. This response kind of applies to the other review from today as well - trying to kill two birds with one stone if you will.

So.
Staffing issues are never the customer's problem. They do however arise from time to time and last minute illness meant that new staff had to put their best foot forward rather than shadow someone experienced as planned. With the best will in the world service was always going to be an issue and for that I can only apologise.

I sincerely hope both reviewers from Sunday 6th would reconsider their position on returning to Grills and Greens in light of the above and that anyone else reading their reviews doesn't base a decision on whether or not to give us a try on either of them as we continue to pride ourselves on our warm welcome and our great value, well cooked, locally sourced food.