“shambolic organisation - avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Godalming Hotel

and 1 more site!
Godalming Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Stowmarket
“shambolic organisation - avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

I turned up at 7pm with my wife and three children, so you can imagine our consternation on being told by the (foreign) they had no booking for us! On closer enquiry they admitted there was a handwritten note with our details on it, but that it "had not been entered into their system", and they were now fully booked. They offered a rather weak apology, but did not offer to help us find alternative accommodation. I was promised that the owner (to whom I had made my original booking) would call to apologise. I have heard nothing. Wrote to complain, ditto. I shall not be trying that place again. My wife commented she was glad we did not stay there as it stank of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank suffolkchazza
GuildfordMonty, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2011
Our hotel is completely non-smoking apart from the car park. Smoke detectors are fitted in all rooms and open areas so there is no possibility to smoke anywhere in the hotel, so the comment about the hotel stinking of cigarettes is completely untrue. I am amazed at this comment and I think the fact that no review has ever mentioned a smell of smoke is proof of this reviews lack of truthfulness

I am happy to hold rooms without credit card details for a few hours but I cannot reserve rooms without a valid credit card

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

Clean, newly refurbished & tastefully-decorated public areas. Excellent breakfast, helpful staff. Privately-owned, I wish them all the success in the world. Kevin Simmons, 24/2/11.

• Stayed February 2011
Antibes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

A lovely hotel, close to Godalming town center. Very attentive and friendly staff. Rooms are nicely decorated as is the dining room and foyer. I couldn't ask for more for the price. Recommend to anyone looking for a clean, friendy and convenient place to stay near Godalming.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

This hotel was at first glance an unusual hotel, whose exterior perhaps does not convey some unusual grandeur. Luckily the interior is immaculate, with an intrigueing architecture, fine lounge area, beautifully decorated breakfast dining space, and rooms that fulfill all your major needs. For a business trip, it was exactly what you would want. Excellent full english breakfast with toast and preserves that is served freshly cooked, rather than as a buffet. Just allow 5 minutes for it to be cooked. The rooms, whilst certainly not spacious, have a very good quality bed, freeview on the side, plenty of electrical outlets for computers/phone chargers, and good lighting. As an added bonus the rooms have a DVD player, so bringing a film for the evening is possible. And the amenities are modern and kept very clean, with a towel provided for the excellent and easy-to-control shower.

In terms of its location, it is within walking distance to the town of Godalming, which is a quiet town with a few nice restaurants and take-away areas, and some delightful old architecture. Because it is quite small, there is no restaurant for dinner in the evenings, only breakfast, so late-night meals are a short walk away.

Overall it is an excellent experience.

Overall, it is a bargain given the quality of the stay, and is easily recommended for those who have a day or two to spend in the Guildford area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

Nicely furnished modern interior, comfortable and quiet double room at the rear of the property away from the busy main road. Friendly staff -- and a good breakfast. Suited my wife and I very well.

Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed here for one night for a friend's wedding in Godalming and I was a little dubious based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed in Room 9 at the top of the hotel overlooking the back. It was lovely and quiet, the room clean and tidy, a bit cluttered, but served our needs pefectly well.

Had our breakfast which was very nice, very simple and not much choice, but we enjoyed it.

My partner and I stay in lots of hotels for leisure and business. We have both stayed in other hotels that charge and claim far more than the Godalming hotel and have really let us down, but the Godalming Hotel was just right.

Also given that it's only a couple of miles to Guildford I think it's a very reasonable price for its location

Cambridge, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

Booked a room at the Godalming hotel on Tue 18 Jan. Needed somewhere to stay the night before going to see Top Gear filming. Perfectly pleasant stay, my girlfriend and i stayed in room 3 on the ground floor and it was more than aqequate in size. The room was very clean and my only complaint would have been that the bed was a bit too soft, but that's just my personal preference. Thre staff were friendly enough, but there was a slight issue with the language barrier. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Premier Inn Godalming Hotel
Asperion
Asperion
#1 of 11 in Guildford
Angel Posting House and Livery

Been to Godalming Hotel? Share your experiences!