“Rubbish,untrustworthy,avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Godalming Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Denmark
“Rubbish,untrustworthy,avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

I made the mistake of using this hotel, if you are going to book, totally against my advice, then make absolutely sure you have written confirmation of the booking.

I visited twice in person to make sure it was legitimate and the manager seemed friendly enough, so I advised guests at our wedding to stay there, as it was convenient and cheap. I came to severly regret that decision.

A few months before the wedding one of our wedding guests from overseas had phoned in to book up 7 rooms.She also gave a credit card number over the phone to confirm the booking. About a month later the owner rang her back to ask again for the credit card number which he had lost - which should have been warning enough, but we trusted that it would be ok as he had all he needed now.

A week before the wedding, I wanted to be absolutely sure the bookings were ok as the guests were from overseas, so I myself rang up to confirm all the bookings.

To my horror I found out that he had "lost" all the bookings, he claimed to have never spoken to me before (even though I visited twice), he claimed he never got a credit card for any bookings (even though we have the phone record to prove he rang up the wedding guest to get the lost credit card number), and he lied his way through the conversation. I totally lost it, as now these 10 overseas guests had nowhere stay for our wedding, all the local hotels were booked up, and this guy was just lying to me, talking absolute crap, and then they hung up.

Anyway the hotel was full, so I had to find 7 rooms for 10 people right at the last minute, plus I had to rearrange all the transport that had been booked in advance.

When two of my other guests from overseas booked independently, and when they turned up, he had cancelled their booking, because I got so angry at him. So I had to find them a place to stay as well...the story just doesn't end...

Basically they keep all their bookings in a book, which gets lost from time to time. It is quite simply the worst hotel you can possibly think of, do not stay there, ever.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank cju198

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Farnborough, Hants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

Our experience was very positive. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our room (no. 9) was nicely decorated and comfortable - in fact I've never slept so well in a hotel.
The breakfast is very good, with excellent service from the staff.
Located just a few minutes walk from Godalming town centre, a bonus from a non-driver such as myself. Some lovely countryside nearby to walk in.
Worth the £60 a night? Certainly!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Bristol, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed here for one hight when attending a training course in the town. Hotel very clean, en-suite immaculate, bed comfy, but other services basic. Breakfast was adequate - no dinner on offer. Good value for an overnight stay, but I wouldn't be very keen to stay for longer.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights while attending a friend's wedding and we found the place to be charming and provided us with exactly what we needed. Breakfast was good and the decoration of the place was modern and bright. It is located a five minute walk away from the town centre which was a beautiful place. For the money this is well worth it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
rburns169
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

I had a very positive experience.,
The staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The rooms were clean, comfortable and well decorated.
The interior of the hotel is beautifully decorated - the lights in the hallways are exquisite.

The breakfast is very good, though the breakfast area gets quite busy but I guess that just reflects the popularity of the hotel.

Prices are by far the best you will get around

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rburns169
GuildfordMonty, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2009
Thank you for your response. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to the staff.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

Initially there was some confusion with my booking, which the staff dealt with courteously.

On the second day of my three day stay, Mrs McNeil the owner came to my room and suddenly demanded full payment in a very intimidating manner. Bizarrely, accusing me of lying and being; "the next thing to a criminal"

The hotel was shabby with dirty carpets, toilets not working, dirty windows and dead flies on the windowsill.

My ATTIC room which overlooked a very busy and noisy road felt like a prison cell, being six foot square, with no wardrobe and scruffy old furniture. The place also had a peculiar rotten smell.

Please don't stay here, unless you really enjoy 'Faulty Towers'.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank yamidude

Travellers are raving about these Godalming hotels

Chelmsford, Essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

This hotel is now known as the Godalming Hotel and I understand has been completely refurbished. I was visiting family in the area and needed a bed for one night. Having read reviews on other sites I thought it sounded good. I booked the room direct with the hotel and the lady was very friendly. Upon entering the hotel I could tell that it all looked very new but little minor things let it down in my opinion. The carpeting up to the rooms needed a good clean and vacuum. The rooms have lovely sleigh beds and new bedding and the en-suite had brand new tiling and bathroom suite. On the minus side the rug in the room sitting on the hard-wood flooring looked like it hadn't seen a vacuum for a month; the bed-side lamp did not work, the t.v. only worked on channels 3 and 4; the window sill was littered with dead flies and the room felt generally grubby. Having said that the bed was comfortable. Because of the lack of cleanliness I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Premier Inn Godalming Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,788 reviews
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Godalming Hotel? Share your experiences!